Naza F450 Flipping during takeoff

Hi all,

Last night around 10PM I put the finishing touches on my shiny new F450, and was able to get it off the ground and fly it briefly around my tiny apartment. I did several takeoffs to get a handle on how far up the throttle I'd have to go to get it to lift off. I even have a video of it hovering as evidence.

Today during my lunchbreak I went into a garage that's under construction (no wind or people around) to do a few more tests with more room. Upon liftoff, the front two legs come off the ground, but the back two stay, this causes it to stand up on two legs (a neat trick, but not what I'm looking for) and run the risk of the props hitting the ground. I tried a dozen times, powering off each time. It still tries to flip over. On the last try, I gave it extra throttle and it flipped over and bent the edge of the prop (got to buy extras UGH)

So my question is: What could have possibly changed from last night to noon today to cause the thing to fail like this? The only thing I've done is take the battery off for charging. All of the props are spinning in the correct direction and can't be put on upside down; it seems like the back two or at least one of them is going the wrong way, but I know it's not. Underpowered maybe?

Can you think of anything that I might have done?

Thank you very much for your time and help with my issue!

kloner

Aerial DP
sounds like the props got flipped around or the motor direction/calibration of the esc got reset

is this dji esc's or something else?

make sure the props are on the right motors and that the motors are spinning right? might also check your gain settings on the assistant again just to make sure there around 100 each

Hi Kloner, thank you for your quick response!

Everything is stock on the F450 from DJI, props, escs motors, etc. I don't believe the props can be flipped over because of the notched hole. Even so, I checked and the tiny DJI logo was facing up on all four, so I don't think one could be reversed.

I'm baffled because last night it was fine - I don't have a PC and have to borrow one every time I use the NAZA Assistant so I can't check right now sadly. This isn't a good sign if the settings can somehow change without outside interference.

kloner

Aerial DP
there is left and right props....... on front if it is facing away from you looks like the outermost tips come together furthest from you, spin it 180 degrees, same thing. motors should spin that way, cup of prop should grab air spun that way. if you can post a pic,we can see which one needs fixin, most likely back 2 from your description

Wow, I bet you're right! I'm saddened though because I have work for another 5 hours at least before I can try after work if it's still light.

Thanks again for your help, I'm still learning :)

Zlin

I have an HT-FPV frame with a NAZA FC and had this same thing happen. After checking everything I realized that I had my flight mode switch in my tx set to stable when I initially powered up my quad. I'm not 100% sure that this is what caused my flip but after replacing a prop, putting the mode switch in acro mode and powering up the quad everything worked great again.

kloner

Aerial DP
these guys here all talk about always flying in atti mode, but it doesn't work for me either. i always take off in manual, only way both my nazas work right.

if i don't, it has no power, mid stick isn't altitude hold, etc.

If it has flown and hovered successfully, I can't see how a prop can possibly be on the motors in the wrong order. I suggest getting it back on the PC, read from the NAZA and see what the settings are. My money is on a NAZA issue and not props but I wouldn't fly it until you've checked it out on a PC. Maybe re-install NAZA back to factory defaults.

Thank you all for your help, I took off all the props and made sure to put them on corresponding to the direction of the motor and it worked! What a thrill to get the thing going on a long straight-away!! I'm so excited, and here i am sitting at my desk all sweaty like a kid - I love it!

It didn't handle like I thought it would (only experience before was the blasted Parrot AR drone) and I was interested to see that it doesn't turn like the drone, instead it strafes. Will take some getting used to but I cannot believe how responsive it is! I couldn't really get it to sit still, so clearly I must need to adjust the gain, but for a first "outdoor" flight, mission is complete!

Thanks again!

dazza22

hi everybody... i have had a similar thing happen .
it start when i swapped all my electrics , esc , motors , Naza camera gimbal and servo,s and futaba 2.4RX to a new frame (xaircraft 450 from a x525 which had at least 70- 80 hours flying !).
Any i had around 10-15 flights . Then on take off it flipped to the right . I tried again thinking it was pilot error but the same happened .
Then i realised that the gimbal servos were chatering .
I unpluged the power and then pluged it in again and all worked fine , that day i had another 4 flights.

Next day same again flipped and chatering servos.
Unpowered and repowered and back to working ...
Today on first flight i noticed when throttling up that it didnt feel right , so unplug and restarted and worked fine ..

any ideas

chees darren

kloner

Aerial DP
some spektrum tx/rx don't like to be fired up very close to each other. you might try making a habit of moving the tx away till it's booted.

another possibility is a dirty/loud deans connector making noise. you might take a screw driver and pair of pliers and make sure the spring part of the deans is making good contact and that the plugs clean inside