Very small quad for travel photography?

cman319

Hello,
I need to build a small multi + fixed GoPro for on location aerial photography small enough to fit in my hand-luggage (additionally to my normal photo equipment!). I do this because I realized that my big hexa + gimbal will not fit :) Did anybody ever try this? Any tips? Exchange of experiences?

My requirements are:
Fitting into 56x45x25cm case (with remote, batt+charger and part of my normal photo equipment) and quickly ready, payload Gopro2 fixed position but able to look almost forward to straight down + eventually fpv transmitter. Stable in the air (altitude hold) and flighttime min 10min per batt. Stable video is a plus. As light as possible (< 1.5kg) to fly as safely as possible around small groups of people (who are warned and aware of the dangers).

Ah yes, I have one week to do this..
icon12.png

Cheers

Bowley

One suggestion: X650, Naza FC, gopro mounting shoe, you would need an attachment for the range of angles you want with the gopro.
the X650 is 55cm motor to motor and should fit in your bag with the booms folded, landing gear and load hangers are push fit.

barnytj

I have done this with a DJI 330 Flame Wheel with Naza and GoPro2 attached with standard foot.. I also have a stinger tx that I will put on, but will have to drill the GoPro housing for the cable.

Has plenty of power and get 5mins endurance at 1750m with a 3S 2200.

View attachment 4106

Attachments

• quadsm.jpg
    quadsm.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 347

cman319

Hi all, I received and mounted a F330+naza and I am very happy sofar:

600gr frame + 415gr battery + 205gr gopro = 1240 gr, 4000mah 4S, +15min! flighttime.
Gopro adjustable from slightly up (prop free) to fully down (long gopro bracket) velcroed to battery.
and yes it can take off and land like this!! on the gopro housing + short rear plastic legs! but also easy to catch by hand.

good for photos but for video I miss the roll + tilt compensation. its probably ok for simple shots on a no-wind day. no jello effect!

easy to fly in the house, can fly through doorframes :)

and I found a copy- peli case which I can bring as handluggage and it all fits in without folding or dismounting.

Photo's made with it will next week

View attachment 4107View attachment 4108

M.

Attachments

• DSCN0711.JPG
    DSCN0711.JPG
    107.1 KB · Views: 304
  • DSCN0714.JPG
    DSCN0714.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 308

barnytj

There is no denying the F330/GoPro combo is a lot of fun, and it is possible to get fair video if you bring the gains down.. even in wind I've got some ok stuff by anticipating the direction and letting it drift with it. I do like cmans lower centre of gravity with the belly mounted battery, but would prefer not to have to remove the camera for each battery change - will play around with options and post a pic if I come up with anything I prefer.

cman319

The cloverleaf + dome will be available online soon (few weeks) ;)
All I can say now is that it works very well compared to the stick antenna, far less "snow" in the image at long distances..

Malcr001

The cloverleaf + dome will be available online soon (few weeks) ;)
All I can say now is that it works very well compared to the stick antenna, far less "snow" in the image at long distances..

Is it just going to be available for 5.8ghz antenna though? I ask seeing as I have a 1280mhz antenna.

Dewster

I think DJI's F450 is a nice size for portability. Maybe we'll see a foldable version of the F450 or something similar in size. My hexa is too big for real portability. I'll need a case that's 2'x2'x1.5' to transport it safely. A small quad would be perfect for getting someplace where vehicles are not capable of going.

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Where did you get the antenna from? I'm looking for ways to make my reception better. getting only 100-150m with a 600mw :cold:

Get a cloverleaf antenna. I have heard they work a lot better and just about to get myself one.

Regards, Gunter
via the Samsung

cman319

There is a cloverleaf inside the dome ;) (5.8ghz)
Its still a proto (from a known FPV supplier) but will be available soon on the market and it will be better and cheaper that what is now available...
If you are not patient make one yourself but without proper tuning results are not as good.

cman319

Today I added a tilt only gimbal (aluminium), could not help myself. Flies still great.
With tx and 4000mah 4S its 1310gr now..

small problem I found with the new hero2 gopro: no more useable live output when timelapsing under 10 seconds!!

View attachment 4150

Attachments

• DSCN0718.JPG
    DSCN0718.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 187

cman319

Aaarrgghhh, one day before my trip I crashed it (one broken leg) and I have a small scratch on my brandnew GoPro2.....
Running around to get spareparts now..
Took some testing pics at work, windy and lost it for 1 second when switching from fatsharks to my sunglasses: hit a tree..View attachment 4163

Attachments

• GOPR0102.jpg
    GOPR0102.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 323