Go Pro offerings - what to buy?

jackmulti

hello,

I am thinking of buying a Go Pro and would really appreciate if somebody could let me know the basic setups, what is what and what I should be buying for my quad. Where to start?

Thanks a lot!

Mactadpole

hello,

I am thinking of buying a Go Pro and would really appreciate if somebody could let me know the basic setups, what is what and what I should be buying for my quad. Where to start?

Thanks a lot!

Do you already have a mount or gimbal on your quad?

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
There are a lot of options available, the most basic being to simply stick a mounting foot to the top or bottom of the quad and be able to quickly install and remove the GoPro and case as needed. problem with that is you will get a fair amount of vibration and rolling shutter effect AKA Jello in the video. A little creativity with medium density foam and you can come up with something that will lessen the Jello effect, if you want the best you can get then you'll need some sort of gimbal with two axis of stabilization.

What frame and flight controller are you using? Knowing that will help narrow down the possibilities...

Ken

Bowley

The gopro is an ironic camera, because it is as well suited to AP as it is Ill-suited.
It ticks all the boxes, but you still just dont get great results, (not bad, just not great). and the way it handles colour, and light and the wide angle will bug the hell out of you. but its so bloody convenient, you just clip it on and away you go shooting video or stills with the intervalometer and live feed. it can only take you so far in terms of photographic quality.
I think when selecting cameras its all about compromise and sometimes you have to compromise practicality for good results. we all want the ultimate APAV camera 1080p 12+mp, Live AV out, remote triggering etc, I haven't found it yet, hence why I just have a couple of Gopros.
Having said all that,,,would I be without a gopro?? no way!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mactadpole

One possibility then is the X468.com Flamegear with gimbal. Seems to be getting some good feedback. You can check out some of their videos on youtube.

I just ordered the gopro gimbal from aeroxcraft.com that has been getting good feedback too. Don't know if it will work on 450.

Bowley makes some great points about the GoPro.

shawn

jackmulti

One possibility then is the X468.com Flamegear with gimbal. Seems to be getting some good feedback. You can check out some of their videos on youtube.

I just ordered the gopro gimbal from aeroxcraft.com that has been getting good feedback too. Don't know if it will work on 450.

Bowley makes some great points about the GoPro.

shawn

Do I really need a gimbal, provided i want to shoot only straight ahead?

Mactadpole

Absolutely not! Take a look around at pics of other setups, I know I have seen many of those 450's with GoPro's stuck on top and underneath. I don't have one of the 450's but I have used one of the GoPro adhesive mounts before and just stuck it to a frame plate and it worked fine.

Shawn

jackmulti

Absolutely not! Take a look around at pics of other setups, I know I have seen many of those 450's with GoPro's stuck on top and underneath. I don't have one of the 450's but I have used one of the GoPro adhesive mounts before and just stuck it to a frame plate and it worked fine.

Shawn

thanks. seems like a plan. appreciated.

Mactadpole

Here ya go: DJI 450 batwing. Looks like a good solution.

attachment.php

kloner

Aerial DP
I like the hero2 and i like mine hardmounted

024 (1024x768)_595.jpg

002 (1024x768)_595.jpg

pics that come out of it

278__1024x657_.jpg

086__1024x670_.jpg

IMO, alotta bang for the buck

best part is they crash well

even swim alright not sealed in a waterproof case
378 (800x600) (2)_595.jpg

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors

Heck no, when I first got my F450 I used two velcro straps to tie the bare GoPro to the front tab on the lower frame plate. Doing that with a set of 10 x 5 Graupner props it worked far better than I anticipated...

Ken

llbr22

I suggest buying the Outdoor edition. The head and chest mounts are handy for recording your flights while by yourself.

usnooz

Hi I have created 3 different options for my quad. hard mounted foam. foam on bracket with 60 degree tilt. Gopro case on bracket with 60 degree tilt. I'm waiting for my Naza to turn up before i find out wich is best.
I'm hoping the Gopro case is ok as its my prefered option.

View attachment 3889View attachment 3890

Attachments

• PIC00014.JPG
    PIC00014.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 318
  • PIC00012.JPG
    PIC00012.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 237

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
hi,
I'm obligated by rule 4, section 23, subparagraph B of the Forums Operations Internationals Rules to mention that if you're buying a GoPro, you can generate a small commission for multirotorforums.com by using the link at the bottom of the homepage to enter the GoPro store and make a purchase. GoPro automatically pays a commission when the sale is completed.

Thanks!
Bartman

RCNut

Guys,

I looks like there is a 2011 Hero 2 model (and maybe a 2012?)

What is the difference?

The Hero 2 is a 12MP camera and the Hero 1 is 5MP. The main result is better resolution for stills although the video resolution appears to remains the same (up to 1080p). It also has additional recording resolution settings. As far as I know its the same price the Hero1 was (and you might now get Hero 1 cameras at a significant discount).

For the amateur photographer and someone who wants to get reasonable quality video for youtube etc the GoPro is great. If you want professional results there are much better cameras but at a significant cost increase.

I also see Foxtech is advertising their new 1080p video FPV camera now with recording facility. I doubt its a good as the GoPro but then its 1/2 the price and very small.
http://www.foxtechfpv.com/horyzonhd-1080p-fpv-cam-preorder-p-498.html