One of my first flights with the F550

Billzilla

I used to muck around with model aeroplanes back in the late 70's and decided recently to get back into it.
I'm building a large model plane but in the mean time I thought I'd like a nice multicopter to fly around with.
So I got an F550 and after some stuffing around trying to figure out how it all works I finally got it all together and here's the video of one of the early flights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4rzq5nFJfA&feature=youtu.be

Not bad for a complete amateur! :)

That was done late this afternoon so the light wasn't too good. Tomorrow I'll go down to the local park and have a better fly around.

Billzilla

Thanks!
I'm waiting on some new bearing for one of the engines, as after the last flight (no video sorry) I found that the lower bearing had collapsed and the outer casing was wobbling around. I think it was because I had a little crash on the very first flight and it may well have done a bit more damage than what I first thought.
So in the meantime I put a motor I have from another project in the place of the DJI one to see how well it fits.
It's a bit bigger, but I think it'll work just fine!!

(Not really!)

Just out of curiosity I also looked at disconnecting the two outboard motors, leaving four in a symmetrical pattern, and doing a quick bit of re-wiring & reprogramming the Naza to turn it into a quadrotor so I could keep flying ....... but I'll wait instead.

Attachments

• hex1.jpg
    hex1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 307

Billzilla

Some more flights, some good some not so good.
Luckily the frame is very tough and the props are easy to replace!

I'm really embarrassed to show that I destroyed four Graupner props .... they are difficult to get. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

chad2323

Sorry to here about your crash. Thats why I don't buy Graupners I go through allot of props it would cost me a fortune lol. I find out that when I plug in the battery and arm it to fast it will not fly right I can usually tell how the motors sound. Now I just wait a bit and all is good. Love your views when you went up high very nice.

Chet

Tahoe Ed

Crashed my F550 today. 4 arms and 5 Graupner props It was my fault in that I did not properly bind my Tx, Dx8, to my Rx, AR8000. The receiver bound but the satellite did not. Crass and burn. Sorry about your crash.

Billzilla

Yeah it's a bit of a pain in the rear when they crash .... but it's relatively cheap to fix most things.
Chad - what I do now is start the motors, slowly rev them up to about 40% throttle and if it moves around or sounds funny I don't take off. Or at least that's what I'll do when or if than happens again, it's all been fine since.

I really have to play around with the various settings to try to make it more stable .... and of course lots more practice!

Edit - I found a place with more Graupner props, just ordered four pairs so when they arrive I'll have two complete sets. That should keep me going for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:

chad2323

Billzilla what size props are you using? Right now I'm using 9.5 Carbon Gemfan props and my 550 flies great but getting a wobble that I can't figure out. I tried everything resolder took the bullet connectors off and soldered but still not getting smooth hover. I'm just wondering if going up to 10" props will help.

Billzilla

The Graupners were 10 x 5's but I don't have enough to make a full set right now so I'm using the DJI 8" ones and not going very high or fast and only flying over soft grass. ;)

Mine is quite stable hovering no matter what props I use, but it does get a bit of a wobble going when I start descending after a big climb, you can see that in the second video a couple of times.