Futaba 8FG Super

Malinois1

I know this thread is old but I was wondering.... This Futaba is sold in two modes, Heli and Airplane. Which model do you use for Multirotors or does it matter>

My understanding of the difference between the two is that the throttle is springloaded on the heli version, and that the firmware is the same.
I got the airplane version and for aerial video that works best because then you can set your throttle for a slow climb or a slow descent and it will stay there. When the transmitter is first being setup, the first question it asks is "heli" or "airplane", and I set my MR up under "heli", but I know others use "airplane". The difference boils down to the names of the signals it uses, and the capabilities of linking one channel to another.

Its not that one has a spring loaded throttle, heli version has a smooth feel and aeroplane version has a ratchet feel to the stick. This can be changed at any time very simply if you do not like your original purchase choice. Even the mode of the radio can be changed (a little more complex).
Regards - bruce

I'm sure you're right Bruce, but now I'm puzzled because I ordered the 8FG (not the 8FGH, only because I didn't know that model existed) and my throttle is smooth. Is the marking on the Tx any different? Mine says "8FG" on the front and on the plate on the back.

Hi ProPilot, you have done the right thing they are all labelled 8FG the only difference is:-
Quote:-
"This is the helicopter version which will default to heli settings
when powered up and has a smooth throttle stick."
If you want to change the throttle stick (smooth to ratchet) you only have to swap a small stainless spring clip inside the radio.
Whether it boots into heli or acro mode when you first switch on does not matter, you can select whatever mode you want to use to setup a model anyway.
regards - bruce

If you want to change the throttle stick (smooth to ratchet) you only have to swap a small stainless spring clip inside the radio.
Nah.. I like the smooth feel for AP. a couple months go I saw a place that sold a spring loaded throttle 8FG and said it was ideal for helis. That's why I jumped to the conclusion it was the 8FGH; but after you prior post, I saw found what you quoted. Fun stuff!

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Yes..... I am 100% satisfied and it seems to be a preferred RC radio judging by the DJI preference to use the Futaba s.bus, and the hundreds of DJI and related videos where it most frequently appears. And here is some excellent videos on how to set it up with DJI products. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck3tu-4UVgg You can also buy an alternate Frysky 8 channel s.bus receiver for about 1/2 the price of the Futaba R6008sb or if you choose the new DJI A2 Flight controller, it has a compatible Futaba 14 channel receiver already built into the DJI flight controller......

My alternate choice would be the Spectrum RC systems which I believe have a more rugged construction and more precise joystick pots, control etc. but choose carefully so as to maintain strong as possible future migration for DJI products as they move forward.

Has anyone had any experience with the Futaba 8FG Super 12 Ch radio?
Is this a worthwhile buy? Thx

I found a good deal on a 8FG. I talked to the seller and he said it is the ratchet style for a plane. What is the procedure for changing it to smoother feel.
Gmahan3, I have not had to do that, but I know once upon a time a saw a YouTube video on it. Basically there is a little clip on the back side (covers off) that produces the ratchet, and I think you just remove it.

... I found one that should help...
http://youtu.be/RQ6ouHCtvXY

Last edited by a moderator:

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Why would you want to remove the ratchet style...... the plane mode is the one that all Multirotor pilots use (NOT THE HELICOPTER MODE)!!!

I found a good deal on a 8FG. I talked to the seller and he said it is the ratchet style for a plane. What is the procedure for changing it to smoother feel.

Why would you want to remove the ratchet style...... the plane mode is the one that all Multirotor pilots use (NOT THE HELICOPTER MODE)!!!
Sorry, gtransquilla, I would disagree with you. I would never want ratcheting on any of controls. As far as Tx mode, I only use helicopter mode, and I'd say many people I know personally have it setup the same way, as well as RTF vendors. I know there are plenty out there that use airplane mode, so I'd say the field is pretty split.

Maverick

All in good spirit, I would love to hear why each of you think your set up is the preferred method.

I just bent my spring back, away a bit from the throttle, so as to give a less ratchet feel. It's still there, only very slight. I also bent back the spring clip behind my right slider switch - RS, so as to give a much smoother feel and less notchy, as I use this slider for my camera gimbal tilt function. Much smoother transition between different camera angles.

All in good spirit, I would love to hear why each of you think your set up is the preferred method.
As maverick indicated, I'm all for smoother transitions on all my controls. Just as he indicated, I use the RS for gimbal tilt as well and the ratcheting was really messing with my video. As far as ratcheting on the throttle, again, I want precise control of my throttle for smooth motion. While flying I am always just moving the throttle ever so slightly, and the ratcheting would just force the position into one of its discrete increments.

As fas as the 8FG software setup, there really isn't any reason to do heli versus airplane. Some people I know (including myself) just configured it with heli the first time (because it's how I was taught via YouTube of wherever) and got it to work and got confortable with it, so no reason why change. Others were more confortable with the airplane menus and signal names, and more power to them if that's what they prefer.

Maverick

As maverick indicated, I'm all for smoother transitions on all my controls. Just as he indicated, I use the RS for gimbal tilt as well and the ratcheting was really messing with my video. As far as ratcheting on the throttle, again, I want precise control of my throttle for smooth motion. While flying I am always just moving the throttle ever so slightly, and the ratcheting would just force the position into one of its discrete increments.

As fas as the 8FG software setup, there really isn't any reason to do heli versus airplane. Some people I know (including myself) just configured it with heli the first time (because it's how I was taught via YouTube of wherever) and got it to work and got confortable with it, so no reason why change. Others were more confortable with the airplane menus and signal names, and more power to them if that's what they prefer.

PPWB,

Have you eliminated the notchiness completely on your throttle, or just left it milder...? If so, how...? If I bend my spring clip back too far, then my throttle just flaps up and down with gravity - it won't stay still!

PPWB,
Have you eliminated the notchiness completely on your throttle, or just left it milder...? If so, how...? If I bend my spring clip back too far, then my throttle just flaps up and down with gravity - it won't stay still!
I bought the heli version right off the bat, so it didn't have the ratcheting on the throttle. Sorry if it sounded like I removed it; I was just justifying why no ratcheting on the throttle is desireable and why I am glad I have the heli version. However, I still do have it on RS and plan to do what you did.
But that's a bummer that removing the clip removes all tension. Obviously flapping around of the throttle stick makes it useless.
Sorry I wasn't better help on that.

Maverick

No worries... I just had to make sure there was still enough friction on the throttle to hold it in place...

N.B. Removing the clip on the RS doesn't make it flap about. It still holds its position nicely. And it still clicks for mid-travel...

R6Media

I personally prefer the ratchet mode with my 8FG configured in airplane mode simply because when i was configuring that's what the guy in the video tutorial suggested. I can't imagine there is any kind of performance difference. I like the consistency of throttle location with the ratchet. If I need a little boost but don't want a set click up I just use trim.
My original flight TX was smooth but when i got my cam operator TX and it was wratcheted. I just swapped out the parts.
Too each they're own.