DJI 30A Opto ESCs and Axi 2814/22 motors

Has anyone out there had any experiences of using a combination of Wookong-M, DJI 30A Opto ESCs and Axi 2814/22 motors ? The reason that I ask is that after some waiting (due to other commiments) I finally got the quad re-build together again but using 4S batts. DJI 30A Optos and a new undercarriage...I just cannot get my machine to fly as I would like and expect...it is difficult and erratic for take-off, after a short period of time and although the throttle is at max. there is just not enough power to even take-off, sometimes it just flips...consequently I have lost a few props. I've also tried going back to using 3S batts with very similar problems. Assuming my set-up is all OK (it flew beautiful before) I'me beginning to suspect the ESCs...any ideas ?

mailman35

it sounds like there are other problems....
im flying a f450 naza, with 2814's on both 3s and 4s and have no problems.

Sorry about the delayed response...
Boris, the weights are when driven by 2 x 3S = 3135g. and when driven by 2 x 4S = 3355g.
Mailman, I agree. Before the rebuild it lew OK with the Wookong-M, 3s or 4S and Turnigy Plush 30A ESCs. The items that are different now are the new undercarriage and DJI 30A Opto ESCs. I don't know what to do now for the best.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
david what props do you have on ?

Just doing an ecalc for you in the background !

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Concerning 3s you shouldnt try it, you are way over with 3400 grams.

View attachment 3549

4s is also on the heavy side but doable.

View attachment 3548

Okay coming to the point it worked before and now not anymore. I never had any DJI ESCs but can you calibrate throttle just like with other ESCs and have you done that ? Any thing besides the motors distribution etc getting warm when you try to take off, or better said getting hot

Boris

ups switchted the pics

Attachments

• dave4s.jpg
    dave4s.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 267
  • dave3s.jpg
    dave3s.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 269
Last edited by a moderator:

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Can you test it in manual with someone holding it over head and you ginving throttle in manual and the person telling you if it get light and wants to take off or not. Dont let it take off because it to dangerous for the person under it, but it also havnig issue in manual than i would really say its something witht he escs

Boris

Boris, I hear what you are suggesting...the weights that I gave earlier were total weights for 2 of each type of battery...ie..2P x 3S = 3135g. but I thought that with the 2P x 4S weighing in at 3355g. might be a bit difficult but just doable or am I looking at ecalc from a naff viewpoint (that means I hav'nt got a clue). Nothing appears to be getting hot although the ESCs are slightly warm and the motor casings are just a little bit warmer but nothing else that I would write to home about.
Redridinghood, I do have a couple of sets of APC 12 X 4.5 but I guess that I am hesitant at attempting other 'things' yet although strangely enough ecalc says that if using these props. (12 x 4.5 APC) and 2P X 4S then its good to go.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
David stick with the 13 inch looking at ecalc with the 12 4.5 your in the throttle range of 80% to hover that to much. Good is around 50% or under.

Or am I misunderstanding you somewhere on the way. Your test were it dosent take off are already with the full 3400 grams ?

View attachment 3557

Attachments

• dave12x45.jpg
    dave12x45.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 249
Last edited by a moderator:

Boris, the take-offs are eratic and unpredictable. Sometimes the craft just flips over to one side (and sometimes a prop or two breaks). On occasions when I have been successful in take off I can throttle up to a few metres and it initially stays put then starts to descend slowly, touches down (bounces really) and then ascends again. If I continued to allow it to fly it would carry on doing this and also going off-course. On a couple of occasions I have allowed it to descend and touch down and then there is just not enough 'power to get it airborn again. I Am really frustrated by this and my rate of prop. breaking. When using either battery sets I seem to get very similar if not identical problems.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
David get your quad as light as possible, totally forget about using 3s with the axis pop one of your 4s lipos on it and test it again.

If you fly 3s your are up to 80%+ throllte to hover I understand the behavior you are experiencing after some time even when using 4s you voltage drops thus your probably having even more issue keeping it in the air hovering.

The question inside or outside is do to the atiitude mode using th baros sensor. I notice a coupe time flying inside to temp difference between inside and outside and the wind blowing outside that the alt hold does crazy stuff, like the bird landing and take off again without me having touched the throttle.

The flipping i cant explain at the moment. Do you have a build thread to this bird ?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
before you take it out for the next spin please state excatly what weight it had and which props you had on !

And tell us what the behavior was.

Boris

Boris, I'll do as you suggest and use just one of the 4S LipOs. I'm almost at the point though of putting the Turnigy ESCs back on just to see if it is anything to do with the DJI ESCs...but thats a longer job and will have to wait until tomorrow evening before I can get around to doing that but I will try out the single LiPO first.r

Boris, unfortunately I never had a build thread to this project...it is just a 1001copters Alu framed Bagherra 600 frame with the undercarriage designed and built by Gunter. The rest of the craft is as I have informer earlier on. I'll take note of all the detail on tomorrow's outing and get back to you then. Hey, many thanks for your time here.

Boris, I have just installed a single 4S 5000mAh battery, set the Wookong-M assistant up for clibrated 16.8 Volts with a 1st level no-load for 13.8 Volts and a 0.2 Volts loss. The 2nd level I set up for a no-load value of 13.4 Volts and again with a loss of 0.2 Volts. Its total weight is 2780g.

It found the satelites quick enough and I was able to start the props rotating OK. I attempted to throttle up to take off (carefully and slowly) and it reached a point where it flipped backwards and broke the tip off of the right/rear prop. I replaced it with my last prop of that type but unfortunately the same thing happened again. Guess what...I'm hacked off...am I missing out on something or is it my now very cautious 'flying' abilties. I have a couple more full sets of props. on order from the Electricwingman, hopefully being delivered tomorrow. I do have a mind though to put the Turnigy Plush 30A ESCs back on the craft. I know it sounds pushey but have you any other thoughts on this ?

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
If its flipping than there can be two reason, maybe you really have a faulty DJI ESC or double triple quadruoble check that you wired the esc correctly, motor spin directio, prop mounting, IMU orientation etc. and didnt change anything in you settings by accident after the ESC change.

Its just a strange one that it takes off sometime but has a problem to hold height and has no throttle punch left and than sometime just flips. Hard to pinpoint !

One thing i clear though 3400 grams with 3s is a no go. 3400 4S staying with the bigger props is okay. But even a overload on weight should not cause a flip. And now we know even with less weight on it it flips.

Boris