flying over water!

diverdan

I wan to fly over water and film some wildlife. I am little nervous, but want people experiences.
I will be taking off from a boat, and landing on the deck.
Has anyone put floats on their rig?
I plan only to fly in zero wind, and flat seas.

Dan

J.T.

Spiralling out of control
Bloody hell Dan, that's a lot of kit to dunk in the sea. I did some work on a reservoir and put some pipe lagging on the riggers so if the worst happened at least it would float.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I hear ya. I am a kitesurfer and one of the hopes getting into this was shooting over water. But it is nerve racking. I guess you are either rich, ballsy, stupid, extremely confident or a little of all those. One answer I am looking into is using a glider like all the fpv guys use such as the skywalker. They can float, glide with a motor out, dont cost as much, can handle flying right into the wind with a slower stall speed. BUT you are limited to a damn gopro. I want to see when people start putting nex5n's in their foam gliders. more than possible. Hell, the avergae guy on here has got $4500 in the air at any one given time. It will always be less to put it in a plane. You just cant hover.

And I dont think Jeff is a good candidate as he part owns quadrocopter and can probably grab a new heli if things go bye bye. Just saying, he is a great pilot and photographer but it certainly doesnt hurt your confidence when there are more toys in the garage waiting to be "tested."

Last edited by a moderator:

Stacky

Im messing around with building a waterproof quad for filming surfing. Basically Im not too worried about the motors, Im not using expensive ones and as long as i can keep my FC safe Im happy. 4 cheap rctimer motors, 4 turnigy plush esc, a battery, a jakub gimbal with a gopro and maybe a CC board with wooden arms (added bouncy) and the overall cost isn't too much. So far it looks ugly but nobody will see footage of it in the air....

Macsgrafs

I live on the coast so 80% of my flying is over water. Just think positive...think to yourself its solid ground & you will be fine. My 2nd & 3rd flights with my Droidworx SJ8 with full camera gear was over a river!

Ross

kloner

Aerial DP
I've been flying my planes and helis over the colorado river for years. Most favorite place i've ever flown. and yea, i've crashed. where i'm at the water is sand bars to a few feet deep. Theres some deep pockets, but then flattens back out to shallow so if it does go down, comes back up not far away. You can bet my f450 is gonna be next in line. looking forward to filming some boats.

haven't been there since getting into mr's, can't wait

heres a crash for ya, since i know that's all your wanting to see
flew a couple hours later that made the aeroworks yak vid above. i crashed it the first flight of the weekend. came home and sold it, tip stalling piece of crap

Last edited by a moderator: