GoPro video letterboxing

pilotfuller

Ladies and Gentlemen,

So I have a GoPro Hero2 and I'm trying to send live video from it's composite plug through a standard 900mhz TX/RX and onto a 16:9 screen and a set of eyetopper glasses. On both displays I get black bar letterboxing on the top and bottom. The video is set up on 1080. I'd say that my TX/RX is messed up but the funny thing is that I can see the little camcorder icon that lets me know what mode the GoPro is on, and this little icon extends above the video into the black bar. So why is it cutting off my video? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Michael

RCNut

Hi Pilotfuller

Do you have the GoPro set to the 1080P WIDE setting? If so its got a 170 degree field of view (fov) which displays as a very wide screen. I have the GoPro Hero1 and I use the 760P setting specifically to get the 170 degree FOV for better FPV visibility but it does result in letterboxing on my goggles. Try changing to the 127 degree setting (Medium) and see if it fills your 16:9 wide screen display. The Narrow 90 degree fov should give you the old 4:3 display.

Cheers

Ian

kloner

Aerial DP
you have to use wvga or 960 mode to get the top/bottom filled. it is SD format. the 960 still records enough to make some good footage. The wvga is pretty low res format

the narrow 1080 is still 16:9

pilotfuller

Ahhh I see. I guess the little car TV I have isn't true 16:9 then. I assumed it was since I can toggle between 4:3 and 16:9. And since 1080 is 16:9 I figured it would just fit right in there. Which is why I was confused about being able to see the camera icon. Thanks for the replies!

kloner

Aerial DP
in camera setup under "more" has an osd visible option. it's nice it shows the battery life, but is kinda big and in the way if you run osd

Coomkeen

I have exactly the same problem.
Hero 2, video output.
Haven't set up the TX/RX yet, but am feeding the composite video from the GoPro directly into an 8" screen.
What seems to be, is that the GoPro outputs a 4:3 signal regardless of any recording settings, and just letterboxes the 16:9 down to the middle of the 4:3 frame.
So you get black bars top and bottom (and of course either side too on a 16:9 screen).

No idea if the Hero 3 has any options that would sort this, but can't justify, or afford, and new GoPro just because of this.
Annoying though.