Carlton H

This is the hobby for a lifetime! I'm 71 and want something to occupy my time in a positive way. As a kid it was fascinating to watch other kids get dizzy while flying model airplanes with tiny gas engines in a circle tethered to a wire. We couldn't afford such 'luxury' back then, but it was fun to watch and learn. I built many plastic models of planes, cars, and HO train structures from kits. But never could I afford actual flight! Scale model flying has always been a dream for me! Now there are no wires, gas engines, and it's all controlled with a transmitter. Amazing stuff!

So I'm looking forward to this new world we have available.

To begin I bought a Snaptain S5C Drone thru Amazon. It scared the hell out of me on first launch! I will learn to fly it but it's too much for me right now. So I bought a nano drone F36 to learn on. It arrives next week.

RENOV8R

Welcome to the hobby and the forum. Yes, for someone new these little quads possess much more power than expected, I waould love to have been there to see the look on your face the first time you punched the throttle!

Carlton H

Thanks for the welcome words, Renover.
The look on my face? It's still there! It froze and I can't rid myself of it. Now my wife calls me Snaptain Puss.

Anyway, I have an idea.....In a method to control sudden ascents on the nano drone, do you think tethering it to a small weight with some twine would help one learn to hover? Iike training wheels on a bike. Only for short times so I don't burn out the motors.

RENOV8R

Thanks for the welcome words, Renover.
The look on my face? It's still there! It froze and I can't rid myself of it. Now my wife calls me Snaptain Puss.

Anyway, I have an idea.....In a method to control sudden ascents on the nano drone, do you think tethering it to a small weight with some twine would help one learn to hover? Iike training wheels on a bike. Only for short times so I don't burn out the motors.
not a good idea, not just the motors but the added stress on the battery. It's just a matter of stick time, after a few dozen packs, you'll develop muscle memory and you'll have total control

Carlton H

not a good idea, not just the motors but the added stress on the battery. It's just a matter of stick time, after a few dozen packs, you'll develop muscle memory and you'll have total control
I'm going to try it with the nano drone which should arrive here today sometime. Indoors. If I burn out a motor, well, that's how I learn things. And flight time doesn't matter. Actually, I don't know what to expect at all. I just feel compelled to try the tethered drone method. Just to keep it from falling behind a book case or the piano or other difficult spot.