Need Help! RunCam SkyPlus - no video

HexaTiger

So I just got my whole thing setup. I'm powering the camera through my Eachine ET600, which is transmitting to my Eachine EV800. I can access the settings for the camera through the included remote. However I get no video.
fd569e970f2124728137165504993f0e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So we know the camera is sending the signal, and the vtx is working since the OSD shows up in the goggles. Silly question, did you remove the lens cap? I ask because I have missed this before. You should get snow, not black screen on those goggles if it isn't working.

jamesb72

You just need to find someone else with a known good Camera/VTX/monitor to compare with.

I had problems with my first FPV setup, turned out my goggles had an intermittent fault, but with only one set I was baffled, I ended up buying a second set of goggles to troubleshoot and found the problem straight away - sine then I make sure I have two of everything so I can troubleshoot if something isn't working (ie swap cam/vtx/goggles to find a combination which works and then you can identify the faulty part).

HexaTiger

You just need to find someone else with a known good Camera/VTX/monitor to compare with.

I had problems with my first FPV setup, turned out my goggles had an intermittent fault, but with only one set I was baffled, I ended up buying a second set of goggles to troubleshoot and found the problem straight away - sine then I make sure I have two of everything so I can troubleshoot if something isn't working (ie swap cam/vtx/goggles to find a combination which works and then you can identify the faulty part).

Yeah I might just carry it all down to my local hobby shop and see if they have any parts I could drop in the system to see what's wrong.

jamesb72

That's a great idea, you just need to try your monitor with one of their camera/transmitters and vice versa, once you have a known good setup its much easier to work out what's going on, it could just be a bad connection/wire.

I checked and your camera is 5v so is vtx, as that was my first guess (a 12v camera on 5v can just give out black signal).

HexaTiger

That's a great idea, you just need to try your monitor with one of their camera/transmitters and vice versa, once you have a known good setup its much easier to work out what's going on, it could just be a bad connection/wire.

I checked and your camera is 5v so is vtx, as that was my first guess (a 12v camera on 5v can just give out black signal).

Yeah, when everything is new it's hard to identify a point of failure. However, once it's up and running, swapping in new stuff would reveal if they are broken.

Sounds like it has to be the camera, not the vtx or the goggles, since the camera settings OSD is showing up in the goggles. My guess would be that 7.4V may be too high for the camera. You might try to put a 5V BEC between the battery and camera. Does the camera give an input voltage range, or does it just say 5V input?

Edit: I just noticed You are powering the camera through the vtx so I'm not sure what to think. You could check the voltage coming out of the vtx with a multimeter.

HexaTiger

Sounds like it has to be the camera, not the vtx or the goggles, since the camera settings OSD is showing up in the goggles. My guess would be that 7.4V may be too high for the camera. You might try to put a 5V BEC between the battery and camera. Does the camera give an input voltage range, or does it just say 5V input?

Edit: I just noticed You are powering the camera through the vtx so I'm not sure what to think. You could check the voltage coming out of the vtx with a multimeter.

Per the camera spec, it supports 5-17V. I'm at a loss, other than the camera just being busted.

HexaTiger

Yeah, this is a perplexing one. You must be right, something wrong with the camera.

Update: as suggested the ET600 was not putting out 5V, more like 4.2V. The camera just wasn't getting enough juice. So I rewired the camera to run off of the balance port on my 2S FPV battery. System works!!! I'm so excited to fly this sucker. What's the deal with all the different camera settings?

Great news!

There is a really good youtube video on them from FinalGlide (this guy is awesome!).. He can explain better than me.