Imminent insanity

Cheshirecat

OK i am close to shouting at passing cars here.

I am sure i am missing something...But what is it???

I am trying to setup a custom mix in the WKM Assistant (Herkules Double Decker quad arrangement) this is know other have done successfully.

i all the motors physically arranged and wired correctly and these work properly with motor test and CSC with the default DJI Octo Coax mixer.
When i go into the custom mixer to setup the Andreas Baier non standard motor mix, the assistant software very cheerfully pops up a box telling me the Gimbal function has been closed to prevent the motor from rotating, the motors on F1 and F2

attachment.php

After entering the custom mixer values for all 8 motors and true to it's word i find the motor test only fires up motors 1-6 but not 7 and 8, this is also true when i do the CSC, motors 1-6 spin up at 100% Throttle (regardless of the TX stick position, which no longer has any bearing on the speed of the motors) and 7 & 8 do not start.
I have tried a full system reboot and Assistant software relaunch after setting the custom mixer values, no improvement.

I am using firmware 5.26, the ESC is a Herkules III, the TX a Futaba T14SG set to 14 Channel Fasstest and the receiver a Futaba R7008SB connected to the WKM By S-Bus. I am not using the F1 and F2 WKM Channel for Gimbal control and have that function switched off in the Assistant software.
If i switch on gimbal control Motors 7 and 8 spin up on their own but that bit i understand.

If i go back to the default DJI Octo Coax mixer everything works as it should, i want to adopt this mixer setup as it offers better yaw stability in the event of a motor failure (something i experienced recently)

So can anybody in the collective global brain that is Multirotorforums point out what this dummy is missing??? whilst i go out and shout at a tree that has been staring at me for the last hour:livid:

Attachments

• gimbal.JPG
    gimbal.JPG
    22.2 KB · Views: 364

soler

Sorry no idea then, best start shouting at passing cars !!! I find chasing them too some times helps

baja-king

Here for the ride :)
Mine was using FW5.20 and worked, although you don't have motor test function on FW5.20.

This doesn't sort your WKM issue but it was mentioned on the forum that you can use the standard DJI X8 coax mixer but swap ESC wires for motor M2 & M6 and also swap ESC wires for motor M4 & M8 and then change the direction of motors M2,M4,M6,M8 by swapping any two motor wire as normal...

Theory being that if the motor mixer has same output, e.g. 100% for each motor, then it doesn't matter if the motor is top or bottom on that specific arm.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Modified Mixer.jpg
    Modified Mixer.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 319

Cheshirecat

Mine was using FW5.20 and worked, although you don't have motor test function on FW5.20.

This doesn't sort your WKM issue but it was mentioned on the forum that you can use the standard DJI X8 coax mixer but swap ESC wires for motor M2 & M6 and also swap ESC wires for motor M4 & M8 and then change the direction of motors M2,M4,M6,M8 by swapping any two motor wire as normal...

Theory being that if the motor mixer has same output, e.g. 100% for each motor, then it doesn't matter if the motor is top or bottom on that specific arm.

attachment.php

That,s and interesting alternative approach. I am not really bothered exactly how i get there as long as i arrive.
Thanks Steve i will muse that for bit.

JLO

Hi Baja King what is the advantage of changing this motor mixer over the standard DJI coax mixer?
tanks