ESC Calibration in PPM mode

Hood49

Dear All,

Normally when you do an ESC calibration in traditional mode (in stead of PPM) you plug the ESC directly in the Rx in the throttle channel. I have my Naza setup in PPM.
Does anyone know in which channel I need to plug the ESC to calibrate? (I am using channel 8 for ppm on my GR-24 Graupner Rx)

The throttle channel is #3, but be careful and sure that you ESC can be calibrated, some ESC like the multistar do NOT calibrate, they enter in programming mode when you do the normal process of calibrating.

kloner

Aerial DP
to make it easier we use a pigtail with 4 servo into one so we can calibrate 4 at a time..... it goes into the throttle channel but like he said...... some don't need it.

Hood49

Indeed, I have done some research and apparently you do not need to calibrate the Trunigy Multistars. I have the 30amp.
I never really used them because I heard a lot of negative feedback after I have bought them. But now that I crashed my Quad and cooked my ESC's I might as well give it a go.

Filthy

Is is necessary or advisable to re-calibrate ESC's when switching TX and RX's?

I just picked up a quad off someone that was completely setup except for RX and batteries. It's running Avroto 2814's with DJI 30A opto ESC's and Naza V1. I connected my Futaba R7008 RX and a pair of 6000mAh 4S batts. About a minute into the initial test flight, it started having issues maintaining altitude. Was jumping between 3 -6 feet off the ground while I attempted to correct on the throttle. Couldn't stabilize, so I landed. Reset gains to default Naza settings and tried again. Similar result. Mostly seemed under powered after 30 seconds or so. Landed and kept throttle at around 40-50%. It just sat there, but you could see and hear motors randomly alternating speeds. So if ESC recalibriation is necessary, do I need to rip everything apart to this (i.e. connect individually to RX?).

Theorically every time you make a change on receiver, tx or esc, you shoudl calibrate them, no matter if they are the same brand. Not all radios, RX and esc response the same way. You need to verify if the esc indeed calibrate. Some don't need it.

kloner

Aerial DP
dji, most simonK and kde do not even use endpoint calibration. They use fixed endpoints

you can not get those esc to enter a throttle calibration if you tried

kloner

Aerial DP
i'd start with going into the dji assistant for naza and do a radio calibration there. Basic/RC/calibration/start

Filthy

Tried that already. No change. Noticed that it doesn't hold altitude during yaw movement. Maybe gain related? Haven't had any real experience or good results with gain tuning. Honestly haven't need to change defaults in other craft until now. Will try that tomorrow and hope for improvement. The previous owner had gains set higher that I'd ever flow with (178 for basic pitch and roll). I had the issue right off the bat with the existing set gains so decided to try defaults, but no improvement in the altitude hold - especially during yawing movement. Guess it's time to dig a little deeper.

My hex have about the same gains 180 on basic. If you loose altitude during yaw, probably is under power, you need to increase gain. If it jumps when stick Is release during yaw, then I high gain.