Mini S800 Build - Bad Vibrations - Design or Payload?

PCMAerial

Finally got my second rig built and ready to fly. But now running into some issues. I'm wondering if this is a design flaw, or maybe is my payload too big for my craft? Anyways here is the rundown...

-S550 (Mini S800) Hexacopter
-Naza V2 w/ GPS
-DJI E300 (920kv Motors)
-15A ESC's
-9x5 XOAR Precision Balanced Props
-4s 3300mAh lipo
-DYS 2 axis gimbal
-Nex5 w/16mm
-3s 450mAh lipo (For Gimbal)

So before the S550 I had a standard DJI F-550 and hard mounted the Nex5 to the craft for AP work. The F550 handled the weight "OK" with about 6-7min flight times. No crazy vibrations or movement, but no gimbal. Fast forward to now and I have a new frame (S550) with the same motors/ESC's, new props, and a newly installed gimbal. Got the gimbal balanced and tuned. It's definitely more weight but it will get off the ground with a push over 50%.

Upon a test flight. The frame of my rig shakes HORRIBLY after takeoff. So bad I had to land the rig frantically. So I'm wondering...

1.) Is my payload too high? How do I determine this
2.) If so, wouldn't I get limited throttle upon take off? It seems to power off the ground smoothly
3.) Could this be a design issue? I've heard of the REAL s800's having some vibration problems. This is a mini with essentially the same frame
4.) Does the problem lie in the frame?
5.) How the hell do I fix this. Lol

Video up next. I'm hesitant to even take it back up for a sample video. But will try when I leave the office. Thanks to everyone for any help!

attachment.php

Attachments

• photo(26).JPG
    photo(26).JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 297
  • Screen shot 2014-08-04 at 2.24.35 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2014-08-04 at 2.24.35 PM.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 245
Last edited by a moderator:

PCMAerial

What is your AUW? I am not familiar with the S550. Do you have a link?

Not sure of my AUW currently. I'll have to try and calculate that weight and have it by tonight. But it doesn't feel "TOO" heavy. If that makes any sense? Tried to weigh on a scale but no luck. It will definitely get off the ground. But the vibration is completely impossible.

The s550 I got on ebay. But here's a similar link for reference:
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/hmf-s550-f550-upgrade-hexacopter-frame-kit-with-landing-gear-for-fpv.html

It's essentially an F550 with the s800 style arms and legs. Got a gig Thursday and this is my first with the new s550 frame. Hoping I didn't get something with a flawed design. Although I know many people who fly (full size) s800's and have great success. Thanks for the response!

PCMAerial

Here is a video from my Nex5 when the issue started happening after take off. I'll try and muster up some confidence to film a shot of the rig itself. So far this is what it looks like from camera. BTW the gimbal was balanced before lift off. Everything with the gimbal was smooth, but the vibrations completely throw the gimbal off. Flying xoar props. HORRID vibrations:

Last edited by a moderator:

PCMAerial

So my AUW came out to around 6lbs. ~2.72kg [MENTION=736]Tahoe Ed[/MENTION]

Looking around to see if that is too much weight for the 900kv motors.

Also, I tried to swap my entire frame back to the DJI F550 with the gimbal. And I got the same crazy vibrations. I'm guessing this must have to do with payload weight? It's odd though because it takes off fairly easy over 50% throttle