Lightweight gimbal for camcorders?

Ronan

So i have been chatting with some members about a gimbal for my Sony HDR-PJ810/B (weights just under 500 gram) to be installed on my Tarot T810.

I'm just wondering what other members use, that's within a reasonable price range ($500-$1000) since i'm not exactly hauling a Red EPIC camera or a $5000 DSLR...

I personally am used to using brushless gimbals so i would prefer to stick to that (unless i can be convinced otherwise!).

flitelab

So i have been chatting with some members about a gimbal for my Sony HDR-PJ810/B (weights just under 500 gram) to be installed on my Tarot T810.

I'm just wondering what other members use, that's within a reasonable price range ($500-$1000) since i'm not exactly hauling a Red EPIC camera or a $5000 DSLR...

I personally am used to using brushless gimbals so i would prefer to stick to that (unless i can be convinced otherwise!).

i have my camcorder on a 2 axis Quadframe.com gimbal. The thing to account for with the camcorders is the length needed to get it balanced properly on a gimbal.

Ronan

i have my camcorder on a 2 axis Quadframe.com gimbal. The thing to account for with the camcorders is the length needed to get it balanced properly on a gimbal.

Yes and all the one's i see are for DSLR or camera style, not camcorder. How did you modify your quadframe.com gimbal since it looks like the standard type.

kloner

Aerial DP
I work on a rig for a local guy when he has problems that is a servo based cinestar gimbal, makes hella smooth videos with it in real estate, boss lens

Bowley

I use a cinestar servo gimbal with a CS410, very happy with it it, quick no fuss, forgiving in setup. the radians are sufficient to allow the BOSS to compensate all the tilt servo judder and vehicle yaw oscillations completely, occasional slight servo backlash perceivable in roll. however its not exactly a lightweight or low cost setup.

Av8Chuck

Sorry for hijacking a bit, how well do you like that gimbal? How difficult was it to get the Alexmos controller setup with that gimbal? Do you think it would be good for the GH4?

Ronan

I found the cinestar rigs to be overkill, and out of budget. Pretty big/heavy too, if i was carrying something big with a bigger multirotor i would go for it.

Bowley

I found the cinestar rigs to be overkill, and out of budget. Pretty big/heavy too, if i was carrying something big with a bigger multirotor i would go for it.

The only other thing I can think of other than cinestar or derivative and clones is an AV130, arch type, I personally dont think brushless gimbal is necessary with this range of camcorders. I dont know about you PJ810 but on my CX410 the tripod mount point is so ar forward I dont think I could actually balance it on a brushless gimbal without some sort of forward extension plate.

kloner

Aerial DP
the cinestar i maintain is a 800mm with 14" props, mikrocopter. easily a rig you can get a deal on used cause there 4-5 years old.... super reliable and amazing high quality stuff if you get a real one. They just limit out at dslr's for the most part. long flight times with a light camera and takes less battery to fly a light load....

Ronan

the cinestar i maintain is a 800mm with 14" props, mikrocopter. easily a rig you can get a deal on used cause there 4-5 years old.... super reliable and amazing high quality stuff if you get a real one. They just limit out at dslr's for the most part. long flight times with a light camera and takes less battery to fly a light load....

My main multi is a T810 with folding props. Not sure how long of a flight time i would get with my 2x 6000mah lipo's and carrying a rig like that (and the camcorder).

Hmnn

Buzz_Roavr

I have a CX410 with BOSS under an AV130 on an XMX4. Yet to fully test but it is up and running for very reasonable cost and will certainly cut the mustard on inspection work.

My downlink quit at 30m so I have yet to do a full test as I could not see the angle (tilt) or focal length (zoom).

Hopefully be fully tested by the end of next week if The Highlands weather plays ball!

Ronan

I have a CX410 with BOSS under an AV130 on an XMX4. Yet to fully test but it is up and running for very reasonable cost and will certainly cut the mustard on inspection work.

My downlink quit at 30m so I have yet to do a full test as I could not see the angle (tilt) or focal length (zoom).

Hopefully be fully tested by the end of next week if The Highlands weather plays ball!

Someone else mentionned the AV130 but told me it was a aging design and not worth investing new into it. What do you think of it? Seem's pretty heavy and big which means bigger/tougher/heavier legs.

Buzz_Roavr

I've not had it long but it seems pretty bomb proof. Depends what you want from a gimbal! I like the fact i can swap camera in seconds with no faffing. I don't imagine it would be much cop with the like of a 5n on it. I may well try the GLOCK controller as a few seem to swear by this set up. If your running a BOSS Sony Camcorder i think its a great setup.

Not sure how much improvement there is between the CX410 and the CX730? I'd like a 730 but can't find one!

Ronan

I've not had it long but it seems pretty bomb proof. Depends what you want from a gimbal! I like the fact i can swap camera in seconds with no faffing. I don't imagine it would be much cop with the like of a 5n on it. I may well try the GLOCK controller as a few seem to swear by this set up. If your running a BOSS Sony Camcorder i think its a great setup.

Not sure how much improvement there is between the CX410 and the CX730? I'd like a 730 but can't find one!

Here it's called the PJ810 and i compared videos and found the PJ810 to be superior by quite a lot.

Do you have a website for the AV130? The one that keeps popping up (photohigher) shows zero information, just a pricetag.

Bowley

Yeah was quite shocked, I did notice how my 410 can be totally crisp in the main but then has little smudgy bits and a little chalky. 780 def sharper and richer colours. dont know if I could differentiate though If they were not side by side.

Post hijack...sorry Ronan!