4.8 0- 5kg quad for smooth video required, low kv motors props etc

jfro

Aerial Fun
4.8 - 5kg quad 3515 vs 3520 400 kv ADVICE Wanted

I'm rebuilding my x8 with Avroto 3515 motors. I briefly played around with a couple quad configurations and a gimbal gh2. Had different results with different props and am curious what makes a good quad with low KV motors.

For around 5kg's or less, what is the difference between a 3520 motor and 3515 both being 400kv. I love the flight times w/ 3515/400kv and the way it flies on 6s 8000mha batteries, but haven't got the smoothness in the video yet. Could be my gimbal. Haven't tried the gopro on it yet. I've tried a light 550 config and a heavier 650 frame.

My idea is to fly it both with a Gopro 3 axis for long flight times approaching 18-20 minutes other times with a light 2 axis gimbal and gh2 or BMPC which is in the 2.25 to 2.5 lb range.

Anyway, looking for some experienced peeps on the 400kv quad setup whom are getting professional quality video to maybe share their setups. Again, I'd like to keep the advice in the low kv motors, 13-16" props range with mid size to gopro size gimbals and 6s batteries...

Last edited by a moderator:

jfro

Aerial Fun
Anybody getting nice smooth video on a quad with either the 3520's or 3515 Tigers or Avroto's. If so, I'd love to know your setup, FC, AUW etc.

Electro 2

To the best of my knowedge/experience, smooth video has nothing to do with motor size or the kV rating of such. There are many factors but these are not some of them. If I had to make a list it would be 20 items long, at least.

jfro

Aerial Fun
To the best of my knowedge/experience, smooth video has nothing to do with motor size or the kV rating of such. There are many factors but these are not some of them. If I had to make a list it would be 20 items long, at least.

I understand there are many factors. I am just now starting to use some low KV motors. My understanding is that the slower the motor spins and the bigger props the more the issues with vibrations, albeit, maybe a different type or frequency.

My question was geared towards flight time in the 8-10lb range on a quad and if (?) there is any difference in the different low kv type motors when video capturing.

I've ordered some 3520's and have some 3515's all 400kv. I have 13, 14, 15, and 16" props to fly/test with so I'll know soon enough what's up with these two motor types.

Going with Avroto 3515's on my x8 (which may become a hex later on) and the KDE 3520's for my quad.

kloner

Aerial DP
i fly 3520 times 8 on a jib, 3520 times 4 on a disco, all smooth.... my jibs a little over gunned at 16lbs with packs and no gimbal, your probably gonna fine a happy place around 14", maybe 13" on this oct.... my quad at 5lb is 46% throttle at hover on 13"

jfro

Aerial Fun
i fly 3520 times 8 on a jib, 3520 times 4 on a disco, all smooth.... my jibs a little over gunned at 16lbs with packs and no gimbal, your probably gonna fine a happy place around 14", maybe 13" on this oct.... my quad at 5lb is 46% throttle at hover on 13"

Is your quad @ 5lbs w/ battery, gimbal, & gopro? That's light. My lightest quad (550mm) w/ 3515's, 550mm, gopro/ tarot, and 8000 mhz 6s is 6.875 lbs...

I"m testing on another quad (650mm) with heavier frame and is 8.6 lbs.. with same battery and gopro. I'm also testing it with a 2 axis gimbal and gh2 or black magic pocket cam. This is around 8.5 lbs... This will be the first test for the new KDE's 3520's I just bought... Then I'll try it with gopro next.

I'm hoping/thinking my quad flight times should be in the 13-18 minute range depending on gimbal/camera and if lucky, maybe a tad more when easy flying in calm winds.

My x8's auw should be in the 17-18 lb range. Might go up a bit if I add a 3rd axis.... Hoping for 16 minutes on this w/ 2x8000 6s's & the Avroto 3515's.

Electro 2

I understand there are many factors. I am just now starting to use some low KV motors. My understanding is that the slower the motor spins and the bigger props the more the issues with vibrations, albeit, maybe a different type or frequency.

The difference in motor speed isn't *that* great. Also, with a lowered frequency of primary mode, it would actually stand a better chance of getting into the gimbal system isolation mount unless the bobbins were changed out for a different durometer. Properly balanced motor rotors and props are the number one player. Prop rigidity is a factor, too. E.G. on my 1000, for the same aircraft, same motors, switching from plastic props, (Gemfan), to woods, (Xoar) I went from a total 6 axis composite frame vibration figure of .75G to .25G. Measured and recorded during flight by the FC.

kloner

Aerial DP
my quad (disco) is 5lbs on the nose in the sky... i only use 2700 mah 6s and it hovers 17 minutes. with 8000 mah trappy just got one of these to fly 50 minutes on my arms....

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
kde 3520 with 13" prop is in the video, the trappy thing is a set is going to offer shortly... custom wound

jfro

Aerial Fun
kde 3520 with 13" prop is in the video, the trappy thing is a set is going to offer shortly... custom wound

Can you tell us more about the "trappy thing"

On my lighter quads and Avroto 3515, 13" seem to be the sweet spot, but 14's aren't bad either.