The Future of commercial UAV congressional hearing

kloner

Aerial DP
Well that was interesting. as expected Feinstein got on there talking about being peeped in on through her front window at her house with a "drone" Yamaha was there promoting the rmax wanting seperate legislation for use, they want to fertilize crops in the us. Another gal was pretty realistic about it all, alot of question about if they let this happen who is going to police the privacy of the people. who is going to assure the data collected is used for the intended purpose and not just banked like nsa phone calls. it makes since, sounded like most involved have a pretty clear understanding of it all except the older senators,,,, there just gonna be who they are. Fall of 2015 implementation if i remember right was the new "roll out" target date

as i pull my bandana back up, back to work

Old Man

As one that has been making a living flying UAV's for a government contractor for the last 10 years I'll state with conviction we need to go slowly with this. Although many are champing at the bit to start making money with this fancy high tech equipment I can say from experience that concerns about privacy, data collection, storage, oversight for use, and regulations are more necessary than most can conceive. In the environments of Iraq, Afghanistan, Africa, and on the open sea those flying under government authority have paid no heed to concerns, rights, or privacy of the people on the ground or surface of the sea under them. A fair number of private "operators" have done as bad or worse based upon the videos they've posted on You Tube. As an operator I've looked anywhere I wanted to and nobody could prevent me from swinging the camera to see anything that was viewable. Once you've found you can look into windows you instantly understand you will be robbing people of their right to live as they choose.

I'm well aware that many won't much care for what I just wrote but making money and everyone's rights are not two things that should be slapped together to hope for the best. Our police agencies have a long habit of breaking law at will and our government breaks laws faster than they can enact them and then ignores the law under the guise of national security. Once the genie is out of the bottle there will be no putting him back. Don't let greed over shadow doing the right thing at the right time.

jes1111

It will be found an unjust and unwise jealousy to deprive a man of his natural liberty upon the supposition he may abuse it.
George Washington

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin

15crewdawg

^^^ +1 Jes1111.

Old Man - By that logic the internet, television, video cameras, and cell phones, etc., should never have been created and allowed to be used by the public. As all of them have been misused to varying degrees.
Secondly, there is a huge difference in capabilities between a military grade UAV and the rigs that are used for commercial AV/AP. So making a statement that you can look through windows and see what people are doing is deceptive at best. And for no purpose other than to insight a fear response from those who are not informed about this industry. I'm pretty sure no one in the MR world has the resources to build multi-million dollar rigs with ultra-high powered optics onboard to peer into bedrooms from a mile away.

There will always be those who will use any technology for nefarious purposes. We just need to ensure that any legislation or regulations are appropriate and allow for the growth of the industry.

Last edited by a moderator: