A2 Test Flight Problems

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
my mistake, the A2 IMU is a standalone unit without the wires of the main flight controller module.

is your heli balanced about the center in every direction? i looked at the photo again and it looks like the battery is hanging out the back without anything to balance it in the front.

the Phantom ought to leave you prepared to fly what you've built, it's certainly better than nothing! :)

teecee

my mistake, the A2 IMU is a standalone unit without the wires of the main flight controller module.

is your heli balanced about the center in every direction? i looked at the photo again and it looks like the battery is hanging out the back without anything to balance it in the front.

the Phantom ought to leave you prepared to fly what you've built, it's certainly better than nothing! :)

I have 2 X 6C lipos. Eventually both will go on the back and Z15 gimbal on the front but for test I mounted 1 battery center back and 1 center front for balance. When I hold lightly by opposing arms it is balanced pretty well in every direction.

I wonder if it is ground effect?

kloner

Aerial DP
your radio needs to move those sliders proper before your ready to try flying it.... hold your mouse over the sliders and move the sticks, read the text to the left regarding orientation of those sliders and how there suppose to move

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
ground effect will certainly upset some flight controllers and if you come to rule out everything else then popping it up off the ground six or eight feet might give you the answer. you could also try hovering off of a small table where the ground effect wouldn't be able to build up as much.

maybe you could make a short video from a tri-pod the next time you try to fly it...that might help others to figure it out.

where did you buy your gear from?

teecee

ground effect will certainly upset some flight controllers and if you come to rule out everything else then popping it up off the ground six or eight feet might give you the answer. you could also try hovering off of a small table where the ground effect wouldn't be able to build up as much.

maybe you could make a short video from a tri-pod the next time you try to fly it...that might help others to figure it out.

where did you buy your gear from?

I will make a video this morning. Most of the gear came from RC-Drones. They are not open on the weekend or I would call them for advice as their builder seems very knowledgeable.

teecee

OK, I figured it out and just had my 1st (then 2nd, 3rd,...) successful indoor test flights. Turns out that I had my motors (ESC's) wired to the A2 in the wrong order. Boy, did I ever have a lot backwards (first build learning curve). I had assumed wrongly that the ESC's were wired clockwise but it is in fact the opposite. I only had one hooked up correctly (M1 - M1) After that I re patched it for CCW hook up (M2 - M5 etc...). Now all is well.

Things I learned (so far):
-Multirotors DO NOT build themselves.
-The individual components and systems are great and play together beautifully ONLY if put together properly.
-DO NOT get tunnel vision. I do this a lot on many levels in my life and critical thinking is so important. I figured I had it beat when 1) I found the IMU backwards and then again 2) when I discovered that the motors were spinning backwards from the drawing on the mixer. What I missed was the CCW patch of the ESC wires to the A2.

I have to wonder at what other gremlins I unconsciously built in there. For now I am happy and feel confident (tunnel vision again??) and an preparing for first outdoor test flight. Any advice there?

A big thanks to everyone who helped out. I really appreciate it.

TC

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Okay, a long shot for sure but worth pointing out anyway. Are you keeping your right thumb or finger on the stick during take off and are you being soft or aggressive with the throttle on take off. The reason I ask is that for inexperienced users, keeping your thumb or finger on the stick during take off can often lead to unintentional stick demands and thus lead to a tip over. With the throttle, if you are being soft with it, combine this with a right thumb demand and you have a recipe for a full tip over.

When training people to fly these things my two rules for take off are (if flying in atti or GPS), keep your right fingers well away from the stick and be bold and aggressive with the throttle, just get the thing in the air.

Another tip. When you spool the motors up, get them so they continue to run but not enough to take off. Apply a very gentle stick demand on the right hand to see if the aircraft reacts correctly with that demand. If it does and the IMU is programed to be the correct orientation, you should be good to take off as i have described.

teecee

Okay, a long shot for sure but worth pointing out anyway. Are you keeping your right thumb or finger on the stick during take off and are you being soft or aggressive with the throttle on take off. The reason I ask is that for inexperienced users, keeping your thumb or finger on the stick during take off can often lead to unintentional stick demands and thus lead to a tip over. With the throttle, if you are being soft with it, combine this with a right thumb demand and you have a recipe for a full tip over.

When training people to fly these things my two rules for take off are (if flying in atti or GPS), keep your right fingers well away from the stick and be bold and aggressive with the throttle, just get the thing in the air.

Another tip. When you spool the motors up, get them so they continue to run but not enough to take off. Apply a very gentle stick demand on the right hand to see if the aircraft reacts correctly with that demand. If it does and the IMU is programed to be the correct orientation, you should be good to take off as i have described.

Great tip. Thanks. Any others for this self taught newbie?
Where do you do training?