12s compatible flight controllers

kloner

Aerial DP
Guess i already know the answer but maybe somethings on the horizon, is there any 12s compatible flight controlers out or coming out? how about just a 12s compatible osd stand alone?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
KLONER!!

12S??? Oh the humanity!

Seriously though, good luck with that and let us know what you're up to and how it's working.

Enjoy the holidays and keep in touch.

Bart

ps...those props you lent me are up next on the testing stand now that i've got two laptops running the Eagletree software. it'll be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Bartman

flight controllers run 5v its the bec you need to find to run 12s?or am i missing something?

fwiw, i'd rather not step 12S down to 5V with a recom, that's a big step and would generate a lot of heat. i've been running separate 3S batteries for my flight controllers (and LED's) and would probably keep doing that before putting 12S in there just to have it knocked down to 5V.

YMMV

kloner

Aerial DP
I'm running complete osd/flight controllers and was hoping to see voltage, as in under stress or even amp draws.... theres nothing out there, guess we can always guess. Flew alot of 12s on single rotors but never cared about logging or osd back then.....

does any of the apm stuff do 12s current sensing?

Bartman

I'm running complete osd/flight controllers and was hoping to see voltage, as in under stress or even amp draws.... theres nothing out there, guess we can always guess. Flew alot of 12s on single rotors but never cared about logging or osd back then.....

does any of the apm stuff do 12s current sensing?

kloner, one thing i've done that worked well was to use the Hitec Aurora 9 that has built in voltage telemetry and some other optional telemetry features. i'd put the 3S flight pack voltage to the flight control and the receiver's SPC port which can take up to 8S and displays that voltage on the transmitter's screen. the SPC port only powers the receiver and not any servo outputs so if you've got something like a shutter switch that requires 5v then you need to put a buck regulator in the 3S line to also put 5V into the receiver's other power port.

it sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is and it works well. one 3S 1200 mah FC/receiver pack can go a long time powering just the FC, receiver, and some LED's.

regarding the flight packs, i've never tried to see amp draw outside of my workshop and have had very good success with the cheap HK lipo monitors that plug into the balancing taps. the downside to that is that if you're flying FPV far from where you're standing (which you probably are) you won't hear the battery monitors chirping when voltage gets low.

I don't know if any of the OSD options can or can't process 12S voltages

the APM 2.5+ system that I have only takes up to 4S which is why i still haven't flown it after having it in the shop for most of this year. the newer systems from 3DR might be able to handle higher cell counts but I doubt they do 12S.

single rotor heli's use the higher voltages probably because the motors are geared to get the torque for that big rotor and as such need to run at high voltages/kv to get high RPM's.

blaze that trail!

Lanzar

Guess i already know the answer but maybe somethings on the horizon, is there any 12s compatible flight controlers out or coming out? how about just a 12s compatible osd stand alone?

Yes 12s boards are on the horizon. More info next year.

jes1111

eh? what? 12S flight controller? no...!!!! The circuitry will operate on 3.3 or 5V, whatever voltage input level is allowed - there will be onboard regulators to chop it to 3.3 or 5V. So why not just use an external switching power supply fed from your 12S? btw - heat is not generated by the voltage but by the current flow, which will be minimal for an FC and therefore so will the heat.

kloner

Aerial DP
i'm looking for integrated telemetry like the controllers i'm using now do without having multiple systems aboard......

12s is looking pretty normal with the latest tiger offerings, maytech and tiger have hv esc's now

since lanzar is a dji retailer, i gotta imagine dji will have 12s pmu's soon

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
I've been doing this for 2 years on APM. You just need about $0.15 in resistors, and a soldering iron. For 12S voltage sensing you need an 11 or 12:1 voltage divider. So, a 10kohm and 1kohm resistor will do you.

Amperage is trickier, but do-able. I don't generally bother with amperage. But I did pick up one of these. Have yet to employ it yet:

http://www.amploc.com/amploc.com/2.html

Less chequebook, more knowledge.