HDMI to Composite

Mike Fortin

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a solution for an HDMI to composite.

Quadrocopter used to sell one but no longer has them, any other reccomendations for something we don't have to mod?

Look on amazon for " HDMI 2 AV" and you'll find several cheap ones. You can also get one from Kopterworx that is a little pricey and may in fact be the same thing in a different wrapper for a good bit more. I have one of each and both work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

kloner

Aerial DP
the freefly one is the way to go but like you say, there mia.... i bet theres either a new batch of em coming or a new version. probably something about it at the freefly forum. There the real deal. The others are marginal, we've had em go out mid job, etc

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hi Guys,

I am looking for a solution for an HDMI to composite.

Quadrocopter used to sell one but no longer has them, any other reccomendations for something we don't have to mod?

Hi Mike,

I have the Kopterworx converter in my shop at www.Aerdro.com. There's a pretty useful demo video in with the product listing. I think I have eight in stock at the moment.

Regards,
Bart

ghaynes

The Kopterworx one, while expensive, for most cameras requires no external power. Power comes from the HDMI cord. Only issue I have heard of and am waiting for KW to do a test is whether it will accept 'real' 1080p as an input. Video says that it supports a RED but I have report that it doesn't work with 1080p. I tested with the only 1080p device I have which is the NEX7. Manually changed it to 1080p and got no picture. 1080i was fine.

The HDMI2AV doesn't need to be modified...but it does require 5v external power in order to function with some cameras. You'd need to find some way to power the un-modified HDMI2AV.

I'm using a HDMI2AV that has been modified to take its input power directly from the FatShark or ImmersionRC 5.8Ghz FPV transmitter. There's a description on how to perform the modification here on the forum at:
http://www.multirotorforums.com/showthread.php?4053-Sony-Nex-5n-downlink/page5 (Look for Skivvie's images and description how to power/hack the HDMI converter)

So...yeah, it's something that you'll need to mod, but it's not that hard a mod and the final result has nice and clean wiring. :)

The Kopterworx one, while expensive, for most cameras requires no external power. Power comes from the HDMI cord. Only issue I have heard of and am waiting for KW to do a test is whether it will accept 'real' 1080p as an input. Video says that it supports a RED but I have report that it doesn't work with 1080p. I tested with the only 1080p device I have which is the NEX7. Manually changed it to 1080p and got no picture. 1080i was fine.

This would explain why I had trouble getting a picture out of the Sony F 55

Chadfish

Hey Bartman, do you know of a thinner mini HDMI cable? We need something that won't mess with the operation of a gimbal. A thin, angled mini HDMI cable would be great. The one shown in the Kopterworks demo video looks thick, and not angled.

Hi Mike,

I have the Kopterworx converter in my shop at www.Aerdro.com. There's a pretty useful demo video in with the product listing. I think I have eight in stock at the moment.

Regards,
Bart

Bartman

I just wired up a Sony NEX5N to the Kopterworx HDMI converter. IN the Sony menus you can select 1080i or p for your HDMI output. The converter didn't work with the 1080P but worked fine with the 1080i. The converter pulls power from the camera via the HDMI connection so there are no power connections required.

If your camera can't switch between 1080i and p output for the HDMI signal and if you're stuck with 1080p then it won't work with this converter.

I"ll dissect one of the included cables to see if there's any room in there for modifications,. The cheap cables I bought from China didn't like having the outer sheathing removed but maybe the KW cables will be more cooperative.

Bart

Bartman

Here's what the included cable looks like with the outer black insulation removed and the plug on the camera side peeled off. The clear layer around the camera side plug can be heated up with a heat gun until it's clear (it'll be hot so don't touch it with your bare fingers please) at which point you can bend the plug back so it lays in the other direction. You can slide some heat shrink over the plug and it's good to go.

View attachment 13795

With the black insulation on the cable it was more flexible than the cheap 6" chinese cables I bought on ebay. It's probably less flexible than the hypershop ones but they're a little on the long side which may or may not work for you. With the insulation removed you have to twist the wires a few turns to keep them together which isn't a big deal. If it were me getting ready to go fly, I'd probably rig it without the insulation, see how it works, try to determine if it would be a stable set up for the long term, and then have a go with it. If it didn't work out I'd try the flexible ones. If you're buying the Kopterworx converter, there's no harm in hacking the cable a little bit to see if it can be made to work. If not, you can buy the other one and move on with things.

Attachments

• DSC08240.jpg
    DSC08240.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 261

kloner

Aerial DP
1080p on any converter will over heat it instantly,,,,,

those thin hyper cable do the same thing, except they look alot more pro. Do what you did there with removing the plastic end, put a dab of contact glue to destress it and slibe a piece of heat shrink over it to seal the deal....... it's less than a 1/2" sticking out, extremely flexible and light

_DSC2836_795.jpg