S800 clean build tips and info

Have ordered a S800 Evo plus OSD and some FPV gear - havent decided on gimbal yet

Interested to see what people have done to make their build clean and easy to maintain, im not a fan of having wires everywhere and stuff not looking like it belongs. Would be grateful for any pics or information while the waiting game begins.

Cheers
Lance

Here's a quick soldering tutorial (you would be amazed how many people cannot solder!)
Also I show off the self-amalgamating tape...
http://youtu.be/3nrYO_jpxOA

boranup

My build is coming along nicely - many thanks to the likes of Chris and Ed for their input - I do have a question on placement of the WKM components - am I able to plug the IMU into any Can-bus port or am I restricted to the MC?

Would make life much easier if I was free to place alternatively come breaking down the S800 for transport.

boranup

Got to maiden the bird today and things went very well flew nice even in the slight wind and the zenmuse performed really well

Hope to have some video up soon - the joys of avhcd on mac :|

boranup

Attachments

• IMG_0863.jpg
    IMG_0863.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_0868.jpg
    IMG_0868.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_0867.jpg
    IMG_0867.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_0866.jpg
    IMG_0866.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_0865.jpg
    IMG_0865.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_0870.jpg
    IMG_0870.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 306

deluge2

Thanks for the build pics and the "boring" video. In this context, the last thing you want is an 'exciting' maiden flight. Flight time vs. energy consumption sounds promising. What was the total capacity of your two flight batteries? Looks like a very clean install, the braided cable covers look great. Perhaps it's the angle of view, but your primary receiver antennas look like they're not at 90degrees (Z15 receiver antennas clearly are at 90degrees). Can you post a shot of the whole top deck? Did you balance props and or motors?

Looking forward to more video once proving is completed. Congrats!

Steve

thought I would up some pictures, I think its a great idea to wrap or braid wires on the S800 to protect them from damage - also makes it easy to spot when something is wrong - well in my mind anyway. Again thanks to the people here for assistance during the build and beyond!

boranup

Hi Steve I will put up some more pics tomorrow - the main antenna is definitely at 90 degrees but they also angle upwards so it makes it look a little deceiving.

My batteries are all Carbonbird 6S 5050mah from http://www.multiwiicopter.com/ - for some reason doesnt have the 6S on his website but I have been using the 4S for ages and I can only put them on par with the Overlander Extreme series. Didnt balance props or motors but did another flight today now that I have the retractable legs hooked up and took some more video to see if the props were tracking well.

So far so good - working with the wife as shes the Camera woman and loving it we just need to both get a bit better with the synchronisation!

heres the video from today

Was 15-20kts of wind today - where I was was partly sheltered but would still get gusts or dirty air through at times.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisViperM

Heeeeey.....looking good. Great to follow your steps to a successful flight. You have proven again that it pays off if you take your time and take it step by step. I wish you a lot of crash-free flights and a lot of fun....best regards to the talented camera lady :tennis:

Chris

boranup

Thanks for your words Chris and all your help to date - as you can see I have put a lot of what you have said into practice, learnt a few tricks along the way and thoroughly enjoyed the build process, only had to do a couple of things twice :)

Have you unpacked yet and when will you fly the Flexa??

Cant stop my wife now shes really enjoying the camera role and its going to be a fun journey

Thanks again!

ChrisViperM

My container will only arrive by end of October, but here it's paradise for every aerial freak.....

Here is a look from our terrace at the new home:

View attachment 13839

A few days ago we had whales right in front of the house:

View attachment 13840View attachment 13841

....and I don't have any flying gear with me....grrrr

I guess you are on the right way....being successful takes time, and you will never stop learning. Sometimes it amazes me how little I actually know (once I think I know it all now).
If your lady enjoys being part of your "addiction", this is the best thing what can happen to you....if she wouldn't be interested, you always wind up fighting for the time you need for that stuff.....better do it together.

Two crazy people is always better than just one :tennis:

Chris

Attachments

• top terrace.jpg
    top terrace.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 191
  • P1000913.jpg
    P1000913.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 201
  • P1000839.jpg
    P1000839.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 334

Topflight

How are you guys strapping on your batteries? The battery tray doesn't feel real solid. With the weight of the batteries, you can actually see it bend. I have two 6s 5500 batteries that I Velcro to the tray and then put a Velcro strap around the batteries and the tray. Now I add a velcro strap around the batteries and around the frame, in case the tray lets go.
Also, in regards to the new S800 EVO props; If I don't have the two props on the same plane, arm vibrates noticeably. I thought centrifugal force would put them on the same plane, but it doesn't. Props are probably to tight, but hesitant to loosen them up to much.
Also (again) I'm flying on 5.24 and so far all is well. I think 5.26 is the latest, is it 'OK" to jump up to 5.26?

boranup

Chris awesome place a lot like here in SW of Western Australia Im sure!!

Topflight Chris has suggested an aftermarket battery tray in a previous post that looks the goods - right now I am doing the same as you and although its not rigid I feel its ok for the time being.

Im flying on 5.16 - nice simple and works and I also have the V2 IMU on the Evo - I have V1 IMU on a F550 and a 800mm Hex and I think it holds a noticeably smaller cube in GPS but still lots of flying in front of me to confirm.

I havent noticed any obvious issues with my props - yet but will be taking a closer look during the next two days of flying.

Topflight

Chris awesome place a lot like here in SW of Western Australia Im sure!!

Topflight Chris has suggested an aftermarket battery tray in a previous post that looks the goods - right now I am doing the same as you and although its not rigid I feel its ok for the time being.

Im flying on 5.16 - nice simple and works and I also have the V2 IMU on the Evo - I have V1 IMU on a F550 and a 800mm Hex and I think it holds a noticeably smaller cube in GPS but still lots of flying in front of me to confirm.

I havent noticed any obvious issues with my props - yet but will be taking a closer look during the next two days of flying.

What I did, was put my props on of the one arms, out of plane and then started up the motors, to see if they would plane out. They didn't move much and the vibration was noticeable. Wondering if we don't get the props lined up perfectly, will we be getting unwanted vibrations. My guess is yes. The alternative is to loosen the screws holding the props a little, so when you spool-up, the props will line up by themselves.

Topflight

I'm building a tray out of aluminum. Will have a top plate and a bottom plate, connected together on three sides with small diameter threaded rod (insulated). Weighs very little. Will be able to just slide in the battery and have a stop on it so it can't come out. Will have two positions for C of G, one with camera and one without

My container will only arrive by end of October, but here it's paradise for every aerial freak.....

Here is a look from our terrace at the new home:

View attachment 17472

A few days ago we had whales right in front of the house:

View attachment 17473View attachment 17474

....and I don't have any flying gear with me....grrrr

I guess you are on the right way....being successful takes time, and you will never stop learning. Sometimes it amazes me how little I actually know (once I think I know it all now).
If your lady enjoys being part of your "addiction", this is the best thing what can happen to you....if she wouldn't be interested, you always wind up fighting for the time you need for that stuff.....better do it together.

Two crazy people is always better than just one :tennis:

Chris

Cool Chis, have you left Austria? Where are you now?

thought I would up some pictures, I think its a great idea to wrap or braid wires on the S800 to protect them from damage - also makes it easy to spot when something is wrong - well in my mind anyway. Again thanks to the people here for assistance during the build and beyond!

View attachment 17440View attachment 17441View attachment 17442View attachment 17443View attachment 17444View attachment 17445

Hey Lance, very nice build! You put me to shame with your perfection!
It's a rainy day in France, I've finished my testing after the rebuild. She is behaving perfectly (after I replaced the faulty ESC).
Time to install and configure the Zenmuse/SonyNex7 - I'll have some test video up soon...

Hi Louis

We have moved to Cape Town / South Africa to an area called "Hout Bay".......it's paradise here. We should have done that many years ago already....

Chris

Wow, how cool is that! I know South Africa well, my mother is South African.. I worked in television, for the SABC and Mnet in 1980 until 1993.. good move!!
While you're online, can I ask about your TX setup..
Have you set it up as a 1 pilot operation? This is what I have to do (I don't have a nice camera-woman like Boranup!)
So my primary TX does the flying and the secondary one does the rest.
But with the secondary one I only get 6 channels, and with one used for the retracts that gives me five..
The GCM has seven, so what ones can I leave out? I think I want to be able to trigger the shutter and turn video on and off, so I wonder do I need Roll and Pan connected?