New video antenna option

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Just ordered a set of IBCrazy's Blue Beam Ultra 5.8 antennae. I was looking for a replacement for a Tx antenna that was in the wrong place at the wrong time and came across the new Ultra version.

Is anyone flying them already? Any improvement?

I didn't realize that an extension to move the antenna away from the transmitter would improve performance so I'm looking forward to seeing how this all works.

Bart

SMP

Heya Bart,

Aye, flying the IBCrazy Ultras on 1.3, 2.4 and 5.8! Was going NUTZ trying to figure out the difference between the bluebeams, mad mushrooms and cloverleafs forever. Finally found out that the "Ultras" are basically a set comprising of 1 Cloverleaf TX and 1 Mad Mushroom RX and are only sold as a set! The only real difference is that the RX is the 5 Lobe Mushroom instead of the Four Lobe. I run diversity on all of these pairing up the Ultras with a set of IB Crosshairs. Right before I killed the Disco, I ran out over a mile on the 2.4 cross hair straight ahead... Coulda gone farther but lost my nerve and turned it around. Heres where it got nuts. I brought it straight back and still had battery so I left the crosshair pointed forward and turned the bird 90 degrees left to run out solely on the mushrooms. Another MILE!!! Things flat work. There is a null direct overhead and flying straight overhead fast and behind sometimes means a second to hook back up but so far this combo and the Ultras in particular have outperformed all other combinations! (PS thx Kloner for the setup!!)

Pls bear in mind the Disco was also on ezUHF... these things DO have the range to easily outfly the standard RC

I've got a BOX of patches, yagis, helicals, clovers, fans, even an IB Skyhammer... (I've got problems..) The Clover/Mushroom "Ultra" combo rocks!!

kloner

Aerial DP
on rc groups and fpvlabs ibcrazy has all his recipes posted with full blown how to tutorials. a $70 antenna costs $5 in parts if you know where to shop. ebay has the sma for $1 a piece, my local wire shp has rg316 for $.50 a foot, a spool of welding wire is $10 and enough to make a million 5.8 antennas. piece of galvanized metal is pretty cheap. that covers both omni and patch of any flavor

kloner

Aerial DP
Always have. Bought one from ibcrazy then getting another was like pulling teeth so i dove in.

Bartman

@SMP, thanks for that. I've been using the blue beams but crunched one the other day so it'll be interesting to see if the Ultra series works any better than the standard ones.

@Kloner, that's good to know, thanks, been busy but maybe when things slow down i'll make a batch. for now just need one. :)

Bartman

ryan,

i think it's just a ruler, a pair of wire snips, and a soldering iron. there isn't much to them, you just have to be careful to get the measurements correct so the antenna lobes match the wavelength (or 1/4 wavelength, i watched some of IBCrazy's stuff a while ago) of the frequency you're using. give it a try and let us know how it works for you.

kloner

Aerial DP
even now just running around flying alot i go through a couple a month.... when i was going to the river all the time flying off a boat with a couple labs i'd go through a couple a weekend...... the non encased fatshark type go away alot..... even with silver solder

Cool, il give this ago after i finish building my compass 7hv. It seems the main difference on the ultras is the integrated balun, can some one tell me what it is and what it does?[FONT=arial, verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT]​

SMP

Believe the main difference on the "Ultras" is that the RX is the Mad Mushroom 5 lobe? Have both with/without balun, no apparent difference. Something to do with balanced and unbalanced signals... It's marketed as an improvement and since it doesnt seem to hurt i'll accept that it is ;) ;)

kloner

Aerial DP
all of the crosshairs havew a balun, it's the part you need a plummers torch for. i believe it does something to the ohms. never the less, it's just part of the tutorial on a crosshair. I can make 10 crosshairs or 30 omnis in a days sesh

i.php

i.php

the copper tube in the center holting the elements on the end is a balun. it is soldered back under the reflector to the shield of the rg 316 then two the the elements are on a ground, others are on the positive in a direction that makes it right hand polarized

i.php

back side

i.php

i.php

i.php

and always have a spare omni. my truck always has 3-4 of em floating around. nothing shuts you down like a broken lobe when you travel to shoot...... range goes from miles to feet and works on burning up the vtx

Last edited by a moderator: