A question to all you Pro Aerial Media Guys!

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Now, please don't be shy. Please tell us how you got into doing what you do with the Aerial Media and so on.... There is a lot of people, including myself that would like to get into it. As of right now, I am trying to start out slow and easy by doing Aerial Photos of Property for friends and such....

What wise words do you have for us budding Amateurs out there.?

kloner

Aerial DP
get your skills built up as your going here. figure out how to troubleshoot/fix problems as they arise. as your work improves places like this make things like your wanting come true as your skills show on tape,,,, ie youtube. it takes a major effort and it aint cheap keeping it going,,, traveling to shoot stuff, but if you can understand it and don't have the resource to sell yourself, there will be a line out the door asking to come fly this, that or the other. This site has to be one of the larger pools of photographer talent in the planet, i'd say 90% of em are here trying to learn rc for the first time in alot of cases. Be gracious and mentor any of them in your area, show em how it's done. You know how when something is daunting and somebady makes it look easy, when people like this see that it's a no brainer and you usually get invited right back if you got your ducks in a row.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I think if you are good with people and you know how to fly and have some decent camera knowledge, you have the makings for a successful illegal drone pilot. Personally, I have moments where I want to just be left alone and not talk about every little detail of my heli to every person that walks by. And that is NOT good for business. You never know who will cross your path. I met a guy on the beach who started asking questions, and for some reason I was really nice to the guy. he turned out to own a R44 and traded me real flying lessons for rc lessons. This will become a very tricky field to get into. It's at a turning point now and very soon it will either be entirely illegal or highly competitive. I would say to keep your day job. But who wouldn't want to make money flying an rc camera? It's a large world at the same time seemingly so small with our modern day social medias. These things naturally attract attention, so in a way it's free advertising, for better or worse. Just be safe and smart. Learn to fly something small and cheap, add a gopro, learn how to fix your own problems when they arise. Eventually you will own a bigger and better heli with more expensive gear. It will take less to get decent results as time goes on. Cameras just a little bigger than a gopro are out there that can achieve pro results. There is no reason to put more money and weight in the air if you dont have to. it may look impressive but thats about it. Unless you have a requirement for 4k and above for the big screen. BUt thats a small niche and Hollywood is all about who you know. Just make something impressive and people will see quickly who you are. Just please don't fly your heli into a plane or over people in the process.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
I have been shooting with a GoPro now, normally on 2 second time lapse seems to work pretty good. I just have to mount it from underneath until I make my upgrade to a 550 sometime next year. I plan to try to do Aerial shots for public events, maybe as you said, this will bring in some customers.

Already I have outgrown my 450, I really want to do a 550 with WKM, as and when funding comes along.... Thank you for your feedback, I do appreciate it.

ChrisViperM

I think if you are good with people and you know how to fly and have some decent camera knowledge, you have the makings for a successful illegal drone pilot. Personally, I have moments where I want to just be left alone and not talk about every little detail of my heli to every person that walks by. And that is NOT good for business. You never know who will cross your path. I met a guy on the beach who started asking questions, and for some reason I was really nice to the guy. he turned out to own a R44 and traded me real flying lessons for rc lessons. This will become a very tricky field to get into. It's at a turning point now and very soon it will either be entirely illegal or highly competitive. I would say to keep your day job. But who wouldn't want to make money flying an rc camera? It's a large world at the same time seemingly so small with our modern day social medias. These things naturally attract attention, so in a way it's free advertising, for better or worse. Just be safe and smart. Learn to fly something small and cheap, add a gopro, learn how to fix your own problems when they arise. Eventually you will own a bigger and better heli with more expensive gear. It will take less to get decent results as time goes on. Cameras just a little bigger than a gopro are out there that can achieve pro results. There is no reason to put more money and weight in the air if you dont have to. it may look impressive but thats about it. Unless you have a requirement for 4k and above for the big screen. BUt thats a small niche and Hollywood is all about who you know. Just make something impressive and people will see quickly who you are. Just please don't fly your heli into a plane or over people in the process.

+1 This post should be a Sticky....you can't put more truth into that

Chris

Stacky

This will seem like strange advice but if you intend trying to make some money then one of the best and most important things you can do is go take a small business or accounting class.

Now, please don't be shy. Please tell us how you got into doing what you do with the Aerial Media and so on.... There is a lot of people, including myself that would like to get into it. As of right now, I am trying to start out slow and easy by doing Aerial Photos of Property for friends and such....

What wise words do you have for us budding Amateurs out there.?