Hoverfly Futaba 8FG & HFP

jfro

Aerial Fun
Googling and get more confused. Maybe I have the right combo of propellers and just don't know which one of the set goes on top. Looking at them doesn't make sense to me, but it won't be the first time I've made a mistake on this build.

Will keep reading and maybe figure this out. Just don't want them wrong and crash coming out of the gate. Also not going to hang onto it and try it out. Too many horror stories.

Stacky

Attachments

• x8 prop spin.jpg
    x8 prop spin.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 224

jfro

Aerial Fun
Stacky, thanks. I think I read the instructions wrong. I had all the motors on the table and wired 4 to turn clock wise and 4 to turn counter. I put the counter turning motors on the bottom as I thought the instructions said. It appears they want the bottom motor turning counter to what the top motor is when in position. My bad.

When motors are running, the motors would then be turning the same direction when looking at them. Hence my issue of one prop pushing air up and the other down...... Not so good. In you picture, my bottom prop is turning the opposite direction....

It looks like I have the props right, I just need to go switch the bottom motors so they turn the opposite way.

Unfortunately, I used male/female plugs, but then heat shrunk the tubing over the whole joint to make sure they stayed connected. Good news is I can get at em without pulling much apart.

jfro

Aerial Fun
I have the motors set up right and props balanced, but am now struggling with whether the props are snug enough on the shafts.

Starting with Gemfan 11" props. While I probably won't use them long term, I'll use them for a while.
They come with adapters for different shaft sizes and the larges one doesn't really fit on the shaft of the Avroto 2814. Waiting to hear back from dealer on that one.
Luckily bought motors and props from same place.

Next up figure out a place to mount batteries, attach dome, charge batteries and see if she flies. Still snowing here, so may not make it today, but who knows.....

Thanks again for the help....

jfro

Aerial Fun
It flies!

Lifted off the ground and hovered 3 times with very low battery for it's 1st flight. I didn't really do anything but hover. Have more work todo, but couldn't resist temporarily mounting a battery and giving it a small test. No cam, gimble, etc, and just 1 battery..... Weight 2.6lbs or 1180g without battery. I'm guessing it will weight double or more with 2 batteries, camera and gimble.

Is it worth my time to try to tune it now at this light weight?

When time to tune, any suggestions on making it into a sluggish, slow fly type of craft? I'm not looking for a speed racer, I want the floating photographer in the air.
I'm not sure I have the trim thing down as it pertains to quicker or slower on the controls.