Newbie with a Naza-M

Squintz

All, I recently purchased a Naza-M and I wanted to play with it on the bench while I am waiting on other parts. So I hooked it up to my Futaba FP-R127DF receiver which I had left over from an old Heli. I also simply hooked up a couple servos for testing. My TX is a 72Mhz Futaba T6XHs. In the assistant software I selected PPM since my remote was in PPM mode. For some reason it seems no matter what I try I can not get the sliders to move on the calibration screen.

I can hear the servos are powered up and I verified that the TX is talking to the RX by removing the Naza and directly controlling the servos from the receiver.

Can anyone tell me if the RX and TX I have are compatible with the Naza-M?

Also, since I am assuming my RX is not compatible can you tell me what $50 - $100 RX/TX combos are compatible?

Thanks
David

nsscaver1

Did you download the driver for the Naza and the VU unit(That's the device your USB cable plugs into)? You download it from the same place as the Assistant software. If so, does the Naza showup under the device manager? I think any receiver works with the Naza. Good luck. I love mine. Most stable platform I've ever used. Bill

Squintz

I got it working now. So I think the problem was that I did not have all my channels end points set to 100% and my trims to 0. I hooked an oscilloscope up to the receiver and verified that I was getting a good PWM signal out of the receiver and I verified that the sticks were mapping to the proper channels. Then I connected up the Naza-M and looked at the output on the oscilloscope. I was getting a square wave which may have been a consistent PWM signal but the output was not moving with input from my TX. So I scratched my head a little and finally saw a little note in the Assistant application that say step one was to set the channels to 100%. I had to cycle the power on my TX and as soon as I did that the thing came to life and I was able to calibrate.

Hopefully this weekend I can get it all mounted to a frame.

Squintz

Kilby and I spent the day assembling a quad and we ran in to a problem. For some reason the motors start as soon as we power everything up. When we move the throttle stick the motors don't increase their speed. Also, if we pick the quad up and tilt it the motor speeds don't change to try and compensate for the tilt as we would expect. Being a newbie I'm not really sure where to start looking. I'm guessing its a problem with the TX setup still. Any suggestions?

b0nafide

That suggests to me that you may have your mode incorrect on your controller. For instance: your throttle stick is set as your rudder? And your rudder (sitting at basically 50% upon startup) throttles the motor up upon receiving power.

Hi All,

I recently tried to run 72mhz on my NAZA. There are a couple of things that you should know (from my experience).

1. The NAZA does not play well with PPM or 72mhz. The only way I got mine to work was to set it up as traditional and use channels 1-4 as the AETR of the naza.
2. You CAN get it to work but the naza emits some 72mhz spewage so your range is max 300ft.

If you can figure out how to get it running and have 72mhz normal range (mile or two) PLEASE let me know. I am stuck with an old DX5e until my FrSKY conversion kit comes in.