Should I keep investing in 5.8ghz video?

Rehost

Hey guys I'm stuck at a crossroad. I went flying in an open field and got about 500 feet away and noticed some cutouts on my fatshark 600mw/Dominator setup with bluebeam antennas.

My question is, should I invest in 5.8 diversity receiver with specialized antennas? Or should I just go 1.3?

Also, will the 1.3 interfere with my DSMx 2.4ghz radio?

Thanks!
Dan

kloner

Aerial DP
1.3 interferes with GPS and it needs a filter to attentuate the second wave 2.4

If your only getting that far you'd want to work on cleaning up the platform it's all on. My 5.8 600mw went a mile and a half with no signs of giving up.

Without seeing what you got it is hard to make any comments on how to go further

Rehost

Hi Kloner, I think I have read pretty much everything you posted on these forums hahaha

Is it worth me investing in a 5.8 Diversity for my ground station? I'm really torn between this weak frequency to 1.3 or even 900mhz. Is 900mhz picture quality really that bad?

Also, once locked, does the GPS maintain accuracy? I don't mind waiting a bit longer to lock on but if it messes with fail safes then we got a problem.

From what I understand, 1.3 doesn't interfere with 2.4, because 2nd and 3rd harmonics are beyond 2.4 range. Is this true? Or are harmonics close enough to leak into 2.4 spectrum.

Thanks!
Dan

Rehost

Ok here she is. I put the ping pong ball over the bluebeam just yesterday to protect it so I don't think that's the problem. I read as long as its facing down or up, the antenna should be fine. Anyhow if you see anything wrong point it out :)

View attachment 9598View attachment 9599

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21360848368.225582.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21360848368.225582.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 500
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21360848384.453812.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21360848384.453812.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 408

plingboot

Have you tried using the stock rubber duck antennas, just as a test to see what range you get with them and see if it might be a Tx antenna issue.

Other options are IRC SpiroNet antennas and the new airwave 5.8gHz Dominator module - not hugely expensive - which IRC suggest doubles receiver range.

kloner

Aerial DP
See how you got that antenna shrouded in landing gear? Change that up, if possible remount it so its pointing up and clear and free of obstructions. I also see gobs of wire. On mine to make them work as good as possible I trim down every wire. Eliminate all the plugs, RCA, etc

Rehost

Good idea Plingboot, I will try the original antennas to see if its a faulty antenna.

I'm not sure the spironet will do better than my bluebeam? The crosshairs looks nice and from the reviews is very good. But just how directional is it? Will I have to put a tracker on it or follow it with my head? Hehehe

I will raise the antenna up top as you said Kloner. And I guess I should spend more time organizing the platform and less time spending money Hahahaha

Dan

kloner

Aerial DP
It has a 120 degree beam good for miles out front and decent reception all around it. The spiro net patch is less gain but even more omni. It is the only kind of receiver antennas kloner flies on all frequencies.

Do this just to prove to yourself, take the vtx, cam and power it up out of the heli. Check reception like that.

Rehost

Kloner you fly with spiros or crosshairs?

I will try as you suggest. That should give me a good idea of the problems.

I will keep you posted

Thanks!
Dan

Rehost

Looks like 1.3 right Kloner? What type of screen are you using? And is that a diversity receiver?

Nice UHF setup :)

Even the ground station is a great idea, can stay standing up.

Show me some pics of that TBS please!

Dan

kloner

Aerial DP
That is 2.4 video around the outside of the tripod, 5.8 in the center of the tripod and a 5.8 on the back of the monitor. Also have a tracker but don't need it with crosshair patch antennas.

I bought 900, 1258-1280, 2.4 and 5.8. Kept the 2.4 and 5.8 and ditched the rest.

1.3 clovers are 5" across, 900 is 7" across. A 900 crosshair is 13"x13". Just too big

JG-rn

Kloner,

can you give me an idea on how you attached the EZUHF Tx to the 8J and how you're powering the two of them?

also, on the lawmate vRx your just using an additional lipo on your tripod?

kloner

Aerial DP
005%20%28768x1024%29.jpg

I soldered the ppm and power wires to the pcb inside ezuhf, drilled a hole, placed a grommet then ran the wires behind ezuhf to my futaba ppm output. Had to disconnect the power from the 8j since its only 5v and ran an external lipo to the ezuhf

On my tripod it has one lipo powering everything. 3s on both