Yuneec Q500 RTF AP/AV Heli

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
We've got one on its way to us for a product review.......if anyone has been looking into these let's here whatever questions you have and we'll get answers and a report as soon as we get it.

http://yuneec.com/products/q500-typhoon

$1,299.00, retail price

The Q500 Typhoon is a complete aerial photography and videography (APV) system. The Q500 System includes the aircraft, a 1080P HD camera, a CGO2-GB 3 axis precision gimbal, the ST10 personal ground station, 2 batteries, a charger and an 8GB micro SD card. In addition, there are a number of accessories including a sun shade, car charger, USB adapter/charger and an extra set of 4 rotors.

The ST10 personal ground station is a 10-channel 2.4GHz RC transmitter that supports a 5.8GHz video downlink that delivers streaming video to the built-in screen of the transmitter.

While the Q500 offers a superior flying experience, it is the quality of the video and still images that sets it apart. The CGO2 GB combines the 12 megapixel, 1080p/60FPS camera and the 3-axis brushless gimbal into a single unit that captures smooth, steady aerial video and still images in vivid detail.

In addition for a limited time only you will receive the SteadyGrip that allows you to use the CGO2 GB as a action video camera.

q500_front-_1_copy.jpg

• st10-2_copy.jpg
  • q500_st10_copy.jpg
  • q500_45degree-_2.jpg

PMaughan

I saw the H920 at a boat show of all places and it looked pretty good with a very sexy transmitter/ground station combo. Couldn't believe how cheap it was when they told me, so much so that I've completely forgotten how much it was!

Y0urDaddy

Hey Bart...

This was about a year ago, what was your impression of the Typhoon? I saw the new model with the 4k camera today at a local Best Buy. When I think about what it cost me in total to get my F450 in the air (starting from nothing) the cost of one of these does not seem that bad to me.

I see searching the forums that there are a few posts about the Typhoon series so we may not need another one. The display model I saw today was much larger than I thought it would be. I would say it is slightly larger than my F450, I was expecting it to be more Phantom sized.

Bartman

we were expecting a sample from Yuneec and all indications were that we'd receive it but it never showed up. what we saw elsewhere around the internet didn't seem to make further inquiries worthwhile

Y0urDaddy

Sounds like you have a bit of a history with the company. Should I decide to pick one of the 4k models up would you be interested in knowing my thoughts on the product?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
I flew this rig a few months back, it was OK. It flys fine, and the footage is "OK" but the over all quality and "feel" is no where close to the Phantom 3, and especially the Inspire 1.

Bartman

I'm happy to see coverage of as much of the market as possible! I think @Old Man is buying a Chroma 4k and plans to post about his experiences with it so having your review of the Yuneec product would be great for our members to have available.

Sounds like you have a bit of a history with the company.
I try to do as much as I can and when a company says enthusiastically that they are sending a product for a review and then they don't, it leaves you wondering why.

Bartman

I flew this rig a few months back, it was OK. It flys fine, and the footage is "OK" but the over all quality and "feel" is no where close to the Phantom 3, and especially the Inspire 1.
are you talking about the Q500 or the Typhoon 4k?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Q500. It was probably 4 months ago.. some dude had one at a flying I went to, and I checked it out.. wasn't impressed. P3 blows it away. And I think the 4K is just the same thing with a 4K cam... P3 is the cats meow. (man do I hate to say that)

MadMonkey

Bane of G10
Friend of mine just got one of these (the 4K version). I like a lot of the features, but I haven't seen the video quality and it doesn't really seem like the company is "there" yet.

On the plus side, he did have a crash due to a bad motor or ESC and they sent him a whole new unit. So at the moment, the customer service might be there. Although the whole "crash due to a bad motor or ESC" doesn't sound good... :confused:

Old Man

Bart was correct when he mentioned I purchased a Chroma CGO3 package in 4k. I'm heading home to Cali in a couple days and it should be waiting for me when I arrive. I plan on working with it and sharing what I find.

The Chroma and Q-500/Typhoon share the same ST-10 transmitter and video systems. You have the options of purchasing with a Go Pro gimbal arrangement, CGO-2 in 1080, and CGO-3 in 4k. The 4k version provides a bit more versatility in that you have more frame rates and can down shift to shooting in 1080 if you desire.

Unlike the Phantom, neither the Q500/Typhoon or Chroma require an auxiliary control or video device such as an iOS or Android phone or tablet. The ST-10 provides a viewing screen that can be adjusted for a straight video view or one that includes flight telemetry. The downside if the Yuneec video system is that should you desire to pump video to a secondary device you will need auxiliary tablets that are WiFi enabled and have the CGO app installed. Although they stream on 5.8 they "encrypted" the frequency and made the transmission proprietary.

The Q500/Typhoon is severely speed limited and larger than the Chroma. As mentioned, both have a strong customer support system that has thus far been quite effective in handling repairs or replacement. Downside of the Chroma is the user manual pretty much sucks as designed, lacks a lot of desirable info, and appears to target an audience more attuned to reading comic books than tech articles.

I've reviewed Phantom-3 Pro video and CGO-3 side by side. There are differences but both look pretty good when the streaming permits 1080 or higher for viewing. Don't use You Tube videos for comparisons. You Tube has serious compression issues when high def video is played back.

Bartman

Downside of the Chroma is the user manual pretty much sucks as designed, lacks a lot of desirable info, and appears to target an audience more attuned to reading comic books than tech articles.
that's why we have great members like you that volunteer to take the time and straighten out the kinks for the rest of us!

Thanks mate! lol

Y0urDaddy

I think a comparison to the Phantom 3 is valid, but the last time I priced an Inspire 1 with a 4k camera it was around $1,300 more than the Typhoon. Looking one up on Amazon quickly the 4k model Inspire is like 2 Typhoons.

If I decide to pick one up I will post something here about it. I have not really been flying my F450 much recently. Not really lack of interest in flying, just no real interesting places that I may get some cool video of close by. My F550 project is kind of dead in the water. To do the build I want on that it will likely be more than the Typhoon to get it to a flying state.