Y6 Aircraft loses altitude with any forward motion. I'm clueless!

teknoel

teknoel
Forward flight can't hold altitude at all

attachment.php
Hope someone can shed some light on this bad issue. My new machine isn't flying so well, and I'm unsure how to resolve it. I would really like some input if you can... My aircraft takes off and hovers great. However, when flying forward at any speed whatsoever, it slowly loses altitude. At maximum forward speed, the drop is very dominant. Plus, the scary part is this: In forward flight, as soon as I let go of the Transmitter controls and both sticks return to center, the aircraft plummets badly and then slowly rises and hovers. This happens in GPS mode. I know the machine has adequate thrust as it can climb very well. I tried changing the Naza Vertical Gain from min to max, no difference. The Naza v2 is the same unit I've been using in the old configuration with pretty much no issues. It's running the lastest firmware.

Before upgrading, my old configuration flew really, really good. Now, it's crap because it can't hold altitude on any maneuvering.

I upgraded my Flamewheel F550 Y6 replacing the stock DJI motors and ESCs with KDE Direct Motors and ESCs. I went from DJI 2212 920kV + 30A OPTO ESCs with 10x5 Graupners @ 3s lipo. Now I'm at KDE 2814 775Kv + KDE 35+ ESCs wtih 12x4 T-Motor CF's @ now at 4S lipo. Increasing from 3S to 4S is quite substancial. I was carrying 6,000mAh 3S before, now I'm 7,000mAh 4S. The new motors and ESCs alone added over 600g of weight. :(

The AUW on old DJI config was about 2200g with a gopro stuck on it.

Now, with the new propulsion, 4S and a gopro camera gimbal, I'm at 3206g

VIDEO: http://instagram.com/p/rQJ91tq5y_

Suggestions??

Attachments

• 2014.08.03-IMG_0002.jpg
    2014.08.03-IMG_0002.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 282
Last edited by a moderator:

teknoel

teknoel
Hope someone can shed some light on this bad issue. My new machine isn't flying so well, and I'm unsure how to resolve it. I would really like some input if you can... VIDEO: http://instagram.com/p/rQJ91tq5y_ My aircraft takes off and hovers great. However, when flying forward at any speed whatsoever, it slowly loses altitude. At maximum forward speed, the drop is very dominant. Plus, the scary part is this: In forward flight, as soon as I let go of the Transmitter controls and both sticks return to center, the aircraft plummets badly and then slowly rises and hovers. This happens in GPS mode. I know the machine has adequate thrust as it can climb very well. I tried changing the Naza Vertical Gain from min to max, no difference. The Naza v2 is the same unit I've been using in the old configuration with pretty much no issues. It's running the lastest firmware.

Before upgrading, my old configuration flew really, really good. Now, it's crap because it can't hold altitude on any maneuvering.

I upgraded my Flamewheel F550 Y6 replacing the stock DJI motors and ESCs with KDE Direct Motors and ESCs. I went from DJI 2212 920kV + 30A OPTO ESCs with 10x5 Graupners @ 3s lipo. Now I'm at KDE 2814 775Kv + KDE 35+ ESCs wtih 12x4 T-Motor CF's @ now at 4S lipo. Increasing from 3S to 4S is quite substancial. I was carrying 6,000mAh 3S before, now I'm 7,000mAh 4S. The new motors and ESCs alone added over 600g of weight. :(

The AUW on old DJI config was about 2200g with a gopro stuck on it.

Now, with the new propulsion, 4S and a gopro camera gimbal, I'm at 3206g

Suggestions??

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2014.08.03-IMG_0002.jpg
    2014.08.03-IMG_0002.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 273
Last edited by a moderator:

teknoel

teknoel
As I said in my original post. :( I've tried adjusting the vertical gain from absolute minimum setting to maximum 250%. No difference

hjls3

in your original post you said you adjusted the "altitude gains" did you mean attitude...and vertical gain is something different - DOES this happen when not in GPS mode?

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
If you've added weight then your centre of gravity has changed. Have you adjusted your CoG settings with regard to IMU and GPS positions in the assistant? I can't see any lipos in your picture above but if underneath then you have probably lowered your CoG.

teknoel

teknoel
Hi there, I was aware of that and adjusted the CoG accordingly.

Just last night I tried a test flight without all the camera and gimbal equipment on the aircraft. It was about 700g lighter, but still had the same bad flight behavior.

Adjusting the Vertical gain from a minimum to a maximum setting does nothing.

If you've added weight then your centre of gravity has changed. Have you adjusted your CoG settings with regard to IMU and GPS positions in the assistant? I can't see any lipos in your picture above but if underneath then you have probably lowered your CoG.