WKM Y6 flys again

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Having pretty much worked out all the gain issues on the flat hex configuration this past weekend I converted the WKM hex back into a Y6. The parameter settings I had for the flat hex were fairly close for the Y6 though I did have to make some changes. I haven't had a lot of time to do much flying with it yet, did some basic gain setting tweaks and have it very close to the level of stability it had, the video looks to be close to the same so I'm in the ballpark just need time and space to fly in for dialing it in. I will say it flys different than the flat hex setup, not in a bad way, just that it responds differently and it seems to have a lot more yaw authority in the Y6 config, overall stability is about the same.

Today I put the older AV130 under the MK/Droidworx AD6 and flew it for the first time in probably 5 or 6 weeks. Completely and totaly different flight than the WKM, on the first flight it felt more like I was flying with a Kk controller than an MK controller as I remembered it to be, guess I've been spending too much time with the two WKM multis... :)

Ken

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
So which is the best platform?

Thanks in advance. Tim.

The answer is, it depends.

Define 'best', best for sport flying, best for learning to fly, best for APV, best for aerobatics, best for ease of setup, ...?

For an APV platform I'd have a hard time saying one is better than the other, there are situations where I'd prefer one over the other simply because each one is stronger in some areas and lacking in others. In the long run I could live with either one and not miss the other if all I was going to do with it was APV, expand the use case and then each ones strengths and weaknesses become more relevant as to which is best.

Ken

FlyEYE

Ken I'll have to ask you to give a little more details on your last response please. I'm going to be building WKM bird for APV, what situations would you prefer the flat to the Y?
Also debating whether to just build a Quad with larger motors and props. Thanks

Michael64

Hi Ken
On setting what changed between the two ships as far which gains and advanced setting did you change wondering how close the flat hexa and Y-6 really are.

Michael64

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Ken I'll have to ask you to give a little more details on your last response please. I'm going to be building WKM bird for APV, what situations would you prefer the flat to the Y?
Also debating whether to just build a Quad with larger motors and props. Thanks

My experience has been that the flat hex is a bit more stable than the Y6 overall so if raw video quality is the main objective I'd have to say that would be my preference. In cases where redundancy is a big concern, like when having an expensive camera sitting on the platform, I'd lean more towards the Y6 and fly it a little differently to smooth it out as much as possible. I'd probably also use the Y6 more for stills than the flat hex for a couple reasons, one being the last little bit of wobble that is proving hard to get rid of in the Y configuration wouldn't be as much of a concern, and not having the motor out front would be another in either case. There have been days when the angle of the flat hex in relation to the sun has caused what I can only describe as a subtle horizontal scan line effect in the video as the spinning prop briefly dims the bright light as it passes through its travel over and in front of the camera lens. Having the widely spread front arms of the Y6 minimizes the effect though in some circumstances it can still occcur but it's much less of an issue.

The Y6 seems to have better yaw authority so if its a case of flying in close quarters that requires a lot of turning in place I might favor the Y6 for that use as well. Either one is pretty good at rotating on axis without much drift but do feel the Y6 has a slight advantage, then there's the matter of less arms to potentially come in contact with something but if the flying is that close I'd want to have the smaller quad and GoPro anyway.

I just did a back to back video flight using the MK/Droidworx AD6 and the WKM Y6 within about 10 minutes or so of each other. Flew the same route using the same exact GoPro camera and with similar AV130 mounts under each. I say similar because the older one under the AD6 has Hyperion servos and the newer one under the WKM has Savox and is noticeably faster and less prone to twitching. I still have some adjustments to make on both multis and on the older AV130 servos now that I have the programmer for them but the end result is they've close to each other in the raw video that came out of the camera. I'm going to edit them down to a couple minutes and I'll put them up on Youtube later for comparison.

Hi Ken
On setting what changed between the two ships as far which gains and advanced setting did you change wondering how close the flat hexa and Y-6 really are.

Michael64

The changes are small and I'm still working on it. I did just find during the video flight that I need to turn the Altitude gain down on the Y6. At one point I just pushed the throttle to full max climb and it responded with the first true gain related oscillation I've seen with the WKM so I need to reduce the settings and try again but that won't happen today as it's just about to get dark here and I'm out of charged batteries. I have to say I've never done a full power climb attempt with the WKM before so I had no idea what to expect, now I know. Did the same thing with the MK/AD6 and it took off vertically like it had JATO pods on it, clearly the six big Pulso motors have no problem lifting its 3 1/2 kilo RTF weight!

Ken

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I have my hex using the AV130 and nex5n. My results are fantastic! AND I am using the Xaircraft electronics. As good as things are, and they are VERY VERY good. I want GPS. The problem is that I no longer want to deal with Xaircraft's lack of customer service, or lack of it when I need it most. I also dont want to take chances with gear that a small percentage of users are happy with. So of course, the WKM, like most of us now, has my attention. What I am really wondering about is the ability to smoothly control my 800 sized hex. I am thinking I can reduce the arm length as I am pretty happy with 12" props. And the XAircraft FC will only handle 3s anyways. I love the idea of using a Y6 if i can get comparable results but your comments scare me away from that. Does the WKM control the AV130 smoothly? I suppose it cant possibly be worse than the Xaircraft. I want to buy that cheap DJI 450 frame and put my Xaircraft FC in it to use for a travel unit. Does the WKM accept 4s batteries ok?

Last edited by a moderator: