WKM connectors and Spektrum AR8000?

PilotHal

Real Pilot, RC's Too
Definitely clawing my way to completion here...
Anyway, I finally got my software registered, so I go to hook up the little connector wires from the MC to my Spektrum AR8000 receiver and guess what? The cable connector doesn't fit the AR8000 receiver!!!! The connector has a little flange on top - where the Spectrum receiver doesn't. Joy.
Now what? What kind of connector is on the WKM? What kind of connector is on the AR8000? Is there such a thing as a converter cable?
Help! :upset:
Thanks!

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Just take a pair of side cutters and snip off the key (the long thin bit up the side of the connector). Just make sure when you have snipped it off that you ensure the correct polarity when you insert the plug in to the AR8000

DAve

PilotHal

Real Pilot, RC's Too
Just take a pair of side cutters and snip off the key (the long thin bit up the side of the connector). Just make sure when you have snipped it off that you ensure the correct polarity when you insert the plug in to the AR8000

DAve
Thanks for the response Dave! Your saving me here.
Do you know the polarity of the color coded wires and the receiver? I know there is a signal, power and something else but I don't know which wires they are and to insert the connector.
Is there a name for the connector that is used for the Spektrum AR8000 that I can buy and try to put the pins into? Or should I just snip the key as you suggest?
Thanks!

EDIT: I just noticed that the pin is keyed. Can I just lop-off the flange and align the key in to the AR8000 RX? Will the polarity be correct? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

avmedia123

Just snip the little keys off. I have the same setup. If you look on top of the AR8000 there is a little symbol with a "-" a "+" and a little hat symbol(upside down U) which illustrates which way you plug in the wires. The "-" symbol is the negative wire(generally black or brown), the "+" is positive(usually red) and the upside down hat symbol is the signal wire (usually yellow or orange). Hope this helps.

PilotHal

Real Pilot, RC's Too
Just snip the little keys off. I have the same setup. If you look on top of the AR8000 there is a little symbol with a "-" a "+" and a little hat symbol(upside down U) which illustrates which way you plug in the wires. The "-" symbol is the negative wire(generally black or brown), the "+" is positive(usually red) and the upside down hat symbol is the signal wire (usually yellow or orange). Hope this helps.
Awesome! :joyous:
I notice that the connector is keyed on two edges and fits only one way in to the AR8000. So I'm good by lopping off the key and aligning the connector accordingly on the AR8000? (Forgive my nervousness, I'm a noobie at this...)

avmedia123

Yep, think you're right. It has that little angle on top that has to line up with the receiver doesn't it? Can't check, not at home right now...

PilotHal

Real Pilot, RC's Too
Yes. After the lopping off the key, the connector will only go in one way in to the receiver. The reason for my caution is the the connector goes in with the key's facing one way in the MC and the connector goes in the RX with the angles facing the other direction. So I don't mess anything up polarity-wise. Comments?

PilotHal

Real Pilot, RC's Too
Follow-up: Well, I used a pair of "pinch" cutters and cut off the flange on the connector. Then I used a very sharp X-Acto blade and slowly trimmed off the rest of the flange that was left over. I found this method to be the best. I tried using my Dremel with a sanding mandrel, but it was too rough. So, I just wanted to report my findings.
I then aligned the connector appropriately - with the keys facing the correct direction - and the connectors went in nicely to the AR8000. Everything is working!

SkySailor

PilotHal - Great posting. I am building a F550 Naza hexacopter with the Spektrum AR8000 and was scratching my head if I should snip the flange. Now I know what to do.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD