WKM + Cinestar 3 axis Power Problems?

Matto822

Hi guys,

Im starting to setup a new gimbal and I don't want to run the Z15 just because I don't like the limitations to the camera for the application that I am after. I was wondering if anyone has used the WKM and Cinestar 3 Axis and how has it worked for them with the WKM? I have seen some threads around stating there might be a power issue and the WKM doesn't support other 3 axis gimbals other than the Z15. is this true? If so are there any other gimbals that are to similar quality that get steady footage that the WKM support or does it just come down to running a separate stabilization system, which i would rather not do for weight reasons? Any advice or setup advice would be great if people have had experience with this gimbal or other gimbals that I am not aware of besides the AV200. This application will be going on a hexacopter. Thank for the information.

tombrown1

Just run the WKM separate from the Cinestar. Use Radians for stabilization - they are much better than WKM stabilization. Use a small separate battery to power the Cinestar. If you have a rig that can carry the Cinestar then the weight of Radians and an extra battery are negligible.

Bowley

Just run the WKM separate from the Cinestar. Use Radians for stabilization - they are much better than WKM stabilization. Use a small separate battery to power the Cinestar. If you have a rig that can carry the Cinestar then the weight of Radians and an extra battery are negligible.

Is there any reason you use an seperate battery for them Tom, as opposed to a BEC

tombrown1

We run a two-man show, so we have a 360 gimbal. If we run from the main batteries then the wires would keep twisting. So we just put a battery on the gimbal. I suppose we could buy a twisting electrical connector that is designed to swivel - but that would probably be another dozen or so hours of my life.

If you're running a one-man show, then you probably don't need 360, so just connect to the mains.

Matto822

We are running a two man show for sure and it is on a hexacopter with 4850 motors so the weight is no issue although the lighter the better. My next question is until I have another 1000 dollars to spend would the WKM be "OK" in the mean time or is it just terrible?

Bowley

We are running a two man show for sure and it is on a hexacopter with 4850 motors so the weight is no issue although the lighter the better. My next question is until I have another 1000 dollars to spend would the WKM be "OK" in the mean time or is it just terrible?

Ah yes, makes sense.

Bowley

I dont know if there is a lot of difference between the gimbal outputs of WKM and Naza. While waiting until I could afford Radians tried the Naza outputs and powered from a 6v BEC on the freefly servos as a make do solution and they dont work basically. I got horrific latency and jitters whatever refresh rate or gain settings I used. Hoverfly apparently works with signal conditioners available from them.

tombrown1

Wkm stabilization is widely regarded as crap.

You really only need two radians IMO.

I've never really understood the need for pan stab.

So you'll need $700. As far as hooking up wkm to cinestar - idk how you'd do that. You could just hook it up and not ever pan the gimbal - do panning with the hex instead.

Just find the money for radians. It's worth it.

Matto822

I wondered that as well. Is there any reason at all you would need the 3rd radian stabilization for the pan on the cinestar? Otherwise I don't see why 2 would not be sufficient. If there is a situation and someone knows please let me know. Thanks.

tombrown1

It allows you to yaw your hex when you want without screwing up the cam operator. If you can fly reasonably well there isn't any need to yaw during a shot.

Matto822

So if I buy the 2 axis setup can I add the third later by just buying 1? From what I see they all look the same and it just depends on were you mount the stabilizer. Is this correct or am I wrong and I would I have to start again and buy the 3 axis package?

Matto822

Has anyone used both the AV200 and the Cinestar? Is there a big difference there? It looks the the AV200 can carry a bit larger cameras but are you losing a lot of quality?