Who here is from FL?

Gambrinus

SW Florida here. I've flown helis before and I'm about to build my first multi and keeping my eye out for a safe place to fly.

cootertwo

So it sounds like there are at least 3 of us in this area. How come I've never seen another Rocket around here? Alva Diner? Kuntry Kitchen in Immokalee? Immokalee Drag strip?

Rgolfer

Gearing Up to Fly
I live on a golf course so I fly late in the day after all the golfers are gone. A bit restrictive but not too bad and so far the golf club doesn't seem to mind (meaning no one has complained). Otherwise I haven't found a decent place with enough room to fly. Still looking and would like to find something better. I have noticed that the soccor/baseball fields in Lee county seem to have a prohibition against RC airplanes.

Gambrinus

Those soccer fields look very tempting, I didnt realize they were posted. Oh well, a little too close to 75 for me anyway.

I live on a golf course as well but im sure someone would have a fit if i went out there. I can fly at a place in the everglades but its not ideal and its 40 minutes away. I think i will eventually join the club in naples and get it over with.

Rgolfer

Gearing Up to Fly
I'm new at this and wasn't aware there was a club in Naples. Where is that located and how does it work.

It's also possible not all soccer fields are posted. I continue to look.

Gambrinus

Check out their website http://cmac1.org/

The only thing is their membership dues is high for the first year but at least its a safe and legal place to fly that is not too far away. Im new to multirotors too, this is my first build.

Gambrinus

Rgolfer

I've finished my f550, and having fun flying n my street for now. Let me know if you want to get together and fly someplace.

Stitch1615 from Dunedin, FL.

I have a 700mm Y-6, 550, Idea Fly4 converted to Naza a few smaller ones and am fine tuning my newest build, a Tarot 650.
The 650 a a tad smaller then the Y-6 but it is what I consider my "Big Guy".
It is powered by 4 Multistar 4830 420kv motors using 45 amp Multistar ESC's with 14x5.5 APC Props.
I decided on a a 4S battery and chose a Turnigy Zippy 8000 mah 30c.
I normally fly at SPARKS Field in St Pete or the Dunedin Art Center.

Monday were my first test flight and with the battery fully charged I calibrated it with the Naza Assistant.
It calibrated at 17.4 volts. I have no idea how that is possible but I took it at it's word.
(When tested with the small read out voltage monitor it is 16.7.)
I went to the park at the Dunedin Art Center, where they are electric model friendly (even encouraging flying), and fired up for my first test flight.
I do not have telemetry on it as I do my others so I hung the small readout monitor on the balance plug and took off.
I also had the NAZA battery monitor on. I don't use it with any of my others as I use the Spektrum telemetry.
I was timing it with the stop watch on my DX 8 and when I got to 10 min of mixed flying and hovering I checked the voltage.
It was over 15 volts.
I continued flying and occasionally brought it in to look at the volt meter and finally stopped when I had 25 min on the stop watch and the volt meter was reading 14 volts.
The battery was no warmer then ambient and the motors and esc's were not even warm.
I ran it thru the ecalc and it said I should get no where near that time. Especially with a battery the weight of a brick.
I was amazed. After a few minutes I put on my other battery for a second flight that netted the same results.
The Naza battery monitor never changed from green. Even with solid punches near the end of the flight.
I'm waiting for some 10mm tubes to mount the GoPro gimbal on and we'll see what it does with some added weight.

Sorry to ramble on but I am Psyched!