'WHICH' AP Cameras

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I'm actually quite happy with the 12MP Canon SX 200 I'm using with CHDK intervalometer. With a 4 GB SD memory card and the interval set to as quick as 2 seconds I can shoot continuously for an entire flight and won't even come close to filling the card. Afterward I just pick the shots I want and bin the rest, the stills I posted in the "day at the field" thread were done with this exact setup though I did render them down into 4 x 5 format to post on the web.

I'm thinking I may try flying my Nikon D80 on the heavy lifter if I can come up with an inexpensive method of triggering the shutter although it actually has less megapixels than the Canon so not sure exactly what I would be gaining by doing that as I'd have to set it to automatic anyway.

Ken

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Gentled has a trigger mech for it. The difference in quality of shot is the lens. mega pixels count but not so much as the lens and size of the CCD thingy mabob.

I got the Nex5 because it can shoot RAW

my latest shot with it

DSC00376.jpg

And my set up

12504fa1.jpg

Thanks for the tip on Photobucket ken

Dave, Looking good. Have you been able to get live video out for a downlink out of the NEX5? I have been looking at one for a couple months and know it does fairly well with video. What do you think of the still quality compared to other high end cropped sensors. Could you email me a high res example of one of your aerials? I'll PM my email address.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Cant get live video out. There is some roumors of a little box that converts the HMDI out but I aint that bothered. I usually shoot frame every 5 secs and move around target.

Pm me and I will send a hi Res of the posted image. I am very pleased with this camera for my purposes.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
There's an easy answer if you want to be able to see where the camera is pointing and there is no live video out, just mount one of the small FPV CCD cameras to the platform and use that. No the view won't be exactly the same as through the lens, but close enough that with a little practice you'll know the delta between the two views and be able to adjust. The rest of the gear needed is exactly the same as what you would need to get a live feed from the main camera so we're not talking about a lot of extra expense or gear to install.

I use mainly the Canon SX 200 on the Hoverfly and there's no video out, so I have the FPV cam mounted to the underside of the lower center plate with a slight downward angle, works well enough for what I need. Before the HF I had the FPV cam mounted on the platform of the mkTR I had on the Hexa so I had roll and tilt comp, that was pre live video out on the GoPro. I'd do the same on the HF but the HiSight II barely has enough room for a point and shoot.

Ken

Cant get live video out. There is some roumors of a little box that converts the HMDI out but I aint that bothered. I usually shoot frame every 5 secs and move around target.

Pm me and I will send a hi Res of the posted image. I am very pleased with this camera for my purposes.

That is what I had heard. I have been holding off as I really need a live feed, especially when I have someone else at the camera controls. The FPV camera idea crosed my mind, but still is not as accurate. Dave, I was able to update the Raw support plugin on my Photoshop and open the .ARW file on my computer. The image quality is very similar to my Canon T2i. While it is good for web, it is tough to get large printable quality without noise in the dark areas of a photo. I know, I'm picky. But that means carrying a 7D or 5D which is heavy and risky. In many cases where AP is needed, the NEX5 or T2i should be fine. I am guessing the Panasonic GH2 will be similar.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Kenny.. would like that plug in for Photoshop.. were did you get it from?
I love the Nex5. I did look at the G2 but they took out the remote shutter capability which was on the G1.
I aint a pro photographer although I have filmed and shot all over the world including Tahoe. I based myself in Placerville for my adventures into Yosemite, Mammoth. Rafteed the American river a good few years ago to!. I have a very jumbled up gallery here http://gallery.me.com/davehalton
I am intending to use my ADX for survey work more than anything but also for filming extreme mountain bike riding, climbing and general life. I want to start a year in the life of... starting with the spring flowers right through the Pheasant shooting to the leaves turning in the Lake district.
If only the wind would stop and my new TX arrive! Just opened a photobucket account for my ariel stuff http://s1088.photobucket.com/albums/i329/TheDroider/.

Have you a gallery anywhere.. Im trying to remember the name of the Bar on the side of the lake opposite the walk in campground, south of Tahoe town. One of the best steaks ever, mind you it was after three weeks of walking from Yosemite! :)

Aviator

You should be able to get a video downlink from most cameras? as for remote trigger, you could use the servo method? or if you are handy with electronics and programming micro-controllers you can do it electronically how ever you want it to perform i.e take 3 photos when you hit a switch or whatever you want? any camera that has remote shutter capability is much much easier to do it with.. My first camera I mounted was a Kodak MD1063 which I had to perform open lens surgery :) to get three wires into the main board that sent 3v pulses from a MC in a certain order to get the camera to focus and then shoot...

DennyR

I see there are some Professional photographers out there. I am waiting for my Promini mount from Droidworx and am researching cameras. Looking at the Canon 550D for both video and stills. I wanted a camera with time lapse function but cant find any. I have found a plug in device by 'Hama - 5201' which will plug in to any SLR and release the shutter as often as you program it for.

Comments and advice welcomed.

With the 550D Dave you can simply record normal footage onto a large card and then speed it up in FCP. this will eliminate some of the exposure flicker problems that can come from single shot capture.