We tried out the new Ominus FPV! Here is our review...

Lucidity

UFO Pilot

For the record, I can't actually remember when I first became aware of the Ominus, but I do remember wanting one pretty badly. In the run-up to the holiday season last year, I couldn't raise the $80 to go pick one up at Tammie's – our local hobby shop – and by the time I had the cash in hand, they were completely out of stock.

I was finally able to fulfill my Ominus fixation at AMA Expo in January – and I got a great deal on it, even after paying California's sales tax (a foreign concept for us here in Oregon). When I pulled it out of the box and charged the battery, it was everything I had hoped for: tough, fun to fly, a great trainer for new pilots, and the yellow-and-black color scheme is my all-time personal favorite.

However, I judged it was much too late to do a video about the Ominus, because it had been available for months by the time I got my hands on it and there were already plenty of videos in circulation about it.

Obviously, that wasn't the case with the Ominus FPV – Dromida's follow-on product to their wildly successful debut quadcopter. We met some folks from Hobbico at CES and obviously we made some kind of impression on them, because when this new aircraft became available, they shipped one out to us straight away to do a review.

As I was wrapping up the my of the Ominus FPV unboxing, setup and testing, I realized that I had more outtakes, bloopers and sundry crash footage than I felt could reasonably be included as an “Easter Egg” at the end of the video.

So, I quickly pieced together this 90-second short with all of the extra material:

Furthermore, I thought people would be drawn to a video that included the words “epic crash” in the title and that it might, in turn, lead them to our full review of the aircraft. We'll see if that works in real life... Virtually every time a make a prediction about how our audience will respond to a project I post on YouTube, I generally get it completely, totally wrong – so I wouldn't wagering any money on this gambit.

sledge57

I'll see if I can get my brothers video from his "epic crash into a tree" His Ominus FPV didn't fare as well as yours.

He said he could buy a std Ominus for what it's costing to fix his.

In fairness though it wasn't the crash into the tree that did the damage it was the fall from the tree after he got it "Unstuck" :D