XAircraft trouble getting smooth motor spool-up with new escs - is it the wrong combo?

dma251

I am having trouble getting a smooth spool-up on my Hexa with QuadDancer QD1100B motors. I recently installed new Turnigy Plush 30A escs, and I think the problem might be in the high amperage capability of the escs, compared to the much lower demand of the motors. It is very hard to take off smoothly unless I punch the throttle and takeoff fast. I notice that during the spool-up one or two of the rotors are barely turning while the others are already creating significant lift. Its also not a particularly smooth performer once in the air either.

Is this maybe something a esc timing adjustment might fix? Let me know if I need to post a video of some type.

Tomstoy2

First off, did you program each individual esc, one at a time, starting off with high and low throttle position and then move onto the esc calibration?
As I said, all of this needs to be done, one at a time hooked up to the reciever, not the motor controller.

Only 3 things need to be changed from default in the calibration. Battery type to nicd, cut-off to slow, and motor timing to medium.

Do not forget to exit the programming or nothing gets saved.

dma251

Did it with the programming card one at a time, but now I can't remember what I set the timing at. Possibly the high or low setting... Any thoughts on the impact of incorrect timing programming while I dig up my programming card to try to fix this?

Tomstoy2

Motor timing is critical. Medium is always a good place to start.

The esc's need to know your throttle range though. That is why it is necessary to have props off, and one at a time, plugged into your reciever, power connected, advance throttle to max, turn on tx Nd then pull throttle to minimum.

mr7o4

Its also not a particularly smooth performer once in the air either.

Could you expand on this? I'm having similar issues with QD1200B's, but I'm actually still using the AKE 12A ESC's (my page long rambling post below yours). Did your old ESC's work well with those motors? I've tried every possible way of configuring throttle range (each individually, all at the same time through a splitter) and with a calibrated AHRS and leveled quad, cannot get all motors to spin up the same. It's the same thing - one or two motors are spinning fast and the others are at a dead stop. If you resolve your issue please let me know, I'm curious...