Tiger Motors for F550 4S 10x5 Props

AEA737

Hi guys.

I don´t know how to read all those specs from the motors. I want to upgrade the stock DJI motors on my F550 with this Tiger MT2216 motor:

http://www.rctigermotor.com/show.php?contentid=143

I´m using the Graupner 10x5 props and 4S Lipos.

So 800 or 900 Kv version for me?

9x5 props would be better?

I guess the stock ESC´s are good for this motors

Thanks,

Javier

Last edited by a moderator:

Jake Bullit

Fly,crash,glue,repeat!
I`m flying with the 800KV torxpower(same as tigers-from quadcopters.co.uk).
10x5 graupners on a TBS Disco,nice and smooth no problems.4S lipos and HobbyWing Pentium Brushless Motor 30amp esc speed controller.

AEA737

Long motor cables

MT-2216-11
T-motors are very nice!

Hi Jon.

What have you done with the excess cable? I´m not in the mood to solder 18 cables
icon8.png

Javier

Tomstoy2

View attachment 7402

With mt motors of the 2216 size, using 10" props you are going to generate maximum thrust using 3s batterys, not 4s. It will spin 10" at 4s, sure, but efficiency suffers and flight time drops.
The reason for this is 3s generates more amps than 4s. The rule of thumb here is that if you double your voltage you half your amps.

The difference between 800 and 900kv motors running 10" props is 4 more ounces of thrust with the 900kv.

If you want to run 4s and still generate maximum thrust and efficiency then don't go larger than 9".

As I said, it will spin a 10 prop on 4s, but it works a hell of a lot harder doing so.
If you go this route, best to oversize the esc's to handle the heat.

My Hexa is one fat girl. I'm running 2 each 4s 5000mah batterys in parallel plus a 3s 850mah battery to power the fpv gear. Add an mc6500pro gimbal and a GoPro H2 camera, all the rest of the stuff and she is about as heavy as she can get.
I'm running APC 9x4.5 slo-fly props and she flys just fine. She feels like a fat girl in the air, I deffinately feel the weight, but she hovers perfectly at mid stick.

However, my plan is to get more than 13 minutes of flight time out of her so my plan is to go with 10" Graupners, which are thin props, and switch my batterys to 3s 6400mah's, 2 each in parallel. By doing so I estimate I can add a little over 3 more minutes to my total and cut the overall weight by 60 grams!

It's all a balancing act. The main idea is to keep you system running at maximum efficiency. This cut down on heat generated which is the enemy.

Hope this helps some.

Attachments

• PA200001.jpg
    PA200001.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 432

AEA737

With mt motors of the 2216 size, using 10" props you are going to generate maximum thrust using 3s batterys, not 4s. It will spin 10" at 4s, sure, but efficiency suffers and flight time drops.
The reason for this is 3s generates more amps than 4s. The rule of thumb here is that if you double your voltage you half your amps.

The difference between 800 and 900kv motors running 10" props is 4 more ounces of thrust with the 900kv.

If you want to run 4s and still generate maximum thrust and efficiency then don't go larger than 9".

As I said, it will spin a 10 prop on 4s, but it works a hell of a lot harder doing so.
If you go this route, best to oversize the esc's to handle the heat.

My Hexa is one fat girl. I'm running 2 each 4s 5000mah batterys in parallel plus a 3s 850mah battery to power the fpv gear. Add an mc6500pro gimbal and a GoPro H2 camera, all the rest of the stuff and she is about as heavy as she can get.
I'm running APC 9x4.5 slo-fly props and she flys just fine. She feels like a fat girl in the air, I deffinately feel the weight, but she hovers perfectly at mid stick.

However, my plan is to get more than 13 minutes of flight time out of her so my plan is to go with 10" Graupners, which are thin props, and switch my batterys to 3s 6400mah's, 2 each in parallel. By doing so I estimate I can add a little over 3 more minutes to my total and cut the overall weight by 60 grams!

It's all a balancing act. The main idea is to keep you system running at maximum efficiency. This cut down on heat generated which is the enemy.

Hope this helps some.

This helps a lot Tomstoy, thanks.

I have both 3S and 4S packs. I switched to 4S because I was hovering at 70-75% power with 3S, stock motors and 10x5 Graupners. My F550 is also a fat girl with a gimbal and planning to add FPV. With my Nanotechs 3S 8400 Mah I get 11 min without pushing it.

Javier

Sebas600

According to the chart from T-motors 2216 900kv

3s 10x3,8 900gr
4s 10x3,8 1280gr

Of course lower cell count will lower rpm making it more efficient.
all depends on your total weight what to use.

And shure it will hover mid stick, the naza will always take care of that even if it's underpowered.
just use Ecalc this gives a good insight in your setup.

AEA737

Thanks guys for your help.
With eCalc it´s clear that 3S is the best match for Tiger Motors 2216 900Kv and 10x5 props.

Javier

AEA737

Luckily one of the national DJI distributors is only 15 minutes away and managed to get the Graupner hub spacers. I charged my 3S Lipos, checked all the newly installed FPV gear and went to the field. I couldn´t calibrate my compass due to having GPS-Atti-Failsafe configured on my mode switch, but tried the F550 in Atti with the new T-Motors 2216-11 900Kv. First flight was a dissapointment. I was expecting a lot more power, but it behaved like the old stock motors. Total weight with batteries is 2.6 Kilos. Went home to program the switches to GPS-Atti-Manual to get it into compass calibration.

Charged two 4S lipos (25-40C) and went to the field again. Calibrated de compass and plugged a 4S lipo. Now it was flying much better, more power and hovering at 55% in manual mode. eCalc says with 3S these motors are more efficient, but I don´t know what to think, the thing flies better and has much more power on 4S. The motors were only warm after each flight. I´m glad I installed the CC Bec Pro to power all my FPV and LED´s at 10V. In an 8:30 flight it consumed 4200 maH powering the FPV equipment.

Javier