tell me what i want

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
It sounds like you need to spend a little time with your Tx manual. Did you start with a fresh model? I can't remember the one you have.

You are going to need to set up from scratch, making sure all the sticks are sending signal correctly (reverse) and that you stick throws are all set to be able to hit the bottom well enough (this might be your issue with the arming). Make sure all your trims are set to neutral as well.

It is definitely not normal to activate throttle with a switch, unless it's been programmed to arm/disarm the motors.

jbrumberg

I agree with Scott about the manual. The Tx manuals are written in Changlish which is a combination of English and possibly several Chinese dialects. At best, even the best Tx manuals are difficult to understand and comprehend. I have two versions for my Tx; both difficult to understand. I am constantly re-reading my Tx owner's manual. It has a lot of good information in it. Sometimes it takes several readings and several trials on the Tx to get it to work the way it is supposed to. There are usually some training videos on Tx on the internet that of which one can take advantage. On the KK receiver test, you need to make sure that your stick movements on the Tx correspond correctly to the respective channel on the KK or reverse the signal through with the Tx. The 4 Channels AIL, ELE, THR, and RUD should read "0" on the KK board this is adjusted through your Tx subtrim settings. You should not have to activate the throttle with a switch unless that particular toggle switch was assigned in the TX to activate the throttle. You need to un-assign it if that is really what is causing the toggle switch-throttle process thing. I really do not know, I am guessing, but you should not have to be doing that. And you may have to recalibrate your stick settings; 0 = 0 and 100 = 100. Good Luck with the Tx stuff.

ya these what little i can find of manuals might as well be in chinese, pretty much everything ive learned so far is from youtube videos or discussion forums. i was able to make some progress last night and even hovered the thing off the ground a few times! seems to need a lot of throttle just to get off the ground, and it was kind of wobbly, my 4000mah battery being half assed strapped in loose didnt help.

i still plan to flash the ESCs with simonK firmware when i get my usb programmer this week, and im not 100% i did the throttle calibration correctly on the kk board, was just beeps and screen displays "throttle pass through"

i have the HK 6ch v2 tx/rx , it seemed strange that the changes you make are not really confirmed or like it doesnt tell you its transfering the changes, and when i try to "save", it only wants to open files not create one, but whatever i guess. i see a little changlish in the software too. i was able to get all my channels reversed that needed to be, and disable the throttle cut off safety that was the top left toggle, now it arms and disarms every time.

i still dont understand most of the settings, i think the fact that i never have messed with rc helicopters before makes the learning curve a little sharp, im still trying to figure out how to use the two toggle switches and knobs , i was hoping i can use them to do self level and activate some LEDs or somthing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
You should be able to set those switches up to toggle the self-leveling and 1 more thing. Is the HK transmitter you have modeled after a common name brand model? If so, you may be able to find the manual for that one - and it might have some more complete info.

jbrumberg

With 6 channels you will not be able to use all those knobs and/or toggles without specific channel assignment and you have 5 committed. There are these Rx switches that could be connected to your Channel 6 that could power lights or something. HK sells them for a couple of bucks. I have 8 channels and I can not still and it will take me a lifetime to figure out how I can use some of the stuff I do have. I would not worry about the simonK flashing stuff. Everyone was flying their ESC's long before the simonK's showed up. I am flying or trying to without the simonK's and by the time I finally get "there" "there" will be something else everyone will "need" to have. The ESC's need to be calibrated. I wrap all my lipos with tape- clear mailing tape for my 1S and clear duct tape for my 2S and 3S batteries and use velcro tape to attach my batteries to my quads. The velcro with the tape to protect the cheap wrapping on the batteries themselves really keeps the batteries secure.

Good work on the TX. They are a bear to learn in the beginning. It does easier.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I did my ESCs with the SimonK firmware. jay is right - they can be flown without them. But it seems that many agree that it helps them out for multirotor specifically (this sorta made sense to me since I figured that ESCs for other types of RC aircraft would have different needs). So I went ahead and did it, and it's a simple process with the tool. Seems to be working fine - and I figured if many people agreed, it couldn't hurt - even if it wasn't the second coming...

one of my ntm 28-30 900kv short shaft motors seems to have went bad yesterday, probably only 3 batteries through it. i did possibly wreck a prop on that motor in a light crash/flip over.. still disapointed, not sure if there is rebuild its available or if its even worth it. i ordered another and a spare today, next time i will probably order different motors. this thing flys pretty good so far with minimal tuning ! not much fun in the garage though

jbrumberg

7808- I am sorry about the motor. I am glad you got the Tx figured out and your quad flying. How badly did you damage the prop? As Scott and I are learning crashing is part of the learning curve. I would stay with less expensive motors at this point in the learning curve.

ive wrecked 2 props (not that bad, just chipped a piece out) so far.

the motor that was bad- i took it apart yesterday, i think new bearings would fix it, they self destructed. this didnt happen right after a crash though. so might just be crap bearings. i will order some extras and see if new ones fix it.

jbrumberg

A prop with a chip out of it is very, very bad. My rotary cutter, which weighs in at 1300#'s has "props" in it which are very heavy but in a way is very, very similar to a prop. It's a matter of balance This is not good. It is bad enough the cheap stock props one buys are "balanced' just enough not to self destruct under their highest load demands. I read enough posts from those builders who push the edge with their builds to realize that they realistically have to expect catastrophic failures. I saw what happened on my exQBOT which was pretty small. Chipped props do not work unless you chip the other side equally and then you chip all the other props the same way. Do not set yourself up for failure. A bent shaft on anything will tear a supporting bearing to pieces on anything.

heres another video, I took a really good one today only to find out my battery and died on my Mobius cam and didn't save any of the probably 7 minute flight... I was pissed.

so far ive replaced bearings on most if not all of my 4 motors, an broke about a dozen props, flashed my hk blue series escs to simonk (probably would never do that again, pain in the ***, did not really notice any improvement)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YWeR9CZXoU

I've been experimenting with different size props too, so far I like 8x4.5's better then 9x4.7's

jbrumberg

Thanks for sharing. Nice flying out the door and in the wind too. Is that the same tree that caught your quad the first time?

SoCal Blur

7808 - Is it just me or does it sound and look like there is some weird oscillation going on with your quad? Watch some other videos and listen to the sound of the motors and you'll hear the difference. Yours sound like they are pulsing and the video seems to bounce in sync with those pulses. Just an observation.

not really sure, cant say I even know exactly what oscillation looks like in a copter. after that video I did flashed my ESCs to simonk, did not seem to change much besides the start up music. I flashed my kk2.1 from 1.5 to 1.11 yesterday and that actually seem to make a noticeable difference in how smooth and stable it flys.

also just noticed I posted the same video twice lol