Sudden Reversed Nick and Roll

FlyEYE

Yesterday after rebuilding my MK on the weekend I was hovering in my house, everything was good. I wanted to test the emergency gas so I held on to my MK and shut off the TX. The MK stopped right away instead of staying on the 20 seconds or so. Tried it a couple times and still didn't work. I figure I must have changed something in MKTOOLS.

Having not changed anything, I tried to hover again today and, what the heck... Nick and Roll where reversed, and... emergency gas was working. After a couple power cycles of the TX and MK, everything is now working properly. Any ideas what's going on?

As for rebuilding, I was trying to land the MK and forgot to turn off position hold and altitude hold and it was bouncing off the ground pretty good (which I assume is normal). It then shot up full power into the air flipped onto a roof. Ended up blowing a BL-CTL 1.2, busting an arm and one motor is now a little noisy (slightly bent shaft?). Could this be related?

I'm using a 9CHP with spektrum module. Never had an issue with it on my helis.

Firmware on the MK is .78, one of my 1st thoughts is to put in .82 (along any other updates) just in case.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
FlyEYE
I've heard of transmitter settings being altered or wiped out when cell phones have been left too close to them but I can't even begin to imagine what's up with your Mikrokopter. I've wondered if any damage is done when Deans plugs are plugged in since they can sometimes make contact a couple of times before the plug gets put in finally after fumbling around with the halves. Maybe the power didn't get turned on cleanly when you plugged the batteries in and there were a few spare electrons running around?

FlyEYE

I did plug it in and out a few times during my "testing".
I'm using an xt60 plug but there is always that 1st contact. Everything seems ok now, of coarse I still have an uneasy feeling.
Any advice on firmware updates, a little nervous about bricking this guy. I realize of that there is an order to which firmware of the 3 to update 1st, gotta find that :). Thanks.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
if you figure out the firmware upgrade process please start another thread and explain it to the rest of us. i bought my MK with .82 already in there so i haven't had to do any updates yet.
i've been figuring out gps settings and will post some info when i have a minute to get organized. i've got the gps gain on a slider channel and it's amazing to see the MK's behavior change as the slider is moved.

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I've seen and experienced a lot of Mk weirdness, but this is a new one to me. What is the radio setup you're using, TX and RX?

As for firmware updates, there is no published procedure for doing a full update that I'm aware of and that really doesn't surprise me given the state of Mk documentation. Here's what I do, connect to the Mk and verify the current versions of all firmware on the various boards, then check the firmware repository on the German site to see what the most current version is. I have in the past received new boards with firmware that was not on the release site yet, so if you find for instance a new BL 2.0 has firmware .31 and the newest available on the download site is .30, that isn't unusual, it's happened to me.

If you find version that need to be updated, download all of the hex files to your computer and get setup to do the updates, sometimes updates to the F/C also require a new version of MKtool, so find out if that's the case and download it as well. If firmware needs to be updated on both the Navi and F/C, do the Navi first then immediately afterward do the F/C. If the version of MKtool needs to be changed you'll not see any data coming back after the F/C update, close MKtool and open the new version, everything should be working then. It's rare that ALL the boards would need to be updated at the same time, generally its Navi and F/C and the F/C gets update a lot more frequently than any of the others.

Best advice is, if you run into a problem with the update procedure failing STOP immediately and get on one of the forums and ask for assistance, often trying to fix it only makes matters worse.

And that's all I have time for at the moment, very busy day at work starting right now...

Ken

P.S. NEVER attempt a firmware update using a wireless connection, always do it hardwired...

Last edited by a moderator: