Start a new RPAS buisness... what shoul i do?

pombo

Hello from the sunniest part of Europe, Portugal.

Recently discovered this great forum, and after a lot of reading i came here to ask a help and/or opinions to those who can help me.

Since the beginning of the year I am thinking about creating a business with RPAS.

I have experience in RC planes but, little in multirotores. But i have a business partner with lots of experience in multirotors. But i always like to ear some opinions that are not from him.

What we would like to do was aerial photography and video, but also Aerial Mapping, Aerial Thermography, and maybe aerial inspections.

Now my questions; is it better to have for example the Phantom 3, Inspire 1 and the S900 / 1000, or is it better to have a single device like a professional Aibotix, Falcon 8 or something within the same class?

In Portugal the laws to operate RPAS are coming soon. Then the equipment to buy should already be aware of this and the UAV should pass the inspection.

In countries that already have laws, phantom and inspire can legally do commercial work?

Another issue has to do with the power of video transmitters. From what I've read, the max is 25mw, but i dont know anyone with less than 300 / 600mw and up to 1.2W.
Even the Inspire with Lightbridge, according to DJI guarantees about 2 km ... that I do not see how they can do that with 25mw TX, and they sell like cakes...

In Portugal we have a plague of Phantons :), and now it's starting the Inspire Plague :) can this drones have a certificate for aerial work?

Thank you for reading and if you can contribute some ideas, it will be nice.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
As far as the legality of a specific multirotor - each country is going to handle that differently. So you would be best served to research where Portugal's legislation is headed, how the regulations are shaping up, and better yet become an active participant in the process.

When it comes to choosing a craft for the work you will do, the biggest factor will be budget. This is true for any hobbyist, but especially for a small business. Lay out a detailed business plan, decide which segment(s) of the market will be the most compelling, and that should help you with your decision. The phantom and Inspire will be limited in the types of cameras they handle (at least currently) - so if your business plans to use alternative types of filming, you will most likely be looking at an MR that can handle switching cameras.

Many choices out there....

Good luck and fly safe.