SimonK ESC firmware compatability chart

Rentakill

Fellow UAV experts, I have a small issue trying to find out what simonK software my current ESC's are running. I have one ESC that needs replacing (hobbyking blue series 40amp).
I have all the equipment to flash the ESC, unfortunately I don't know what software to flash with ?????.

Thanks

dazzab

I found this comment on another forum that might be helpful:

"Get the file you think is on there, connect the programmer and use:
avrdude -c usbasp -p m8 -U flash:v:xxxxxxx.hex
Where xxxxxxxx.hex is the file you think is on there like bs_nfet.hex
This will just verify the file on your drive is on your ESC."

I found myself in the same situation as you not long ago as we discussed on the phone. I'm pretty sure I tried the bs40a.hex version but it didn't work with my motors. So the next one I would try would be the bs.hex file. Hopefully you and I will meet up soon and we can try to work through this then if you like.

Rentakill

Thanks Dazza, don't understand why one cannot just connect to the ESC and check its current software. Will contact riseabove again and see if he remembers what software he was using at the time. Ive been searching the time period around 2013 1st & 2nd quarter. I got my bird in May 2013.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
back when this was first posted, simonk firmware was needed to run the higher pole count motors that were coming into favor, especially with higher voltage battery packs.

simonk isn't the necessity it once was and I'm not so sure it hasn't caused some problems that might have been avoided if non-simon ESC's were used.

what do you guys think? what's the status of simonk firmware these days and what are the benefits?

Rentakill

My skyjib setup was working fine with over 20 hours flight time. I want to replace one part to maintain my current setup.
If I need to replace all the ESC's in order to get my baby back in the air then replace them I will.

Rentakill

Have decided to replace all ESC's, current setup has HobbyKing blue series 40A flashed simonK. Can either buy same 40A HK not simonk flashed or same HK ESC pre flashed with simonk costing an extra $7 each?????