Show us your FPV Multicopter

Malcr001

I'm not normally on this forum but a recent email sent out got me browsing here again. I love seeing photos of peoples multicopters and I have been looking for a show us your FPV multicopter thread although I'm surprised to see there isnt one? so if you have an FPV multicopter post your pics here!

Mactadpole

I'll get the thread started!

This is my current FPV copter. It has changed a bit in the last few days and will update when I get it finished.

Frame: Rusty's Rev-8 with floating camera plate
Motors: DYS 3536-11 -> NOW Avroto 2814-11
ESC's: RCTimer 30A
Props: APC 11x4.7 or 12x3.8 depends on wind
FC: HoverflyPro
FPV Camera: 600tvl Sony super HAD CCD WDR on a tilt gimbal
Transmitter: Lawmate 1.2Ghz 1w with additional heat sinks

I am just finishing putting the Avroto's on and adding a new dome. Also putting some foam balls on the end of the landing gear to give me a little more clearance underneath to better protect the FPV cam on a hard landing. The landing gear on it have a tendency to sink into the earth. The DYS motors were fine but the prop adapters aren't the best and I wanted to get to where I had the same motors on all my copters. You can't beat the Avroto's.

I really like the ability to to tilt the FPV camera up and down. Tilting down is nice for landing. I also mount my GoPro on a tripod adapter on top of the floating plate above the FPV cam. I fly it with 4s 4500-6000mah batteries.

Shawn

View attachment 3336

Attachments

• P1010545.jpg
    P1010545.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 1,220
Last edited by a moderator:

Malcr001

Nice quad Shawn. A tilt setup is something I have been considering although I'll probably put it on hold until I get things worked out with my quad. Whats the your overall flight time and weight of the quad?

I hope it was just a typo 1000w vtx!!! lol

Mactadpole

1w vtx!:shame: Sorry, I edited the post.

Just put it on the scale and it is 1544g with 12x3.8 props on it and no GoPro. That's with the Avroto's and the new dome (no pics, still waiting for paint to dry). It's lighter than I thought. With a Turnigy nano-tech 4s 6000mah I get around 17 minutes of flight with GoPro mounted. Very happy with that! Can't remember what it is on the 4500mah but not much less actually.

I don't get to practice as much as I would like so still just do a lot of hovering and going out, turning, and coming back nose in. I have been tweaking this one for a while now and it should be right where I want it with the addition of Avroto's.

I forgot to mention, I really like the HoverflyPro as an FC for FPV copter. It has a pretty nice OSD built in and it is super easy to tune with just a single adjustment via TX for whatever flight mode you are in. It's also really smooth and easy to fly.

Shawn

kloner

Aerial DP
Mine is an f450 Flamewheel frame
NAZA controller
DJI 30 amp esc's
Suppo 2814's
graupner 10x5
Hero2
immersion 5.8 600mw
Eagle Tree OSD PRO
Logger v.3, GPS expander

She flies at 1625 grams RTF, with the 4s 3000mah packs, i get 9 minutes and with 5000mah 4s she goes 14 minutes. Last weekend was her first trip to the Colorado River to do a little FPV for mine and her first time. I took it 2000 feet, 600 feet up and did 50mph going down wind, it was howling the whole weekend. the only reason i didn't press further was being my first time, the first sign of static had me gun shy, next time i'll push past it and see what's on the other side. The 2 biggest things i wanted to change when was standing out there was my fatshark goggles fit like crap and the multi had the dji 2215 motors and they just weren't enough for my weight. They flew fine, but i wanted more power. Came home and did just that

ton of pics here https://rchelicollective.com/zen/kloner/DJIf450quad/

002 (1024x768)_795.jpg

007 (1024x768)_795.jpg

This things got me addicted to the flyin like a bird bit. The only thing i want to add is a tilt on my cam so can see forward when i'm tilted forward.

kevinv033

Kloner, super slim looking build! Really diggin it.

Mactadpole, htat's a really nice looking quad. I like the landing gear legs!!

Here's my latest (re)build. It's a Rusty frame too. I gave a short LOS flight last week and I am hoping to give it the "FPV maiden" later today...

It's a Rusty UAP1 Y6 running OpenPilot Copter control.

Avroto 2814-11s
30A RapdiESC
APC 10x4.7 (Looking for Graupner 11x5)
RMRC-600XV
ImmersionRC 600mW 5.8GHz Vtx
EzOSD
EzUHF

Right now, I am powering it all from 4s 2650, but will move to 3300-4000 soon. I get 6-7 in safely and I am hoping to get 10min on 3300-4000. I have a Jakub GoPro Gimbal on the front, but it's currently not stabilized.

_KMV7750.jpg

Attachments

• _KMV7750.jpg
    _KMV7750.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 663

Malcr001

Nice kevin and kloner. Kevin it looks like your mounting your CP antenna sideways when you should mount it either facing up or down to get the best range. You wont get any glitches in video because its CP but thats what I remember being told. I cant wait to finish my quad although other priorities are taking hold at the moment.

Tomstoy2

Very nice, vid, Kloner! Your end of the Colorado river looks so much different than my end of it!

Wow, the pain killers are really kicking in now!!!

kevinv033

Nice kevin and kloner. Kevin it looks like your mounting your CP antenna sideways when you should mount it either facing up or down to get the best range. You wont get any glitches in video because its CP but thats what I remember being told. I cant wait to finish my quad although other priorities are taking hold at the moment.

Interesting, I guess I'll need an extension. On my goggles, by antenna is also 90°. Think I need to orient it 90° also?

Malcr001

Interesting, I guess I'll need an extension. On my goggles, by antenna is also 90°. Think I need to orient it 90° also?

Same goes for the RX antenna. If you were using linear polarized whip antennas I would stress the importance of antenna orientation even more but seeing as your not I wont.
No need for an extension, all your need is a right angle SMA adapter.

Kilby

Kloner, super slim looking build! Really diggin it.

Mactadpole, htat's a really nice looking quad. I like the landing gear legs!!

Here's my latest (re)build. It's a Rusty frame too. I gave a short LOS flight last week and I am hoping to give it the "FPV maiden" later today...

It's a Rusty UAP1 Y6 running OpenPilot Copter control.

Avroto 2814-11s
30A RapdiESC
APC 10x4.7 (Looking for Graupner 11x5)
RMRC-600XV
ImmersionRC 600mW 5.8GHz Vtx
EzOSD
EzUHF

Right now, I am powering it all from 4s 2650, but will move to 3300-4000 soon. I get 6-7 in safely and I am hoping to get 10min on 3300-4000. I have a Jakub GoPro Gimbal on the front, but it's currently not stabilized.

_KMV7750.jpg

That's looking good, Kevin. How is the Immersion VTX working for you? Are you getting decent range? I think I blew the power amp in mine and I'm barely able to get 100 yards now. Would love to know how yours works.

kevinv033

That's looking good, Kevin. How is the Immersion VTX working for you? Are you getting decent range? I think I blew the power amp in mine and I'm barely able to get 100 yards now. Would love to know how yours works.

I've gone about 800 feet out LOS on a clear day and had solid signal. I probably could have gone much further. I haven't really pushed it that hard since I only use it for close range mostly. For most other rigs I use 1280MHz.

I started with a bevrc 200mw system and was lucky to get 100 feet!!

kevinv033

Here's my Sport FPV quad. It's based on the Hoverthings VC450. I am using several tabbed center plates to hold gear. I normally fly with 3s 3000-4000mah. I get 8-12min depending on how aggressive the flight is. AUW is about 1.3kg

VC450 frame
OpenPilot Copter Control
ExceedRC 2210-1080kV
RapidESC 30A ESC
APC 10x4.7
EzUHF

FPV gear:
ReadyMadeRC 1.3GHz 100mW with stock whips
DOSD+ V2
SC2000 600TVL Sony Super HAD cam with 2.1mm f/2.8 lens.
GoPro with LayerLens for on-board recording.

Photo-Mar-19%2C-8-18-24-AM-%28HDR%29.jpg

Here's some videos of it in action.

This one has some tricopter footage mixed in the middle...Props in frame=VC450.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332162862.056627.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1332162862.056627.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 526

Malcr001

Nice kevin. First time I've seen a camo frame and it looks pretty cool. Although wont it be hard to spot if you loose it? Mine wont exactly be high visibility either though seeing as it will be mostly black. Keep them coming guys, hopefully we can get a decent variety of fpv multicopters on this thread.

kloner

Aerial DP
My immersion 5.8 600 went 2000 feet before any junk.

What is that layer lens? Is it on a hero1?

Tomstoy2

DJI 450 Flame Wheel quad
Fy91q with nav. system
Scorpion motors from my old 330x
12A esc's, Gaui, from the 330x
9x4.5 APC propellers
RMRC-700xvn fpv camera
Foxtech 500mw 5.8ghz tx
cloverleaf antenna
Futaba r617sf reciever
3s 2200 mah battery
CC 10a bec

Attachments

• P3200003.jpg
    P3200003.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 746

Mactadpole

Really fun to see everyone's FPV copters and a great source of ideas! Keep em' comin'! Here is my updated FPV copter from what you saw in my first post.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1010577.jpg
    P1010577.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 640
  • P1010576.jpg
    P1010576.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 628
  • P1010574.jpg
    P1010574.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 588

kevinv033

@Malcr001 the camo is very cool. I did almost lose it a few times while trying to fly in a wooded area :)

@kloner that's a layerlens from FPVManuals it's saved my gopro lens several times so far!

RCNut

I see your Quad doubles as a table lamp :)

Really fun to see everyone's FPV copters and a great source of ideas! Keep em' comin'! Here is my updated FPV copter from what you saw in my first post.

attachment.php

RCNut

Heres the latest rendition of my DJI Flamewheel.

I recently added an Apache OSD system with GPS, installed the legs, moved the GoPro underneath the frame and fitted a separate FPV camera. I found the GoPro was poor in low light and as its now nearing the end of Daylight Saving Time here, the mornings and afternoons arent as bright as they've been, making it hard to see. With the new camera I can almost fly in the dark (well extreme twilight anyway). I can switch over to the GoPro for FPV prior to any flight by simply swapping plugs.

OSD and GPS seems to work fine (with the latest firmware installed) and no noticeable interference. If youre unfamiliar with the Apache OSD system, the GPS side is only a visual nav system but it gives you range and direction back to base as well as altitude, speed, compass heading, flight timer, main battery voltage and current as well as separate video battery status. Pretty good for the price.

View attachment 3398View attachment 3399View attachment 3400

Ive also just finished my ground station and initial testing seems to show it works well. Hoping to do more range testing over the weekend. It uses an eagletree diversity receiver, two Foxtech RC305 5.8 GHz receivers, an 8dB patch and a home made skew planar antenna all built into a small bucket which sits on the grass beside me. The whole thing runs from a 2200 mAh battery. As I fly off to one side you can hear the eagletree beep as it switches antennas :)

View attachment 3401View attachment 3402

Ian

Attachments

• Quad with GPS.jpg
    Quad with GPS.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 928
  • Quad with GPS Side.jpg
    Quad with GPS Side.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 834
  • Quad with GPS Side 3.jpg
    Quad with GPS Side 3.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 805