Second flight...two problems

JG-rn

In GPS mode, when at 45-55% throttle, the quad once to slowly rise. I didn't notice this the last flight. I'll bring it about 3 feet off the ground at 50% throttle, and it will slowly rise to about 10 feet. Should it not just stay at the same height? If I pull the quad away from its position of hover,it will return back to the original spot. However it's not holding its elevation

Also, first time testing my failsafe. Doesn't work. Hit the failsafe, saw the yellow lights flash on the quad, instead of rising and returning to home, it landed.

I now have the naza assistant so I can go in and make changes.

Please advise

Last edited by a moderator:

JG-rn

IMAG0174-1.jpg

IMAG0176-1.jpg

IMAG0177-1.jpg

IMAG0175-1.jpg

Bowley

In GPS mode, when at 45-55% throttle, the quad once to slowly rise. I didn't notice this the last flight. I'll bring it about 3 feet off the ground at 50% throttle, and it will slowly rise to about 10 feet. Should it not just stay at the same height? If I pull the quad away from its position of hover,it will return back to the original spot. However it's not holding its elevation

Also, first time testing my failsafe. Doesn't work. Hit the failsafe, saw the yellow lights flash on the quad, instead of rising and returning to home, it landed.

I now have the naza assistant so I can go in and make changes.

Please advise

JG, I dont think your vertical gain is high enough, I have mine at about 180 on a 450 quad.
Also there are factors concerning the Naza barometer, light will affect it and also turbulence and variances in air pressure, its a good idea to secure some packing foam over the hole in the case.
I havn't though because I cant find the hole!...Anyone??

JG-rn

JG, I dont think your vertical gain is high enough, I have mine at about 180 on a 450 quad.
Also there are factors concerning the Naza barometer, light will affect it and also turbulence and variances in air pressure, its a good idea to secure some packing foam over the hole in the case.
I havn't though because I cant find the hole!...Anyone??

I didn't set it up. Tony at RC-drones did. I can change anything that needs to be changed. Vertical gain needs to be higher?

also, I put electrical tape over the left and right side of the naza so it would be less sensitive to light.

JG-rn

Just did a search and saw a lot of people run the yaw at 145 and vertical 160.

Should I raise these? What about the atti gains .?

Bowley

seems a little low, but I'm sure it would have been set up right if you got it RTF, just try and increase it a little see if gets any better.
As for the hole I think I recall someone saying he had to make one, (which would explain why I cant find any).
Atti gains should be fine, unless you find the auto level a little too tight, in which case dial it down a little.

olof

Osprey
What kind of Transmitter/Receiver do you have?

When in the Naza assistant, if you shut the transmitter off, does it go into FailSafe mode, and is the trottle moved to 20% or more. This is an important part of the setup. There are lots of videos on how to do this. It is different with different transmitters, and it can take a while to figure out how to set your endpoints in the TX. Dont forget to write after making changes, and keep a backup of your old settings if they work at least reasonable well.

To get the Return to Home, you have to check that in the auto pilot page. And write it to the Naza.

Also don't take off until you have at least 6 satellites locked. See the manual, it explains the different LED color indications.

Also make sure your trims on the TX are at 0 when working with the SW. And when flying unless you want a trim to make the heli move.

I usually take off in Atti mode, after initiating in GPS mode, then climb to 40' or so before switching to GPS again, it seems to hold better if I do that.

And I usually fly in Atti mode it is smoother if using a camera, fpv or recording.

Enjoy! I am glad the Bootcamp chapter is dealt with.

JG-rn

What kind of Transmitter/Receiver do you have?

When in the Naza assistant, if you shut the transmitter off, does it go into FailSafe mode, and is the trottle moved to 20% or more. This is an important part of the setup. There are lots of videos on how to do this. It is different with different transmitters, and it can take a while to figure out how to set your endpoints in the TX. Dont forget to write after making changes, and keep a backup of your old settings if they work at least reasonable well.

To get the Return to Home, you have to check that in the auto pilot page. And write it to the Naza.

Also don't take off until you have at least 6 satellites locked. See the manual, it explains the different LED color indications.

Also make sure your trims on the TX are at 0 when working with the SW. And when flying unless you want a trim to make the heli move.

I usually take off in Atti mode, after initiating in GPS mode, then climb to 40' or so before switching to GPS again, it seems to hold better if I do that.

And I usually fly in Atti mode it is smoother if using a camera, fpv or recording.

Enjoy! I am glad the Bootcamp chapter is dealt with.

Wen I turn the Tx off, no it doesn't go into failsafe mode. When I hit the failsafe switch, under #5 control mode switch it goes into failsafe. The throttle doesn't move.

Im using a Devo 10 Tx and Rx1002

olof

Osprey
OK I would look for a video that explains how to set it up with the Devo. I know how to set up the Futabo, it took a while for me to figure out the menu structure but once you get it it is easy.

Try this search on google:
Devo 10 failsafe Naza setup video

JG-rn

Tony pm'd me back said the prop wash may be making the quad climb a little at low altitude.
Sound right?

waiting to hear back bout the failsafe.

Another thing. I see everyone sets the z value for gps mounting to -10. Mine is set to -9. I measured it and its 9cm above the baseplate. Is -9 the correct value or should I put in -10?

Bowley

Just out of interest, does it act the same in GPS and ATTI modes?

Ground effect will play around with all helis or MR's. I can hover mine at 4ft push it down or up and it immediately return to datum

I think z axis is set to -9

JG-rn

Just out of interest, does it act the same in GPS and ATTI modes?

Ground effect will play around with all helis or MR's. I can hover mine at 4ft push it down or up and it immediately return to datum

I think z axis is set to -9

Im not sure. I can play around with it tomorrow and see what it does.

You think I should bump my vertical gains up a bit?

JG-rn

Oh, another thing too.

Under Tx Monitor, #4 sticks monitor, on my Tx the aux4 knob when turned makes the X1 slider go back and forth.

What exactly does this do?

Bowley

Aux 4 is the gimbal tilt control.
yeah bump vert up, 10 or 20 a time, and see if things get better. If it starts oscillating up and down slowly you've gone too far, and just dial down a little till it stops
leave your basics though.

JG-rn

Aux 4 is the gimbal tilt control.
yeah bump vert up, 10 or 20 a time, and see if things get better. If it starts oscillating up and down slowly you've gone too far, and just dial down a little till it stops
leave your basics though.
Sticks monitor X1 is gimbal tilt control?

Ok I'll try and Adjust the gains

Bowley

Yeah it just reads your input into port X1. you will have a 3 wire lead from your Rx going into port X1 and assigned AUX4 KNOB

Just note of your current settings in case you want to revert, and adjust the vert gain (singular) only if thats all your having problems with

Bowley

I like mine about about 50-60, its fairly loose, if it feels ok to you just leave it, or experiment with it.

Bowley

Vertical gain is the amount of correction applied to maintain altitude hold, to low and it wont hold, too high and it will overcorrect, overshoot and oscillate