Ronin Video at China Red Dragon Event

Tahoe Ed

Very cool video of the Ronin in action with a nice Lambo thrown in.

Last edited by a moderator:

tstrike

pendejo grande
That's what I'm talkin bout! Thanks Ed, mine just showed up today and this is what I'm looking to do. It's really a gorgeous piece of kit, I've only done a quick glance at the parts.
Nice work dji but get busy with the android app already!

tstrike

pendejo grande
Also, note the large rc battery strapped to the rig, not the 250 dollar smart battery. This thing is SOLID! I've handled the Movi's a bunch, they're very light, almost to the point of feeling fragile (even though they're pretty damn rugged). It'd be a workout to try any kind of long handheld shot, but for a small remote head on a jib or car rigs, I think the mass will help. My one concern when I pre ordered was if the motors were torquee enough, this video shows the holding strenghth well (granted they kept it out of the wind and never showed any footage from the front mount they put together). I dig the way they used the arm from a steadicam and took it apart so they had 2 small arms for shock absortion.

Av8Chuck

I'd like to have one but me and my wife did this just messing around and the camera gimbals was a bungee cord and piece of string. Not as good but a lot cheaper. The most expensive piece of kit was the car...

tstrike

pendejo grande
Well, after playing with the ronin I've found a couple things. If you like tweeking the settings in the gui, this one is probably not for you. DJI doesn't give you much to work with, speed and torque is about it.

A bug in the gui has you check a box for briefcase mode, but that disables the mode, uncheck the box and it works (although the stop motors check box works.

The top handle has loose grips that can't be tightened, not crazy loose but enough that you feel a slight bit of play. You really have to horse down on the wedge plate that attaches the gimbal to the handlebar or you get play.

One strange thing that happened (only once and not sure why) was after doing the inverted move to put the camera above the gimbal, it reset all my settings in the gui to factory. The transmitter has also lost signal a couple times while on the bench, I had to shut the unit off and turn it back on.

I also don't always get the percent finished line when I hit auto tune even though the gimbal responds to it.

The balancing is as easy as it gets (granted I haven't balanced a larger camera than my dslr).
All in all so far I'm happy with the ronin, I mean come on, a half hour after unboxing I had a set ready tuned gimbal, try that with some of the other bg's.

Edit: This is me running the assistant on a windows laptop, I haven't loaded the assist on a mac device yet. Android soon dji?

kloner

Aerial DP
is this and movi on par with each other with the raw product coming out? what version movi do you have?

tstrike

pendejo grande
is this and movi on par with each other with the raw product coming out? what version movi do you have?
I don't own a movi, but there's a few in town that show up on set. Like I said, if you like tweeking, the ronin only gives you a few parameters to mess with, which in most cases
is probably a good thing for most. I've got a couple weeks off now and going to be doing a few show and tells, I'll also try and get it over to the production house that'll actually let me do some side by side with a m10.
The one thing I do know is if you were asked to take the BG challenge and drop one on your head, choose the m10, the ronin would crack bone it's so heavy...

Av8Chuck

I was looking at one and it is extremely heavy for what it does. When we used to develop software for film effects the challenge wasn't to be able to compete with a million dollar Flame, the real challenge was could you do the same quality effect on a much lesser computer for a third of the cost.

I'm not sure the M10 is what everyone wants at the moment but I don't think the Ronin is the answer. First off its a DJI product, secondly I think the gimbal controllers are already improving to the point where auto tune and follow-me etc., will become a game changer to people wanting to develop quality gimbals that are much lighter and cost effective.