Robin Laser Scanner.

Area21

Area21
I am working with colleagues to move in to Laser Scanning possibly using a Robin scanner. This unit can be carried on a back pack for ground scanning or a vehicle or aerial. Have been to a workshop and the suppliers state the weight will be around 7 kg. My SkyJib X4 TiQR lifts 3 kg easily and will lift 5 kg but with reduced flight times. Can you advise me on a suitable UAV to carry one of these Robin scanners 7kg weight. Already contacted Aeronavics in NZ.

http://www.3dlasermapping.com/robin/

Kind Regards - Adrian.

Freefly alta looks like it would do it but its a pricey drone. You are at the upper limit of a DJI S1000. Foxtechfpv makes some heavy lift drones that would do it, Kracken and the D130. You should look for ways to strip weight from the scanner while remaining functional.

Area21

Area21
Many thanks Jason. Did you look at the promotional video on their link and the guy catching and holding the aircraft then letting it take off from his hands ! To me this was not a good promotional video as it demonstrates dangerous practice.

Av8Chuck

Hi Adrian,

We have been lifting heavy and expensive payloads for the past three years. We started trying to use off the shelf drones, but they were far too unreliable and could not easily customize them into the purpose built solutions we needed so we started designing and manufacturing our own. We have engineered out 90% of Chinese components.

We have only recently begun selling these drones commercially to local Civil Engineering firms willing to work with us to refine our products. The key there is having first hand knowledge of what is or isn't working and making improvements almost on the spot.

Just wanted to let you know that there are alternatives, and I'm sure we're not the only ones, who are coming out with real industrial grade drones.

We developed and manufacture our own flight controllers that use the same methodology for flight control across all platforms. We have six multirotor models that are modular and can lift from 12 pounds AUW to 48 pounds AUW.

_D6A5335-Edit.jpg
This Y6 lifts 36 pounds AUW. With the payload shown here we can add 44,000 MAh for a flight time of ~40+ minutes.

_D6A5329-Edit.jpg
You can also switch out the booms and motors with the smaller motors and props with less battery and still fly 20+ minutes.

_D6A5327.jpg

These booms are plug-n-play so you can configure the drone that's the best fit for the mission.

_D6A5312.jpg
So here it is configured to carry 18 pounds AUW

_D6A5339.jpg

And configured to carry 36 pounds AUW.

We have the same setup for Quad and X8.

Attachments

• _D6A5335-Edit.jpg
    _D6A5335-Edit.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 635
  • _D6A5329-Edit.jpg
    _D6A5329-Edit.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 281