Question about payloads

When you talk about how much payload a MR will lift are the batterys usually included in that number? For instance, if someone says a MR will handle a 3kg payload is that the gimbal and camera only or is it the gimbal, camera and batterys? I have been having a hard time finding the max payload for my current build but then it occured to me why would a company provide that info when there are so many variables with motors, props etc that would open them up to criticizism if their MR didnt live up to their claims.

The second part of my question is on prop thrust. When a motor/prop combo says it will put out a certain amount of thrust (usually in kg) is that the same as saying how much that would equate to in lift. In other words if a motor/prop combo lists 1 kg of thrust and its a quad copter would that mean it would lift 4 kg? I realize thats an overly simplistic example due to many other variables.

Old Man

For our purposes lift and thrust equate to the same thing. We don't have an aerodynamic body to generate lift so all lift is derived from thrust.

Payload, often called useful load, normally covers everything an aircraft can carry additional to its "dry" weight. So payload is inclusive of fuel and anything additional for video recording, control, and transmissions. For us "fuel" is battery and increases in battery size/weight above a base standard make a reduction in payload, similar to adding long range fuel tanks on a full scale. Gimbal, camera, batteries for camera and gimbal, video transmitters, FPV cameras, are all part of payload. If non folding landing gear are used for establishing payload, a change to retractable gear, usually heavier than fixed, will be a reduction in payload.