Puffy Lipo...

Hey guys, I run 2, 2S Lipos on my Hexa in series for power. I have a couple different sets of batteries that I use some are Turnigy, some ThunderPower. After a flight today with 2 2S 5000mah Thunderpowers I noticed one was pretty puffy. I did not notice if it was puffy before the flight but It had to have happened recently because they've been fine. Any ideas what could have caused it? I've only ever balance charged these 2 lipos together on my ICharger. They've only ever flown as a pair, why would one be puffy and the other not? We were just about to order a new supply of Lipos and we were going to go Thunderpower because before now I always had a little more piece of mind with them over the Turnigy. I should say though that the turnigy have always done fine by me but they're obviously lesser quality. No I'm reconsidering if the TP are going bad on me.

Should I be flying with this Lipos?

Macsgrafs

I fly puffy lipos on my trex600 cam ship, I've abused them for years, the trouble is 20c packs just dont last!!!! Its easier with a heli, if they fail in flight we just auto the old girl in, but not the sort of thing you can do with a MR aircraft, so maybe my advice is NO, dont use it.

Ross

Uh that sucks guys but thanks for the replies. I guess I'll have to retire it. Anybody got any ideas on causes so I can extend the lives the next batch of lipos? Should I not balance charge them together? Yesteday was a little hot, wondering that had anything to do with it. I just don't understand how one is fine and the other one is pretty puffy.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
RHP,
can you post a pic please? I think my TP's are puffing too but I'm not sure. They sort of feel like the packaging is inflated.
Thx
BC

Bart I have to step out but I will when I get back. The one lipo is no doubt puffy. Just looking at them side by side on the table you can tell, and the feel is much more squishy then the the other which is basically solid.

Don't know if you can tell but the Left lipo is considerably puffier than the right one. They are 20C lipos, should I go with 25C next time? I have had them for a while but was hoping to get a lot more use out of them than this.

Attachments

• Puffy Lipo 001.jpg
    Puffy Lipo 001.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 298
Last edited by a moderator:

mailman35

i just killed the transmitter lipo i had, i left the radio on, and forgot about it, i went to go fly this afternoon and saw that i had left it on.
i get home and pull the lipo out of the radio and squeaze it, and its all squishy sounding.
so i cut off all the connectors and tossed it in a bucket of salt water, total voltage i was getting off the pack was 3.3 - 3.7v

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Yeah, that battery doesnt look taht bad but I think when it gets squishy you need to properly dispose of it. Or mail it back to Hobby King and let them deal with it......even if you didnt buy it from them. :)