PRODUCT REVIEW: Think Tank Photo Airport Helipack

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
PRODUCT REVIEW:
Think Tank Photo Airport Helipack

There are two hobbies that I have always wanted to be able to experience together, motorcycle riding and multirotors. So imagine my surprise when a DJI Phantom-specific backpack, made by the fine folks at ThinkTankPhoto.com, showed up on the doorstep providing a clear path to making that a reality.

It took me seconds to tear into the bag, whip out the Phantom, and see how it all fit together. I have seen a few multirotor specific bags on the Internet, and while I have never owned one, it is high time that I am able to get more mobile with one of my rigs, in a safe and protective fashion. If you have ever fancied a portable solution to multirotor protection, you have probably come across the hard cases, typically similar to (if not actually rebranded) Pelican Cases, with some custom cut foam. These are most often made for the DJI Phantom, and it’s no wonder, considering the sales rate of that “drone.” But the issues I’ve always had with the hard cases is A) price, and B) that they seem to be bulky. They appear to be great on protection, less so on portability. Hard cases seem unnecessarily bulky to me, considering some decent foam can usually provide adequate daily protection…. just like a good camera bag… Hey wait!

Enter Think Tank Photo. They make all manner of camera bags, and they have entered the multirotor market with what looks to me to be a winner. I have several camera bags for my various still and video rigs, and the biggest challenge is always finding a bag with enough room for everything, but with padding for nothing to move. Here the company has read my mind and offered a way to carry all things Phantom, as well as the kitchen sink.

With the “Airport Heliport Backpack,” it seems Think Tank Photo has nailed it on the head. The name seems to derive from the fact that it resembles a travel carry-on bag, and is designed to fit most overhead compartments (I have been on some puddle jumpers where this may not fit). Real-World measurements are approximately: 20" x 14" x 11". Despite looking like a carry-on piece of luggage from the front, once you spin it around you’ll notice that it is equipped with breathable backpack straps, including a cross brace that will save your lower bag on longer treks. The straps proved comfortable and a higher grade than is often found on standard (read cheaper) camera bags, which I find are solely focused on the gear inside, and not on my comfort.

Internally, the bag is designed like a typical camera bag, with semi-rigid foam inserts, complete with Velcro to customize it to your liking. The ability to tailor it to your own needs is simple. This is another feature that sets it apart from most hard cases, which often come with cut foam, making it more difficult to alter. I was able to quickly and securely place the Phantom in the bag with the inserts arranged as shipped. After moving a single foam “divider,” I was able to get the transmitter in there nice and snug, without having to remove the tablet holder (huge bonus!).

Plenty of extra room for batteries, tools, extra batteries, propellers, FPV monitor…and some more batteries. The inside of the lid offers 3 zipper compartments made of mesh for quickly grabbing bit and pieces. I chose to place the props in there. In addition to all that, there is a front pocket that zips open halfway, which exposes a separate compartment designed for a laptop, pens, notebooks, etc. The half zipper ensures none of the contents will spill to the floor.

The bag has so much room, I felt a little inadequate packing it up. In fact, I think I can fit more in this bag than I have for the Phantom, but still keeping the contents nice and tight. Might be time for some more batteries. The final touch was the included rain cover, which comes in a nice compact carry case, and will be a welcomed addition if caught out in the rain.

I checked, and it seems that the Airport Helipack will fit any model in the Phantom line.

Next up, packing this up and strapping it to the back of the bike to head out to the backwoods of Vermont. That is, if the weather ever decides to cooperate!

If you are in the market for the secure, protective way to go mobile with your Phantom, the Airport Helipack is definitely work a look. Thanks so much to the folks over at Think Tank Photo for making this review possible.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Nice review, and nice motorcycle. I miss my bikes.. someday when the kids are older I hope...

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks Sleepy! It's a cool bag for anyone wanting super-easy transport with a sense of security for this expensive gear.

The bike is ugly - or at least odd looking, but man! It's fun to ride. Comfortable also. I did many trips from Brooklyn to Vermont up Route 95 (arguably the most miserable road in the States!) before the move, and even after 7 hours it was still fun riding.

I've met many a man who echoes your sentiment. Bikes are for after the kids leave home :)

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Great review Scott and nice photos! No excuse to miss NEAT Fair this year!

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
That's exactly what I was thinking!!!! It would have been so easy to slap this on the back of the bike for that trip. And the inclusion of a rain cover would have been absolutely necessary last year!!!! Wow, that was some hard rain., especially at 70mph. :)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I can't see that being totally out of the question - just purely based on the number of different bags they have in their catalog. Shoot them an email, you never know.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
It really does - and safe to boot! As mentioned in the review, I live the idea of a pelican case (actually, I just love pelican cases...), but it would be overkill for a quick jaunt in the car or even on the bike.

This case would even make sense for a plane trip, but you'd want to be sure the plane overhead compartments could handle the size - not risking getting stuck with gate checked bags. Vermont to JFK on JetBlue comes to mind....

I also like the customizable nature of camera-style bags. This bag could fit a decent size camera and lenses, if you left out the last 3 batteries I mention in the review :)

econfly

Nice point. You could easily put a camera in there and have a great portable photo setup for easy travel. My current favorite grab-and-go option is the Panasonic LX-100 and it would fit in there easily. Given the space and flexibility maybe even a GH4 could fit.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
No doubt about it. There is PLENTY of room in this thing. I'm working out where to put the coffee maker, cups, a small table, chairs....

Pumpkinguy

Good review. We need more like this here. Not a cheap bag by any means but no more than an equal sized pelican and I can see why in some applications this would be better than a hard case. It definitely has more internal space than theequivalent sized pelican.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Thanks PG.

This really is a nice, flexible option. It would be nice to see them branch out into other models, or generic shapes/sizes for MRs somehow.

Nice quality for sure.