Product Review *** Teradek Bolt Pro 2000 and Teradek Clip

The Teradek Bolt Pro 2000 and Teradek Clip - quick review and comparison

by Benjamin Rowland, Yonder Blue Films

View attachment 17407
View attachment 17408

Bart of MultiRotorForums.com, along with Michael Gailing of Teradek, gave me the opportunity to review the Teradek Bolt Pro 2000 and Teradek Clip to see how they fit into the world of low-altitude HD aerial video. Both products are used for transmitting HD video wirelessly and since they are lightweight, they can be used on multi-rotor helicopters, like the one pictured below.

View attachment 17409

If you’re the type of person that skims through reviews, I’ll let it be known right up front that both of these products are top quality and that Teradek is a company with great customer service and a strong, long-standing reputation in the industry.

If you’re already familiar with these two products, you know that they come in at two very different price points. The Bolt Pro 2000 sells for $7,990 USD ($8,340 as tested in this review). The Clip sells for $599. The reason for the difference in price comes down to features and each of these devices is targeted at a different type of customer. In my opinion, and I think Teradek would agree, the Clip is targeted at hobbyists while the Bolt Pro 2000 is targeted at the working professional (with 15+ years in TV and a passion for flying, I fall into both categories). The feature sets of each are definitely appropriate to each type of customer. Now that’s not to say that the Clip can’t be used on a professional film set as prosumer gear shows up on film sets all the time with the GoPro Hero cameras as a great example.

View attachment 17410

The Clip is the lighter and smaller of the two (66x49x17mm and less than 2 ounces) and could be used on a fairly small multi-rotor. The Clip can take video from your camera via HDMI, compress it using H.264 compression, and then send that HD video wirelessly to your iPad. How new your iPad is will determine the max resolution and bitrate that can be received. An iPad4 tops out at 720p at 3.0Mbps according to their website. I haven’t tested the iPad functionality yet, as I don’t currently own an iPad but as I understand it, you can download a free app for your iPad that will allow you to control the Clip, change settings, and receive the HD video signal. I asked Michael of Teradek if there were other options for receiving the video signal that would allow me to view it on a field monitor because we use a range of monitors in the field, from 7 inch to 21 inch, depending on the shoot. He recommended their Cube 455 decoder (pictured below). This is basically a receiver that can decode that H.264 stream and send it out via HDMI to your monitor. Teradek’s Cube series has a ton of uses, but that’s outside the scope of this review so the question remains, does it work? Yes it does.

View attachment 17411

The Clip uses WiFi to transmit it’s signal so out of the box it can transmit that signal up to 300 feet. If you need more range than that, you can add a router (or routers) that can boost the range substantially. Here’s a video from Teradek that details how that can be done using a router from Ubiquiti.

Based on some quick research, it looks as though the Ubiquiti system they’re recommending could be ordered from Amazon for roughly $250 (router and antenna). For someone needing more than 300 feet of range, this would be a reasonable add-on. Teradek has plans to release their own range extending product as well.

Pairing the Clip with the Cube decoder wasn’t difficult. Teradek has setup videos that make it easy to follow along and get your product up and running. It wasn’t one of those situations where I could just pull it out of the box and it works, but watching the set-up videos made the steps involved go smoothly so it worked as advertised the first time. It basically involves setting up a WiFi network for the two devices to communicate on. The devices each have an IP address that is entered into your computer’s browser which launches the interface for making changes to settings on the devices. Now the Bolt Pro 2000 is pretty different in this regard.

On a professional film set, time is of the essence, and that is where the Bolt Pro 2000 shines (I will abbreviate as BP2000). You pull the BP2000 out of its custom cut Pelican case and it’s obvious that it is built to take the abuse that equipment can be subjected to “on set”. Despite their tough metal casings, the transmitter and receiver are both fairly lightweight (TX: 249g RX: 476g). The size would make this system right at home on a rig built to fly a GH3 or larger (TX: 4.3” x 2.6” x 1.0”). Currently, the BP2000 has only an SDI connector, but Teradek has plans to release an HDMI system. But back to the issue of “time” as that’s the critical thing with this system. Plug in power to the BP2000 TX and RX and you’re up and running. No waiting, no set-up, no instructions necessary – give it power and it just works; you’re getting beautiful, wireless, uncompressed HD video right out of the camera with no waiting! Since the HD signal isn’t compressed, this system could work in a live broadcast. So that’s one important point where the BP2000 and the Clip differ, the Clip uses H.264 compression, and the BP2000 is uncompressed (meaning what you see from your camera’s SDI or HDMI port is what’s transmitted).

View attachment 17412

Without needing to compress the video signal the BP2000 offers a very important advantage over the Clip: almost zero latency. Since the Clip has to compress the video signal at the transmitter and then decode it at the receiver, there’s a small delay. This latency experienced with the Clip doesn’t exclude it from professional use, but it could bring some limitations. Say you wanted to use the system on a typical ground based shoot with a focus puller, the latency introduced would make it pretty much impossible to pull focus using the Clip. The Bolt Pro 2000, on the other hand, with almost zero latency enables the user to pull focus and to use the signal as an FPV feed for the camera operator. And right out of the box the Bolt Pro 2000 has over 2,000 feet of range, hence the name. Here’s a video from Teradek showing off the long range capability of the BP2000.

For all of the products, there are plenty of ways to power them but one feature I found convenient about the BP2000 was the optional battery mount. I chose to test it with the Anton Bauer mount since I own a couple of those batteries, and they worked as expected. These batteries are commonly used to power professional cameras, monitors, and lights.

Clearly, the Bolt Pro 2000 would be right at home in your typical production environment and while the price may seem high at first, it’s actually priced much lower than products in its class while being smaller and lighter. I was describing the system to crew members in the camera department on a recent shoot for a car commercial and their eyes got big as their jaws dropped…..the features of the Bolt Pro 2000 make this a stand-out product in the production industry.

As I said in the beginning, these are both high quality products intended for two different markets but with some overlap in features and utility. This review should help you to decide which of the two systems is right for you but there’s plenty more information on Teradek’s website. Due to some rough winter weather here in Georgia, my experience with these systems was limited but Teradek mentioned that they might be able to send a Bolt Pro 2000 for a more long-term review this Spring. I hope that’s the case as I’m a big fan of the system and I can envision plenty of uses for it both in the air and on the ground. Keep an eye out for more exciting product announcements from Teradek in early April during NAB. I’m betting they’ll have more up their sleeve for our industry - exciting times! (See update below.)

Note: This is an unbiased review. I didn’t receive any compensation from Teradek for this review. All that said, after reviewing their products, I’m a fan.

UPDATE: Teradek just announced updates for the Bolt series. It's now smaller, lighter, and combines HDMI and SDI on one system. They've also added a some other features that could be very useful. Head over to their site for NAB 2014 product announcements.

Attachments

• bolt_2k_mounting.jpg
    bolt_2k_mounting.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 585
  • clip_sizes.jpg
    clip_sizes.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 533
  • 964322_232816763508856_1504191223_o.jpg
    964322_232816763508856_1504191223_o.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 521
  • Clip.jpg
    Clip.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 557
  • teradek_cube_455_cube_455_hdmi_decoder_896944.jpg
    teradek_cube_455_cube_455_hdmi_decoder_896944.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 475
  • BoltPro_2000.jpg
    BoltPro_2000.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 1,254
Last edited by a moderator:

Warmupper

Compare it with the Sky Link from Amimon.
Latency under 1ms.
Long range test up to 2000ft uncompressed 10Bit
https://vimeo.com/78979363

Latency tested in real live broadcast. We measured the latency
in live RF Signal in the outside broadcasting van, after sync and colour corrector it was 1 frame

You can consider the Bolt products to be pretty much instantaneous. You may see about a frame of latency when running it through several other tools that have to pass the signal along.

Clip seems to have about 4 or 5 frames of latency. The compression / decompression is the reason as far as I understand.

Compare it with the Sky Link from Amimon.
Latency under 1ms.
Long range test up to 2000ft uncompressed 10Bit
https://vimeo.com/78979363

Latency tested in real live broadcast. We measured the latency
in live RF Signal in the outside broadcasting van, after sync and colour corrector it was 1 frame

We use Amimon chips inside of Bolt Pro 2000. However, we developed on top of the board and add dual inputs on the TX (HDMI and 3G-SDI), HDMI & 3G-SDI outputs on the RX (or USB 3.0 out if thats what you need), and we've added an LCD for pairing additional receivers and checking your link status.

econfly

The Teradek Bolt Pro 2000 and Teradek Clip - quick review and comparison

by Benjamin Rowland, Yonder Blue Films

Great review!

We use Amimon chips inside of Bolt Pro 2000. However, we developed on top of the board and add dual inputs on the TX (HDMI and 3G-SDI), HDMI & 3G-SDI outputs on the RX (or USB 3.0 out if thats what you need), and we've added an LCD for pairing additional receivers and checking your link status.

I would love a Bolt Pro 2000, but cost is a factor for hobby use. The range of the Clip on a multirotor is a problem that is hard to solve.

So, how about a little more market segmentation? Take the range of the Bolt Pro 2000, and, say, a limit of HDMI in/out only (no SDI) and 720p on the receiving end. Basically, produce a system that doesn't provide all of the broadcast/recording capability of the Bolt Pro 2000, but does give us range and a clear image for framing shots or for FPV use. Price it under $2K (I'm thinking about competition from DJI's Lightbridge) and make sure we won't have any interference issues with 2.4Ghz radios. I would buy it.

Great review!

I would love a Bolt Pro 2000, but cost is a factor for hobby use. The range of the Clip on a multirotor is a problem that is hard to solve.

So, how about a little more market segmentation? Take the range of the Bolt Pro 2000, and, say, a limit of HDMI in/out only (no SDI) and 720p on the receiving end. Basically, produce a system that doesn't provide all of the broadcast/recording capability of the Bolt Pro 2000, but does give us range and a clear image for framing shots or for FPV use. Price it under $2K (I'm thinking about competition from DJI's Lightbridge) and make sure we won't have any interference issues with 2.4Ghz radios. I would buy it.

Thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything we can do about bringing our 2000ft 5GHz transmitter down to that price level. We came out with Clip largely because we felt it was the best way to bring long range HD transmission to the masses at a fraction of the cost of comparable RF systems. Granted the range is not built into the unit, but there are several add ons that can help you expand that. Check out this recent post about a WiFi extender used w/ Clip: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2146601

We're not fans of anything that operates solely on the 2.4GHz band. We quickly found out years ago that you'll never achieve good performance if you're anywhere near a city or even the suburbs. There is just too much interference on that band!

econfly

Thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything we can do about bringing our 2000ft 5GHz transmitter down to that price level. We came out with Clip largely because we felt it was the best way to bring long range HD transmission to the masses at a fraction of the cost of comparable RF systems. Granted the range is not built into the unit, but there are several add ons that can help you expand that. Check out this recent post about a WiFi extender used w/ Clip: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2146601

We're not fans of anything that operates solely on the 2.4GHz band. We quickly found out years ago that you'll never achieve good performance if you're anywhere near a city or even the suburbs. There is just too much interference on that band!

Thanks for the reply. I'll check into the range extender options. There clearly is a growing demand for wireless HD video, and it will be interesting to see how things progress in this market.

Warmupper

Nice to have the option between HDMI and SDI. Thx

Nice to have the option between HDMI and SDI. Thx

Yes, that is really nice to have the option. There are cameras out there that only have one or the other, and you want a system that can cover both HDMI and SDI. So it's great that they've added that to this package. You can see the HDMI and SDI connectors in the photo below of their new TX.

View attachment 17562

Attachments

• new_bolt_hdmi_sdi-bbr.jpg
    new_bolt_hdmi_sdi-bbr.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 355