Product Review ** CineTank MK I by Flying Cinema

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Review: Flying Cinema CineTank MK. I Frame Kit
By MotoPreserve

Whether you are new to the hobby or you flew at the National Aeromodeling Championships in 1937, many of you will begin your multirotor (MR) build by choosing a frame. The choices are endless and to the uninitiated, the options can be daunting. Among the various multirotor-flying formats, quads often make the most sense. If you're just starting out quads are simpler, less expensive and easier to manage. For more experienced pilots; having a machine with fewer motors, props and less hassle may allow them to think less and simply have more fun.

But with so many quad frame designs out there, how do you choose?

Decisions...Decisions

Most quads fall into two main categories. The most common is designed with a central set of frame plates, arms/booms extending symmetrically from the center, with electronics placement limited to vertical stacking. The second style, gaining popularity in the past few years, is known as the H-Quad (or FPV) frame. These designs are most often asymmetrical (motors not equidistant from the center of the frame), built around a stack of elongated plates stretching fore and aft, allowing more room for extra electronic equipment such as an FPV camera, video transmitter, antennas and extra batteries. Issues have arisen with asymmetrical configurations, with reports of some flight controllers (FC) having a hard time making fine adjustments to the motors.

That’s where the symmetrical H-Quad frame comes in.

Florida RC start-up Flying Cinema has hit the ground running with their first offering, a symmetrical H-Quad frame kit called the CineTank MK. I. Designed and manufactured in-house, the typical attributes that attract people to the H-Quad format are present, but it utilizes symmetrical motor spacing (423mm diagonally motor to motor) minimizing impact on the FC, making the CineTank an interesting new addition to the market.

I had been looking to get into FPV and amateur aerial video, searching long and hard for an H-Quad frame that fit all my requirements. There are many choices, with one key factor being price. With many options costing under $50, why would I pay $179 USD (free shipping included) for a frame? The more research I did, the more I found myself coming back to the CineTank, eventually realizing quality design and positive customer feedback was what I’d be paying for. Initial flight reports insisted it lived up to its [tank] name, with numerous customer crash videos showing the CineTank smacking the ground hard – only to be picked up and flown again. My ability to find the ground in 1000 feet of clear sky was making this frame more and more attractive.

Features

The CineTank has some appealing and unique design features; symmetrical layout, motor spacing which eliminates props in camera view, plates cut with a honeycombed template minimizing mass while maximizing strength, a new take on the clean/dirty plate design (to minimize jello) with travel-stops (to prevent damage to the dampeners), side plates coupled with stand-offs for strength, and an adjustable front camera mount with adjusting slots for securing various cameras. Adding to the appeal was the owners/designers seemingly constant presence on the forums, providing quick customer service, feedback and advice utilizing the online community. When I discovered Flying Cinema manufacturers most of the parts themselves right here in the good ol’ U.S. of A, a decision was made… I pulled the trigger, ordered the CineTank and impatiently awaited delivery.

The CineTank package arrived on my doorstep 3 days later, everything neatly packed into a long, thin box. Upon opening the box you find a complete frame kit tucked into a roll of interconnected, individually sealed vacuum pack compartments. When I let it unravel toward the floor, I felt like the huckster at a carnival, hawking wares. “Watches, fake IDs, how ‘bout a ring for the little lady? What ya’ need, I got it!” I was getting excited about this build.

I spread out the packaging on the workbench to get a good look at the contents. It was comforting to see all the bits protected in simple, easy to access containers. Someone was meticulous when putting this packaging together…

Examining the components reveals the design characteristics of the frame. Included are four CNC honeycombed glass fiber frame plates (two shorter plates for the dirty section, two longer for the clean), carbon-fiber booms, motor/boom mounts (identical), landing gear, nylon stand-offs, dampeners and stainless steel hardware. The included Wera Hex driver, which is the only tool needed to complete the build, was a nice touch. Grab a razor blade and open up the first compartment, it’s time to get this quad built!

Flying Cinema is currently editing a build-video to accompany the CineTank, but as an early adopter, I was relegated to the 3D blow-up diagrams provided on the website. Augmenting the schematics, enthusiastic customers on the forums have supplied detailed build-threads. Confidence in a smooth build was further boosted by the fact that prior to the purchase and after it arrived; it never took longer than a couple hours to hear back from one of the owners answering any questions I had.

Getting Started...Dirty Section

Following an online step-by-step build thread, I quickly had the 260mm long dirty section assembled. This is where the frame derives its strength. Housed between the dirty plates resides the boom mounts, and is the perfect place to tuck away ESCs with the included “cine coin” (a small, sturdy copper buss plate, eliminating the need for a squid or power distribution board). When you first see the plates, various holes and slots seem to be cut into the plates simply to reduce weight, but now reveal themselves as strategically placed, utilitarian features to help secure electronics. For example, there are slots that fit the side plate tabs with an extra bit of room to slip in a zip-tie for securing the ESCs. A simple but well thought out feature. Also, all plates have drilled holes allowing the Wera Hex driver to access bolts layers deep – by providing this access, parts can be removed without complete disassembly. The care and forethought that went into this design is obvious.

One complaint I had about the dirty section design is the use of small 3d printed landing gear (LG) “pads” that attach to the bottom of the frame. With hex-shaped indents, they function as nut holders for the boom mounts, eliminating the need for a wrench. My concern was that the nuts might strip the plastic, which proved to be true. In fairness, this only occurred with one of the sixteen indents, which was quickly fixed by replacing the pad with one of the included spares. Although my CineTank shipped with the first run of this 3D printed LG, I have been assured that a molded version will be shipping soon, which will eliminate this issue completely. Ultimately, I would have preferred a different type of LG altogether, possibly with more lift from the ground. Flying Cinema has recognized this as well, and is currently developing an option for taller LG.

Motor/Mounts

Dirty section finished, it was time to get the booms, motor mounts and motors assembled. For clarification, the eight molded mounts used for both motor and boom are made up of sixteen identical pieces, each mount comprised of two pieces acting as a clamping mechanism. When used as a motor mount, the motors screw directly into the top, eliminating the need for the typical x-brace. The carbon-fiber booms offer perfect routing for wires, and the mounts are designed to allow free access for motor and ESC wires to meet inside the frame. Another key feature are “pegs” on the mounts that line up with pre-drilled holes in the booms. Theoretically, this offers perfect alignment and level mount for the motors. One concern: if the motors end up slightly uneven, adjustment would require disassembly and modification to the mounts. Fortunately my mounts required no such adjustment, a testament to manufacturing quality control.

Clean Section

Finally it was time for the clean section assembly. Early online posts complained of difficulty with installing the 8 silicon dampeners, which provide isolation of motor vibrations between the dirty and clean sections. Luckily one builder posted a video with a simple trick to get it done without hassle. The offset between the dirty and clean sections is about 10mm, a space that can be utilized for cable routing, keeping the overall build neat and organized. With the lower clean plate resting on the installed dampeners, it’s time to get the main electronic components in place. At approximately 330mm long by 30mm tall with a top plate for protection, the clean section offers much appreciated spaciousness. Using a multi-part FC (separate I/O) for this build, I absolutely needed the room. The recommended uses for this inner clean section are for the FC, battery (which can be adjusted to balance center of gravity), and any other fragile electronic gear, with the top-most plate offering protection for critical components.

Summary...

Now complete, the total build time was just a couple hours. With so many options for placement, I have quickly and easily rearranged the electronics several times, a simple task due to the well-placed slots and holes in the plates.

For me, one of the most appealing aspects to dealing with a small company like Flying Cinema is the fact that the core teams are not only designers, but also personally test fly the products. With over 200 test-flights and five design revisions under their belt, this frame had been put through its paces before ever hitting the market. Flying Cinema also has a detailed list of compatible components on their website, all tested and reported with real-world results. Choosing the parts for this build can be as easy as following their shopping list, complete with links to suppliers.

Fully assembled, the frame weighs in at approximately 450g. Not the lightest frame, but not bad for the strength and abuse it can withstand. With electronics installed, my CineTank comes in at 1680 grams including the 4S 4200mah battery. The suggested SunnySky V2216 1250Kv motors are spinning 8” or 9” props. Flying Cinema has sample settings for 6 FCs, offering a comfortable starting point for those who want to follow the suggested component list.

Overall, I am extremely happy with the fit and finish of the Flying Cinema CineTank. Most importantly, the more time I spend with it – the more I grow to appreciate the level of thought and care that went into the design of this frame. The few minor complaints I had are overshadowed by a great base platform with which to fly FPV/Aerial Video in stock form, and endless room for modifications to get creative in the future. With distributors in North America, Europe and Australia, it looks like the CineTank is going to be getting some much-deserved exposure. Flying Cinema has imminent plans for releasing several new products and options including: brushless gimbal, taller landing gear, longer booms for bigger props, mini-quad frame and a hexacopter frame. The rest is hush-hush…

More Info:

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Don't go speechless! Your talk and support on the forums was one of the things that attracted me to this frame to begin with! :)

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Ahhh.... so this is your next build. Are you using the SuperX on this one?

Yep. Superx is installed and I'm testing/tweaking now (weather has been so what uncooperative). This week is supposed to turn downright pleasant and I've just found a new field to fly in...so stay tuned!

As far as I know - I'm the first to try this FC on this frame. So far looking pretty good.

SoCal Blur

Yep. Superx is installed and I'm testing/tweaking now (weather has been so what uncooperative). This week is supposed to turn downright pleasant and I've just found a new field to fly in...so stay tuned!

As far as I know - I'm the first to try this FC on this frame. So far looking pretty good.

Good deal, please keep us posted. I was looking at the CineTank as a possible "recreational" quad... although I think I would put a gimbal on the front rather than just bolting it directly to the frame. I wonder why they decided to go with fiber/glass as opposed to just CF? Was it strictly cost or something else?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
I'm in the process of rigging up a typical gimbal mount as we speak. It will hang off the end - but it should allow me to mess with the RTF cheapie gimbal I have already... for now :)

i think the choice of glass is both cost and the RF issues that CF can introduce to FPV - since this frame is most often used for that purpose. Just a guess. The booms being CF definitely help the strength there, but the multiple layers and hardware provide enough in the body without incurring the cost.

SoCal Blur

Makes sense... although you could probably avoid most RF issues by moving the antenna underneath the body pointng down... of course then you need taller landing gear... yup, glass it is :highly_amused:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Makes sense... although you could probably avoid most RF issues by moving the antenna underneath the body pointng down... of course then you need taller landing gear... yup, glass it is :highly_amused:

I made some makeshift taller LG yesterday - just need to figure out a better way to secure it to the bottom plate. Probably wait to install it until I rip the whole thing apart to reorganize it. By that point the Flying Cinema boys may have their new LG available.

SoCal Blur

So have you retired your Chopstick-Bucket handle quad in favor of the CineTank or is the "tank" just an addition to your growing fleet?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
So have you retired your Chopstick-Bucket handle quad in favor of the CineTank or is the "tank" just an addition to your growing fleet?

I was waiting for this cinetank to get functional - and now that it is I'm going to swap motors on the chopstick quad and see if I can lighten it up a bit. It was heavy to begin with - but messing with the gimbal required almost 75% throttle to hover. Not good.

SoCal Blur

I was waiting for this cinetank to get functional - and now that it is I'm going to swap motors on the chopstick quad and see if I can lighten it up a bit. It was heavy to begin with - but messing with the gimbal required almost 75% throttle to hover. Not good.

When can we expect to see video of the "tank" in action?

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
When can we expect to see video of the "tank" in action?

I was focused on this review - but I need to start a dedicated build thread. Should have some video as soon as I get my replacement antenna for my futaba RX. Snipped off a little from the one side (diversity style). Ugh!

heres a little teaser from tuning session - nothing sexy, just driveway stuff.

SoCal Blur

Very Nice!

Question: I noticed that you mounted the battery on the top plate. In the Promo video it looked like they mounted the battery on the middle/bottom plate. Seems like it would be better to get the battery closer to the CG with regard to flight characteristics, no?

Also, since I've only used multiwii - does the SuperX use PID or Gains? If Gains, do you find it easier to tune?

PS. You're getting pretty good at this flying thing! :bee:

jbrumberg

I was going to ask if you flew today with all the wind from this storm system, but then I saw the date of the video. Nice driveway flying. Good stuff Scott.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
SoCal: placement of just about everything is temporary until I decide where I want stuff to go. And I've determined that I'm changing EVERYTHING around :). The battery will be in the inner clean compartment when it's finalized, but I need the gimbal up front to offset the weight (fore and aft).

The tuning on the SuperX vs the Multiwii is that SuperX is simple gains (pitch, roll & yaw) in software, and then an overall tweak via rotary aux while in flight. It's not PID separately. This should simplify things, but of course I've gone the wrong way around, and now find myself missing the fine tuning (read difficult!) of PID. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it once I get out of this damn driveway. Too limited, and snipped the RX antenna yesterday on some hedge branches. I've only got about 15 feet laterally to work with.

Jay: almost thought of heading out today to try the single antenna on the RX until I stood in the 22mph winds gusting higher. No dice. Playing it safe, and probably better to wait for the replacement antennas anyway - which should be here soon. Weather is supposed to be nice on Saturday - and I've got a new field to explore just blocks from my house...

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hey folks. Just a heads up that I will be continuing progress updates on this build with its own thread, to keep the review thread neat and tidy...

If interested, you can check it out HERE:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Flying Cinema Gimbal for CineTank released

UPDATE:

For the past several months, the boys over at Flying Cinema have been hard at work on a gimbal option for use specifically with the CineTank. After extensive testing they have released the CineGimbal, a 2-axis forward-facing gimbal that attaches directly to the Tank via holes that had been pre-designed into the existing frame, and allows for easy installation and removal (Flying Cinema claims 3-5 to install or remove).

The gimbal comes as just the raw skeleton, without any electronics or motors. Like they do for flight controllers, the Flying Cinema web site will list basic settings for various gimbal controllers to get you started in the ballpark for tuning. They also have suggested motors which have been used for the testing, which should guarantee a good fit if you're flying the CineTank.

Although the gimbal sits directly in front of the Tank, Flying Cinema is also releasing landing gear which will lift the frame off the ground (57mm lift) for more clearance. Both products are available for pre-order now.

View attachment 17969

Attachments

• CineGimbal.jpg
    CineGimbal.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 491

SoCal Blur

Very cool. I imagine that with the weight of the motors, the CG on the Tank will change. Do they offer suggestions about balancing the CineTank to get the CG back to center? Possibly they could consider a rear extension plate to allow you to shift the battery farther back to compensate without the battery just sticking out of the back, unprotected? Just thinking out loud.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Very cool. I imagine that with the weight of the motors, the CG on the Tank will change. Do they offer suggestion about balancing the CineTank to get the CG back to center? Possibly they could consider a rear extension plate to allow you to shift the battery farther back to compensate without the battery just sticking out of the back, unprotected? Just thinking out loud.

Funny you should say that. I have spoken with them about this exact thing, and they are gearing up to cut a plate that extends out the back for the battery. It's definitely needed now that everyone has these flying with a huge variety of batteries. The stock frame is great for a 3300mah 4S, but once you get bigger there is a need to move things around.

Some people are running the batteries on top to balance without the gimbal - because it needs to be forward of the planned position.