1001copters.com Photohigher News

Hi,

I'm opening this thread to keep you in the loop of the news incoming from Photohigher :)

As you surely knows, photohigher is working hard to improve his products. The first important thing to notice is that Photohigher is doing is best to have local mnufacturers. For example, the skyline is 100% manufactured in New Zealand. It's a great way to shorten the delay and to improve quality on the products: as the manufacturer is just 2 or 3 blocks away, it's easy to make some correction on the product or to have very fresh information about delivery.

Photohigher is working on several products actually.
First the Skyline stabilization card. It's dedicated to the AV130/200 and the futur HERO gimbals. Other gimbals are not yet supported like the cinestar that have shown an inverted roll. Photohigher focus on theirs products but perhaps we will see in the futur other gimbals supported with dedicated firmware: nothing sur for now.
View attachment 4491

Second: the HERO gimbals.
It's actually th best gimbal project I have seen. Direct drive motor system seems to be the futur of gimbal stabilization for multicopter and helicopter too. The carbon molded frame of the gimbal allows a great stifness and a very light weight.
Several models will be released before the end of june, Gp PRO model, GH2/NEX5 , and two other gimabl for heavy camera like the 5D mark II/III or camera like RED EPIC. A dedicated model for 3D video will also be released.
View attachment 4489View attachment 4493View attachment 4494View attachment 4490

Third: A parachute system.
As the market goes up, Flight autorities are producing news laws about flying work. In France for example we must have a system that limits the energy of the impact in case of crash. Photohighers is working on a parachute system that will allow safe landing in cae of problem. As the price of or system is rising, it's became more and more important to reduce the cost of a crash. these arachute system will be, I hope, a good opportunity to save stuffs :)
View attachment 4492

Photohigher have also designed a new camera tray in order to adjust very accuratly the center of gravitu of camera placed on the gimbals.
A new camera tray dedicated to EPIC camera will be released very soon (stay tuned ;) )

The skyline will be available within 1 or 2 weeks. the actual price you can find in several shop (including mine) is the price for preorder. It will rise to 35% more in the next month after the release.
HERO gimbals are scheduled for the end of june.
The balistic parachute system is still under devellopement but it's very promising :)

Attachments

• Hero-3000 [640x480].JPG
    Hero-3000 [640x480].JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 323
  • croppedimage715350-Hero-3D [640x480].JPG
    croppedimage715350-Hero-3D [640x480].JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 316
  • croppedimage715350-Picture-8 [640x480].jpg
    croppedimage715350-Picture-8 [640x480].jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 382
  • croppedimage715350-Picture-9 [640x480].jpg
    croppedimage715350-Picture-9 [640x480].jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 325
  • Hero-1000-with-GO-pro [640x480].JPG
    Hero-1000-with-GO-pro [640x480].JPG
    27.8 KB · Views: 323
  • Hero-2000 [640x480].jpg
    Hero-2000 [640x480].jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 345
Last edited by a moderator:

jrlederer

this is great news! thank you much for the update! I had spoken with Kimberly at length during NAB regarding a film project that was originally slated to be underway now actually in Puerto Rico, but has been slightly pushed back due to (who coulda guessed?) funding issues that suddenly arose due to an investor who backed out last minute. We had spoken about the possibility of getting the Hero 3000 suited for Epic camera by June 9th, but since I hadn't heard more from him I assumed it was impossible, but now I had better get in touch with him again and see about getting a first run of that awesome gimbal as we should b starting shooting within the month, and so it would be amazing to outfit this incredible machine with equally incredible gimbal and stabilization.

th parachute system is something that I wasn't made aware of, but I am happy to see that someone (especially as skilled, experienced, and bright as our boy Kimberly from NZ is!) i=has com t the conclusion that it can only be a beneficial component if don orderly can only prove to reduce the inherent risks of flying such a monstrosity overhead.

looking forward to more news as I becomes available!

--Jonathan

I am told this is not unusual for privately funded projects, but is actually the norm in all seriousness. Evidently a privately funded movie being completed is a mini-miracle in itself! well, at least the talent havn't made too big a deal about their contracts being fulfilled on time and have agreed to xtend th termsif their agreements, and so the movie s still on track, more or less.

Skyline update

Hi,

here are some fresh news about skyline:

Actually the firmware is still with 2 axes. Photohigher is working on the 3rd axe control.
Unless photohigher finish the firmware before next week, the delivered skyline will be 2 axes.
The 3rd axe control will be availble on the photohigher website when it will be available.

The delivery is scheduled for the next week so we can excpect to have the skuline in webshop within 2 weeks.

Best regards,
Cédric

Hi ddmt,

there's no official video available for the HERO product in action up to now.
As soon as it will be officialy available, I will post it on tweeter and here, and on MK-fr and on Rc ggroup :D

Skyline compatibility with cinestar

There are several questions about SKYLINE compatibility.

The skyline has been develloped for AV130/200 and HERO gimbals. Other gimbals may work with the skyline bu no support will be done: it's up to you to test it.

About the cinestar: the test made has shown that the skyline isn't compatible: the Roll is reversed. Maybe a servo inverter can do the trick maybe not. You have to understand that stabilization involves an algorythm of treatment.
Example: if you tilt the camera tray to the ground, the roll axis became a pan to continue working. So how does it works when the camera tray is tilted of 45° ? You have a mixing between roll and pan.
So the subject is more complex than it appears.

The software can evolve and PERHAPS a dedicated software wil be done one day but actually it's not scheduled.

Best regards,
Cédric

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
yeah, this has been confusing the heck out of me. I thought maybe the skyline didn't actually pitch with the tray and just stayed level ata ll times but thats not how it appears in the pics and videos.

As long as it works perfectly with my av200 I am happy as a clam. Are clams really that happy?

yeehaanow

It would certainly open up the market if it was compatible with other setups.
It seems odd that to reverse the output of the servo would be very hard?
That's the beauty of the Picloc, which can work with anything.

Is there a software with this, to adjust settings?

Well... the "Market" for photohigher is composed by the gimbals, not the skyline.
The skyline is nice but that's not the product that give much money to Photohigher I think. Considering this, it's not a good commercial politics to make his product compatible with other gimbals because people should use the skyline on other gimbals.
:)

Two new camera tray for the AV200 will be available very soon: one is for the RED EPIC, and the second one wil replace the actual.
It's a new camera tray that will allow a much better control on the position of the camera in the gimbal allowing a better balancing and consequently a better compensation.

As soon as photos are available, I will post it there ;)

Best regards,
Cédric

Hi,

Some news about the skylines.
I talked about a production problem early. Here's what happened: During the molding process (Skylines are embedded in plastic housing) a protocol wasn't strictly observed and this have lead to inclose some air inside the skyline, destroying a sensitive device.
On the 312 skyline manufactured, 160 have been destroyed by this havoc. Photohigher have worked VERY hard to repair this production problem and to insure that all the skyline ordered will be dispatched as soon as possible. The second batch is already on his way :)

The moulding protocol has been cleared to avoid this problem again.

Well, I think that this mould is dampening vibrations and we have seen that it's a problem with the pickok.
On the problem described by Kim a air bubble have destroyed on of the component so perhaps it needs to be air free ?

Hi,

here's a video shooted from Booma, beta tester for Photohigher.he lies colse to Photohigher's office.
The video shows av AV200 equiped with the BETA direct drive system. It's shooted with a GH2 with the 7-14 lens set at 7mm.

End of May, SUe told me that the direct drive system for AV130 and AV200 was not in the plannning anymore, perhaps later. booma just told that this system will be available within 6 weeks.
I will investigate and have a phone call with the nice Sue to have informations ;)

Hi again :)
lots of news today :)

Here's the two new battery tray for the AV200.

first this one will replace the previous on stock AV200:

As you can see the thickness is more important on this camera tray to avoid torque probblems when using a heavy camera. no more need to use the plate stiffener :)
More holes have been placed to make a fine tuning of the gravity center.

And this one is the new camera tray for RED EPIC camera:

Attachments

• P1000383.JPG
    P1000383.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 264
  • P1000386.jpg
    P1000386.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 340

Hi,

a new firmware is available for the skyline: V1.1.4 (thank you Chris Hornby for your watchfulness ;) )

- Fixed bug in roll
- Cut-off when servos go the wrong way or if there is somthing wrong such as pot input is unpluged.
- Switch between normal and slew transmitter control - for both roll and tilt.