Panasonic Lumix GH2 video settings, what do you use? I need help.

ctbon

ah get it the letters at the bottom, could hardly see them on the small screen cut off

Thanks

ahhh...you are trying it on your netbook...I tried that too...very frustrating. I ended up using my mac using winebottler which works great. The only reason I use windows is for mk-tools. I loathe windows...that's another subject. I hacked my GH2 but I'm still working on trying to get the settings right for flying. The problem for me is that I live in a mountainous, foresty area so it's usually underexposed in some parts and overexposed in others.

ctbon

Today I went out just to test my new props and made this video with the GH2:

nice video! it seems very smooth...was it stabilized in post? what gimbal are you using? the lens looks like a fisheye...which one did you use? the Samyang 7.5mm looks like a good deal.

llbr22

@ctbon,
I've usde the same setup as you can see right at the beginning of the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvF9Uw67ts4
The gimbal is self made and it was connected to the FC.
I use the 8mm Panasonic lens, when I bought it there was no other option, but the Samyang should give you similar results.

How long are the arms on your frame? I'm starting to think my 850mm rig is too big around.. Yours seems nice and compact.

I'm also inspired now to go with a picloc, the DJI is just not fast enough.

Nice work!

llbr22

I shot this on Friday with the GH2 and being a nice bright day, I was able to go with a small aperture. This was shot at f16 and for the aerial shots it kept everything in nice, sharp focus

Last edited by a moderator:

hexacop

HexaCop
@lbr22
I build by frame out of one 2m carbon tube. So each arm is exactly 33.3cm and in total it may not be larger than 72cm but still large enough to fit 13' props.
During last flight I did not use the Picloc because I have only one and I share it with one of my friends.

mickos

ETC mode causing hang?

I gave it a try and the footage looked good, but then after a few test shoots my camera hang and needed to be rebooted by removing the battery. Of course the last video was not recorded.
Since this experience I have installed the original FW 1.1 again and I'm happy to have a reliable camera which work in all conditions.
In my opinion we have bigger issues to solve before considering to use such little enhancements with flying GH2 cams.
Today I went out just to test my new props and made this video with the GH2:

Yeah, just shot several hours of footage of orienteers in forest and parks - managed to get a "hang" requiring a battery removal and restart on a clip - when using ETC mode and a 100-300mm manual Nikon lens on one of the Flowmotion 100i 60fp modes. Switched out of ETC (which was useful!) after reboot and all was fine for rest of day. Flowmotion is supposed to be OK for ETC but I suspect that it requires more processor power and maybe only works in one of the 24p modes perhaps. But the hack for 1.1 will be available soon and will be useful for PAL shooters!

Last edited by a moderator:

brandcook

I looked at the GH2 set up guide and found it helpfull but the SET EXPOSURE on my menue is not highlighted so cannot change.
I'm very old and new to the world of digital cameras and easerly confused, I am finding the instruction book supplied with the the GH2 very very frustrating, is there an easy to understand book explaining the set up and use of the GH2.

mickos

getting started, GH-2

The forum at www.personal-view.com is very helpful for starters. And a quickstart guide is at http://osgfilms.com/gh2-quickstart/

I looked at the GH2 set up guide and found it helpfull but the SET EXPOSURE on my menue is not highlighted so cannot change.
I'm very old and new to the world of digital cameras and easerly confused, I am finding the instruction book supplied with the the GH2 very very frustrating, is there an easy to understand book explaining the set up and use of the GH2.

brandcook

Thanks will check these out. Is this book worth getting - The Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2: The Unofficial Quintessential Guide.